Zika Virus

Hi Guys, I've been doing a lot of reading on the Zika Virus which affects mostly pregnant women. What has been your experience there, have you seen any cases or experienced anything yourself?

None here on the north coast...Yet, but it will be coming.

Some tourists are starting to think about other plans.

Bob K

We are going to be there for a month, and much too late to cancel our travel plans. The worse case scenario with this is a fever, aches and flu symptoms for a few days apparently unless you are a pregnant mother.

It is here and there are several dozen cases.  The gov't is trying to educate people and fumigated.

If you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant stay away. If you live here use repellant, fumigate and make sure there is no standing water in and around where you live. If someone you know has it, they need to make sure they don't spread it via additional mosquito bites, it can be passed on.

If you were coming to visit for a month, what would you do? We've had second thoughts about this now.

We will be coming to the North coast staying near the sea and the complex has a pool.  Could this be a problem.  We have electronic repellents etc

We are in a similar position, have a villa rented, about 2 minute walk to ocean, with a pool.

Are any of you pregnant or trying to get pregnant? Yes = stay away.  No then come on vacation. And take precautions.

Correct if you are pregnant or plan on getting  pregnant here then make other plans otherwise I would not change my plans and as Planner said use repellent (at least 25% DEET).

Bob K

And other plans means -  no Caribbean,  South America, Mexico, Central America!   

Soon it will appear in Florida, other southern US states and California, meaning when it gets warm enough there!

Read, get educated on this and do not panic or fear monger.  Its not necessary unless you are pregnant or want to be, then you need to worry and stay away.

Bob

Is this repellent (at least 25% DEET) available anywhere, because a lot of what they put on the packets or unit is almost un readable.

It is not your regular repellent - Off doesn't have enough DEET, but DEEP WOODS OFF does.   I have a stash here as I had a bunch of employees.  I had it brought down from Canada.

Yes the bottles are damn hard to read, especially when they slap that second label in Spanish on top of the English!

Yes we bring our Deep Woods OFF (25%DEET) from the US. Whenever we are back in the States of someone is visiting from there we bring it in.

Bob K

Yes those second labels are a pain in the ass.  Why not just put it next to the English one.  Trying to hide that it is imported :D:D:D:D  I spend a lot of time peeling them off so I can read the labels and especially the sugar content.

In the US if you did that the Spanish community would be up in arms.

Bob K