How safe is Malta considering it's proximity to Libya/Tunisia etc

I am considering moving to Malta with my husband and our 2 year old (currently living in Ireland). This might sound like a silly question, but I would just like to ask your opinion regarding Malta's safety in terms of terror threats, the proximity to countries like Libya, migrant crisis and all the recent events. Is there much talk about this in Malta? Are you worried? thanks in advance

Its an island in the Mediterranean it is as safe as anywhere else .. you cannot live your life running scared of what might happen

After living in South East London for most of my life, in areas of dubious persuasion! Also working in the City in London and being aware of Terrorist attacks on a daily basis, I must admit that Malta is definitely safe!!! Statistically there is no heightened threat from any group , politically or otherwise.
I feel safe, people I have come across are helpful, kind , supportive and friendly.
The roads are busy here, but I'm more than used to that from London, so really I cant complain.
Some people are wary of a place called Paceville, but I am very used to avoiding a place where there's clubs or loud music, drinking etc from being a Londoner! You must simply chose common sense and if that's not for you, then don't go there!
Much luck to you and yours! :)
Debbie

I moved here from Ireland in December 2015 and feel much safer in Malta than Dublin. In recent years there were so many reports of stabbings in North Dublin but also Temple Bar that make Paceville look almost peaceful in comparison ;)

Not sure where you live in Ireland but in Dublin I was often scared walking home at night on my own. Dublin 1 and surroundings was also full of heroin junkies.. Have not seen anything like this in Malta so far.

Regarding terror threats: I agree with Rob! You cannot live your life scared where and when they could strike. It could be anywhere really. I remember Ireland was also one of the flags released on their "hit list" but perhaps they reconsidered after reading this Irish man's open letter "we're only here for the craic!" :Dhttp://www.buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarren/ … .op1MqmeYe

that article is gas! thanks!

thanks for your replies guys!

hi its absolutely the most safe place on earth if its not the only one im telling this its not because im Maltese or im going to gain something its because the truth and im glad that im Maltese...

Its safe from terrorism mainly because of its size and newsworthiness, terrorist these days want maximum publicity and Malta is just too small to "cut it".

Normal law breaking is generally small scale and a bit like rural England in the 70's where everyone  knows their neighbours, (paceville ) excepted.

Terry

Come on dont be critical :) Malta its PARADISE near other countries hey dont take it personal u have ur own way i have mine everyone has different ways so...

Marlon M wrote:

Come on dont be critical :) Malta its PARADISE near other countries hey dont take it personal u have ur own way i have mine everyone has different ways so...

I guess you have not travelled around much if you think Malta is paradise and I'm not criticising Malta !   :/

Terry

So you should know better then me than the difference between Malta and other countries...

tearnet wrote:
Marlon M wrote:

I guess you have not travelled around much if you think Malta is paradise and I'm not criticising Malta !   :/

Terry

Don't feed trolls ;)

I agree with you Marlon......I do think Malta and Gozo are a "Paradise", albeit, of sorts!

Its purely a personal judgement and obviously everyone has had multiple life experiences, completely different from everyone else, but for me Malta makes me feel safe and happy!
😃 Debbie

Im trying to say  that Malta is PARADISE because if you see the difference between other countries Malta is the most safe but remember bad things are everywhere even in church so... Malta have alott of bad things as everywhere its not unique...

Exactly!!!..........😊

so i say to every expat in Malta just enjoy the Moment here  :cheers:

I agree that Malta is indeed a very safe place to live and to raise kids, with a great climate, great views and so on...if it wasn't for the lack of common sense and manners from a lot of people, I would probably call it a paradise!

I think if im not mad Malta is PARADISE near other countries and im Glad that im Maltese its like a Dream here i dont even dream to leave my country for another country yes we are very small and we are very poor near other countries like for ex USA UK ITALY RUSSIA ect but the most important for me that i am safe full stop. Near libya and tunisia? the answer is automaticaly worked 101% just enjoy our heaven on earth dear expats  :cheers:

Malta is a safe place to live , as a woman you can walk anywhere alone day or night and not feel worried (except Paceville!)

Crime is minimal, most of what there is is not the general public, a few pickpocket incidents in summer in tourist areas like Sliema.

Generally you live happily and not be bothered, its very relaxed, people leave cars unlocked and sometimes houses, they used to always do so!

Rob....i expect you will be moving to Libya shortly.

Rockiowa....What's Rob said that can be offensive? Hey rockiowa I've just spent 10 years in Dallas...give me a break.there are places there that are certainly no go areas. I'm off to Malta soon and after my experience in DFW (the good old USA) the better.  :dumbom:

rockiowa wrote:

Rob....i expect you will be moving to Libya shortly.

What do you mean?

:):) Exactly, im not a resident in Malta or Gozo yet!! but anywhere you care to live in the world has a certain amount of danger, and I've seen many of those places, Malta appears to me to be one of those places that remain what they have always been, a place where you can chose to live your life in peace,
Others may want to try to take that liberty away but the people of Malta whether they realize it or not have held onto it. So relax, if you were inLondon, Paris or New York then you would have to be worried. I'll be there ASAP peace  :thanks:

how nice is the Truth this is the Truth enjoy ppl from all over the world  :cheers:

Being a small island strategically  in the middle of the mediteranean for any activity good or bad we consider ourselves as lucky compared with most european and other surrounding countries.  So far our share of danger or negativity was negligible like with like.

never any problems in my 10 years here . I find it very safe .

A spokesman for ISIS stated that one of their aims was to reconquer Spain as parts of Spain had been a muslim country until the early 1600s. After that conquest maybe Malta will be the next target as Malta was muslim until the early 1000s.

Well, the countdown on war in Libya is on following todays US airstrikes on IS locations to the west of Tripolis.

Although it will not directly effect Malta if airstrikes in LIbya contuinue  it is obviously not very far away .  The war against ISIL is on and moves closer to Malta. But , on the other side, many IS terrorists have returned to mainland Europe with the refugee influx and Malta is probably to small and isolated to make it an interesting target !

Syria and Iraq are quite far away , Tunesia and LIbya are close by.

Let's hope it stays this way that the focus is elsewhere.

Cheers
Ricky