Best cities to live in the Philippines

I agree, in some parts, to that opinion that "in the Philippines, as with most third world countries, the local people do not like having their noses rubbed in the problems that they encounter every day".  Filipinos are quite sensitive to hear foreigners saying negative stuff about the Philippines or the Filipinos; that it is too polluted, that traffic is horrendous, that there are garbage on the streets, that it is not safe to stroll along the streets, that Filipinos are not as friendly and welcoming as many are led to believe, etc.  I suppose, one will say these kind of opinions because they have standards they are used to. Most often than not, the standards are those of the so called first world countries.  So yes, with that standards the said opinions may be said to be correct.

it is true that Filipinos cannot take a negative comment coming from the mouth of a foreigner sitting down.  We are sensitive. Filipinos are not like those from the first world countries that are so outspoken and liberal in expressing their so called opinions not because these opinions are not true-in fact, most of them are true-but simply because Filipinos are naturally sensitive on those issues.  I myself was wondering why we ar,e so I tried to find the reason behind.   And what I found out is interestingly painful.

For 300 hundred years, the pearl of the orient was under Spanish colonization.  during those times, Spanish people were the aristocrats and the Filipinos as the "indios" or the ignorant, the inferior ones, except for those few rich Filipinos who chose to "collaborate" with the aristocrats.  The aristocrats, as with most white colonizers, set the regulations and standards in the society.  The colonizers would say that indios are best tilling the lands for crops, that indios should feel contended tilling the land and not aspire to learn in school because that is for aristocrats, that we should not speak and socialize with the aristocrats because it is not good or speak only when asked, etc.  These explains why many Filipinos love rice; they eat rice breakfast, lunch and dinner and surprisingly even their snacks are with rice! (many of my Caucasian friends find that amusing and weird)  Imagine tilling the land from 5 AM til 5 PM; you need a lot of carbo to burn energy. Many foreigners also say that Filipino dish is so simple; in  a dish there is the meat, the vegetables and the soup all together.  Because Indios did not have much time on those things.  The land is their life.

For 300 years, these became embedded  in the psychological set up of the indios.  These 300 years have molded the minds of the Filipino ancestors. and that 300 years was exacerbated by another years of domination and colonization by the Americans who brought their own standards and took over what was left by the former colonizer. Thanks God we were taught the English language.  The set up was the same but the new colonizer was democratic so they claim and with lots of euphemism.   This is how  Filipinos are molded to be.  That what become of the Filipino culture.

Why Filipinos are sensitive and not direct?  Maybe because we felt, unknowingly, that foreigners who speak negatively of the Philippines or the Filipinos reverberate the unfortunate traces of that era of colonization; maybe because such negativity touches, indirectly, on the kind of culture Filipinos have been forced to have; maybe because Filipinos are not used to speak directly of negative things particularly when you do not know the person or the place or whatever, or maybe because it just simply painful to know the truth. 

"The right to know the truth is ours".  I could not agree more  Foreigner and Filipinos alike deserve the truch. I suppose you exerted effort to know the truth when you have that opinion which I truly respect. ,

Lastly, I have doubts as to the substantiality of the statement that "(T)he 'truth' varies from  person to person, that is usually called an opinion".  Truth is either black and while.  A truth is a fact; hence, it does not vary from person to person.  An opinion is not a statement of fact; it is an expression of perception molded by your understanding and your biases.  Hence, peoples' opinion varies.

Baguio City is a good choice...

Hi everybody,

Just to inform you that i have removed some off topic posts from this thread.

Do note that we are here to share our best cities to live in the Philippines .

Thank you,

Priscilla :)

Hi Colin,

If you want a resort type of living, best location is Tagaytay City. Easily accessible from Ninoy Aquino International Airport via SLEX-Sta.Rosa-Tagaytay Road which will only take around 1 hour and 10 minutes. Or using the Coastal Road Expressway and the Aguinaldo Highway.
See direction here ---> Directions

Tagaytay is the 2nd Summer Capital of the Philippines because of its its mild climate. It sits on a ridge above Taal Volcano Island, surrounded by a magnificent and breathtaking view of Taal Lake. Tagaytay is located 2500 feet above sea level.  See Tagaytay landscape here ---> Tagaytay Landscape

The city has a very good potential in terms of business development as this is one of the best tourist destination in the South Luzon and lots of tourists visiting the place on a year round.

Popular Places in Tagaytay:
Tagaytay Picnic Grove
People's Park In The Sky
Divine Word Seminary
41st Division USAFFE Marker
11th Airborne Division Marker
Filipino-Japanese Friendship Garden
The Flower Farm
St. Anne's Shrine
Sky Ranch
Ayala Malls Serin
Nurture Wellness Village
Paradizoo

I hope it helped you Colin. Please feel free should you want to learn more about the beautiful places here. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Joan

Hi Joe

Puerto Princesa Palawan is what a good lady friend of mine who is from Kalibo has been saying to me to visit next. I have only been to Boracay, Subic Bay and Manila so far, although I have visited Batangas and Tagaytai for one day, I really haven't travelled much in Philippines.

I am nearing my fifties and would really love to settle somewhere in Philippines, but not sure where and is it safe, will there be Expats living close by to communicate to as I haven't found my lady to settle down with, I have met several but still deciding which one.

Cheers
Yuki

My advice is to find the place you want to live then find your partner. Of course every girl will tell you her place is the best. Even though she most probably has travelled very little. I live in Davao City and I have met many foreigners who moved to the provinces to meet a woman but after the honeymoon period is over they miss the lack of amenities. In the provinces there are few choices in western food stuffs, inadequate power and water supplies and often poor roads. Cable TV may not be available and internet unreliable. Davoa city is out of the typhoon zone. Has world class water supply and the lowest crime rate in not only the Philippines but Asia. It's a progressive city with many modern amenities. Beware gold digging women. They have developed it to an art form for the gullible. Good luck Norm Allard

I'm certain every city has it's advantages.  I live in Puerto! for the past 10 years.  (On and off when I'm not teaching somewhere in the world.)  I like the idea that the airport is right in the city (although, I should mention they call it a city, but it is a growing town!)  There are plenty of places to eat.  They have there hospitals here, Bay Walk, and coffee shops.  I should also mention that Puerto has its own Immigration office where you can extend your visa.

It is the best kept secret if you ask me, but then again, I'm certain many other places are just as beautiful.

Come take a look, contact me for a place to stay and we can get coffee together!

Joe

@ Norm Allard.

Would you kindly share the source of your claim,regards to Davao City is the safest city in the Philippines .
As far as the world-class water -supply available in Davao city. .I visited Davao city earlier this year,and i can tell you,tap-water was not drinkable. Hardly world-class.

dear Xilefnerrad

Reading your message here has encouraged me to write my thoughts in reference to your letter. I am very pleased to hear such insight into the Filipino culture and mindset, that has enhanced and enlightened my little but precious knowledge I have gathered from your Philippine history.

I simply love history whether ancient or modern and in your writing I have expanded my own knowledge into the culture that I have come to enjoy and treasure with my own visits to your country.

As a single man and very well cultured in my fifties I come from the Arts as well as keen photographer, music, sport and cooking, I have come to appreciate what Philippines as a country and people are all about, the femininity of your women, beauty of landscape, culture, traditions, weather and of course food, which I am keen to learn and cook myself.

When ever I meet a Filipino lady, I would never imagine to look down upon her for various reasons. As a man who have lived in Australia for the last forty plus years I am forever sympathetic, considerate, respectful, enlightened, conscious and most of delighted to meet such friendly and deeply quite people, I had a lovely mother and two sisters whom have raised me with all the love the world can offer. As an artist and painter, I have painted and sketched many models it just happened that most of the models have been women, some have been men. Whenever I go out with a Filipino lady there is not a single moment that would make me think ill of her position in society or standard of living, in fact I have vowed to myself that if I win a large sum of money I will serve to help and support many people from the Philippines. 

There is never enough time to express my desire to visit your country as much as I can, I am very much attracted to your women's features, their attitude, mannerism, feminine touch that makes me melt in fact, this alone is such an attractive trait that women in Australia and in the western world have lost completely from my perception as a sensitive and well mannered man.

having been to Subic Bay, Angeles, Boracay and Manila, I am forever respectful and appreciative to enter your complex and colorful society every time.  And look forward to your response, have a merry Christmas

cheers
yuki

So I got married in the Philippines and was thinking about building a house in tagaytay but i keep seeing people say there are better and cheaper places so I would like know what options I have i been Baguio and I didn't not like it a lot the weather was nice but a bit to crowded for me

Tagum City, Davao del Norte. One of the sprouting city in Mindanao.. Cheaper cost of living as well as accessible to various facilities.. 1.5hours from Davao City..

Thank you so much how the weather at some of this places I what a not to hot like Manila lol

See facts of Tagum City on Google.. Weather here is range from 20 degrees- 32 during summer.. The most last year was 33 degrees.. Its always a combination of dry and rainy.. Even on summer.. No floods here, and has better hospitals, 7 malls, wide roads (6 lanes, main highway, 4 lanes for not) no traffic..

By the way, this is one of the cleanest city too.. And security is quite good.. Centre of commerce in Davao del Norte..

http://thetravelteller.com/why-i-keep-c … -of-tagum/

See link.

I would recommend my town, Daet. It's not a city but it's a busy town with one mall and SM hypermart. There are also beaches here but not much night life. try and visit our town sometime

If you want quite and beautiful try Coron Palawan. I've been there once and I would love to stay more over there because of the beautiful islands and some portion of islands is white beach.. so clean and no rubbish.

But more commercial, beautiful, in Metro Manila I suggest BGC ang Makati.

Retiring in a year and heading to the Philippines!  I am lucky in a way because my wife has no desire to live in her province (Zambales) :-) She has been away for almost 40 years and has outgrown it.  But that has made the decision on where to live that much harder.
We lived in Makati for 5 years which was great.....even greater because I worked at the U.S. Embassy and they paid for my house.  Looking at what I would have to pay myself for the same house now made my head hurt.  I love Makati but don't know if it is possible to live there as a retiree.
Baguio i visited again on vacation in December.  It has gone downhill badly.  It used to be lovely, quaint, and charming in the 1980s -- they even had pine trees on the surrounding mountains instead of houses
Tagaytay was also visited in December.  It took 5 hours to get there on a weekend from Manila.  The traffic was appalling and the crowds horrendous.  Living with that on a regular basis would be irritating to put it mildly.
The search for that elusive retirement little piece of heaven continues.

Hi friends. I read about Bukidnon province, but could anybody suggest me, which city in Bukidnon province is safer, cheaper and with most pleasant cool climate ?
I read various posts about Mindanao generally but I think none of the country in the world is 100% safe now a days!!!.
So what i want to find out is a place with pleasant cold climate, peaceful and cheaper to live as a retiree.
Thanks you'll in advance,

Regards
Ajith

you mean over 1000 murders remain unsolved makes Davao a safe city??? I think not safer in Iligan city even though close to terrorists

why live in the Philippines if you want what you left behind? I live in Iligan city Mindanao They have pork,,chicken, beef. pretty much the same as every country. What do you mean by western food? processed crap or what?  The only lacking here is decent cheese and cheap vino. Does for me, never eat processed meats anyway too many unknowns

IO suggest you get your racist thoughts out of your head I have been in and around the Philippines since 2004 that makes 13 years . I have had several filipinas and was married for 10 years before we divorced. I have a new g/f and live in Iligan city and now have 4 jeepney when in Cebu I had 19 taxi's. I don't profess  to know all but I venture to dare I know better than you. With your poor attitude to the Philippines I'm not surprised you don't get liked. Me I have great banter with all, we as foreigners are not better than them and if you treat people anywhere in the world with suspicion you will never fit in. Go back to where you think nobody is going to rip you off, but maybe you brought that attitude with you so nowhere will you be happy.

hi Davjot

just read your comments and I am not sure who was the racist you were referring and wrote about Philippine culture but I agree with you totally.

Although an Australian who have been to this country several times but not yet lived there, I get along with many of these quietly spoken and gentle people of the Philippines.

And I am sure some of the locals can be violent and cause all sorts of harm to foreigners, but I choose to stay as positive as possible and enjoy what Philippines has to offer. Apart from the women, I simply enjoy the food, culture, beauty, complex and colorful country that is the Philippines.

thank you for your experienced comments as I appreciate what other foreigners have lived through,

take care
cheers

Hi Xilefnerrand

just read your comments here and it was quite enlightening to read your knowledge regarding your Filipino culture and what Colonizers have left behind. I am not surprised to what Colonizers have done to your Philippines and other parts of the world as well.

Having been to Philippines several times now as I find your culture very friendly and engaging in so many ways. I hear all sorts of stories about how Foreigners view Filipino people and their mentality, I would say to all who are negative when they come to this colorful and complex society please leave your negative views behind in your part of the world and try and relax and enjoy what Philippines has to offer.
I have learned from past mistakes and try and stay positive when I visit Philippines every single time, I find many Filipino people quite engaging and friendly in so many ways and they really have a great sense of humour. uman beings are human beings wherever you go, we all want to be respected and acknowledged this goes to all people of the world.

I appreciate your country and would visit this colorful and complex society as much as I could, women are not just my attraction but as an Artist and photographer I view the beauty and culture very inspiring in so many ways not to mention the food, wow, you have some very delicious food.

take care
cheers

Hi, I have lived and traveled all over the Philippines for 7 years.

For safety...Subic Bay Freeport Zone

For best weather...Tagaytay

For girls...Cebu

For beach living...Panglao

For bars and party...Angeles City

If you have a need for the luxuries of home, I would say Cebu is the best place to live if you have money. Maybe somewhere like Marco Polo Condo on the hill, clean, great views, safe etc. but out of the traffic and pollution in the heart of the city.

Other than that I would go to a place such as Iloilo City or Bacolod City as the best medium size cities.

If you want to live a simple, low cost life and don't need or care about many luxuries, then there are beautiful small towns in the provinces all over the Philippines. Men usually choose this option if they have a Filipina wife and they enjoy living by her family sometimes on the same land next door.

What do you mean by "For Girls"?

Use your imagination it's not rocket science and

Great thread. First, I'm amazed at the many expats that live outside of Davao, in Mindanao. I'm sure you'll say how safe you are, but is risky. I agree with the general idea that you simply come here and look around. Before you leave, identify many places that seem interesting. I came over 3 years ago, and spent 5 days each in the following places: Angeles, Tagaytay, Puerto Galera, Bohol (Panglao), Dumaguete and Cebu City. They all had their own different vibes. I then went to Santa Fe, on Bantayan Island and stayed. To each their own. It's small and can get boring, but the beaches are incredible. $300 for a new 2-bed home, western style, fully furnished, 70 yards from Sugar Beach. Cheap food. Can drive atv's here.

No one has brought up Tagaytay's problem: It is on a mountain "ridge." You cannot widen the roads, yet the population is booming with those damn condos they just built. Bacolod and Iloilo are very nice towns (with a fun little island in-between--I enjoyed Guimaras). but, if you are coming to meet girls...not so good. I have loved it here. The people. The smiles. Their is one town here, I'd say as a foreigner, do NOT live there...Tacloban.

expatandrew wrote:

Great thread. First, I'm amazed at the many expats that live outside of Davao, in Mindanao. I'm sure you'll say how safe you are, but is risky. I agree with the general idea that you simply come here and look around. Before you leave, identify many places that seem interesting. I came over 3 years ago, and spent 5 days each in the following places: Angeles, Tagaytay, Puerto Galera, Bohol (Panglao), Dumaguete and Cebu City. They all had their own different vibes. I then went to Santa Fe, on Bantayan Island and stayed. To each their own. It's small and can get boring, but the beaches are incredible. $300 for a new 2-bed home, western style, fully furnished, 70 yards from Sugar Beach. Cheap food. Can drive atv's here.

No one has brought up Tagaytay's problem: It is on a mountain "ridge." You cannot widen the roads, yet the population is booming with those damn condos they just built. Bacolod and Iloilo are very nice towns (with a fun little island in-between--I enjoyed Guimaras). but, if you are coming to meet girls...not so good. I have loved it here. The people. The smiles. Their is one town here, I'd say as a foreigner, do NOT live there...Tacloban.

Howdy and welcome to paradise. I agree totally on all counts. Many good places here to drop anchor and call home. Cost of living can't be beat and at least there is never any snow and ice to worry about. We've been here a lot of years and find it good living. Lots of good stuff back in the States also but too expensive and way to many problems there now for me to go back ~ even for a visit.

Davao City is one of the best places I've ever been in the Philippines.

Hi I am wondering what are the good and bad area's of Davao to live?

I live in Davao city close to the beach. Quite, peaceful, clean with excellent roads and  drainage, safe and close to Lol shopping and amenitys. To each his own.

It has been 5 years last I was there.  But the area near the ferry to Samal island was nice.  Just far enough out of downtown so air was good. Close to the ferry. So you could take a taxi there then bus the island for a getaway. So close to the big city. Far enough outside the city to relax. The island had the pearelfarm, hangerly springs, nice beach there diving & such. But as said been 5 years. So may have changed.  Not to far down the road at the T for nightlife & dinning out. Good markets in area for shopping.  Mid distance to the big mall. Easy to get to imigration from there. There was a sub office near Victoria mall. But all might have changed.

Beaches are amazing

HI. My name is Craig. I am interested in  Davao area because from what I read it has more infrastructure than Tagilibran , Bohol where I live now with my wife to be.

I would appreciate any insights you have for a 64 year old former ESL teacher and his 47 year old wife to be about where to look to live in Davao.

I moved to PL on August 1, 2017. I moved from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I am experiencing culture shock because of the lack of access to grocery stores, internet and medical care as compared to Puerto Valllarta.

Nicolen and I have looked at apartments in the city of Tagilbran but found only four, none located in a pleasant  street.

HI from Craig Cothren and Nicolen Carmat.

We live in Bohol and are a middle to old age couple. I am 64 and Nicolen is 47.

It sound like you are living in an area we would enjoy. Could you describe the area you live more to us. We will arrive on September 5, 2017 to start looking in Davao and would be appreciative to learn more about areas just like you live in now can be found. My email is ***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I found my wife on the web site Cherry Blossoms.com. I meet Nicolen in March, 2017. We sent each other emails first, then move to talking on Skype and then started to you the Latin American APP "WhatsApp". Often the connection on WhatsAPP is better than Skype.
I moved to be with Nicolen on August 1, 2017, Things have worked out very well. She is 47, I am 64. The only less than positive aspect about being in PL is that I do not much care fore Bohol because it is a little backwards in terms medical care, gyms and housing. Therefore, we are looking to move.

But if you want to find someone, checkout Cherry Blossoms. It is up to you in talking with different ladies who you are most compatible with. For me I found someone with a great work ethic, great sense of humor, and am sure our marriage will last. Good luck in your search to find someone and end all lonely nights. Craig

Craig, Davao city is clean safe and has a decent infrastructure. It has good shopping facilities and medical care. I have lived here for five years and I enjoy living at Gulfview Subdivision. Best of luck, Norm

I have lived in Davao, Lapu-lapu and Dumaguete. Davao is nice but people are not as friendly as Cebu also has a bombing every couple of years. Lapu-lapu which is near Cebu city has poor air quality but being cheaper than Cebu and I could grab a v-hire and for 35 pesos be at SM Cebu or Ayala. Dumaguete is very nice but has too many expats for my liking. There is no perfect place because if there was 20000 expats would be there tomorrow.

With have lived in Davao City for five years and you couldn't be more wrong. It seems you have a problem, not the people of Davao City.