Best cities to live in Mexico

Yes, campeche, merida, chetumal
I have lived in chetumal for ten years, owning a property on the bahia

The, you are not fit for being an expat if only moving where we know someone.  I think this is the route to disaster to depend on that.  Just my opinion

hi there -- just wondering where in Mexico you live--- I'm looking to relocate in cancun area--

Do you know anyone that is living there  ?

tks Shay

Hello ,

I found your post on expat.com. I am myself a single woman living in the state and looking for the same things as you are, living by the ocean with a small budget in a safe area. Did you make any progress in your research? If so would you mind sharing the information you found? It would be greatly appreciated.

Teavai wrote:

Hello ,

I found your post on expat.com. I am myself a single woman living in the state and looking for the same things as you are, living by the ocean with a small budget in a safe area. Did you make any progress in your research? If so would you mind sharing the information you found? It would be greatly appreciated.

It would be helpful if you could let us know who you are talking to Teava.

Thanks for this!   Will only be in Mexico for the winter months (4-5 mo.).

There are lots of great cities to live in in Mexico.   And there are some not so great, too.    It really depends on who you are.

I've lived in Playa almost a year. It great, lots of English speakers, shopping,food,entertainment  etc. See everythingplayadelcarmen.com. My funky apt was $433.00 a month w wifi,tv and elec included.Most Ist world places probably more like $600 and up.

Yours is one of the first posts I saw after just joining this site - we have some things in common,  so thank you for the encouragement as I begin this possibly daunting process of relocating!

Hola again I stayed in a hotel for a week and walked around looking at for rent signs to find mine . It was in area near MEGA grocery store and 4 blocks from beach. Colonia Hollywood is nice ,good restaurants at good prices. Papa Charley's and Cafe Chou Chou ! Good places to meet expats and locals. Also Lido Beach restaurant near lighthouse . See Vivanuncios.com/ Mx. And Facebook groups.for rentals. Buena Suerte

Merida, Merida, Merida!  Wonderful city!

True enough and safer ! But centro is polluted and the city is hot ! Prices better than Playa by 20 % I'd say

I have two homes in centro.  Not polluted.  Merida is hot.  You learn to go out early or late in the day and enjoy your pool in between.  😊

Chapala is not cold and is quite close to all the hospitals of Guadalajara.   I am really amazed to see somebody here posting the contrary...

Isn't Chapala getting a bit pricey due to the huge influx of gringos? Also harder to find reasonable rentals?

So you are both right about Merida, it is polluted and not polluted depending on where in Merida, and what you mean by polluted.

There is the tourist showplace with old well-restored houses,  very historical, and very clean. Then there are the areas more in old El Centro where you will see trash and poorly maintained buildings. Every city has its pretty parts and the not so pretty parts.

True.  Restaurants are AMAZING!

I live in San Juan Cosala on Lake Chapala and go to Costco, Petco, Home Depot about once a month. It is a 45 minute drive, most of which is not congested.

I live with a beautiful view of the lake with great neighbors.

So it may not work for you but it works incredibly well for me. I don't need USA corporations within 15 or 20 minutes of me in order to be happy or have a meaningful life. I am glad they are there and my monthly trip to them is plenty.

You really need to visit. Lake Chapala's climate is perfect for this Californian that detests 106 degree summers and forest fires. I moved from the San Francisco Bay twenty years ago to avoid "busy, busy." "Boring" is subjective.

AVOID COASTAL CITIES; THAT IS WHERE MOST OF THE EXPATS LIVE; AND THE PRICES ON EVERYTHING R OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH  BECAUSE IF THEIR PRESENCE. CANCUN REALLY BAD RIGHT NOW. SAW ARTICLE THAT 20 LOCAL POLICE WERE ARRESTED BY STATE POLICE AND FEDERALES FOR BEING PART OF THE CARTELS NETWORK I LIVE IN JUAREZ

I live in Akumal... about 60 miles South of Cancun.

I really love the Pacific.   I am only there for part of the winter and enjoy small towns.   If I want something lively with more people I go to Puerto Vallarta.   If you book at least 6 months prior to your travel dates, you can usually arrange for a nice long-term rental.   Don't know anything about buying.    Also, San Miguel de Allende is rich with culture and beauty.

There are many good cities in Mexico.
https://cdn.resize.sparkplatform.com/pvr/640x480/true/20180606231559335615000000-o.jpg
https://cdn.resize.sparkplatform.com/pvr/640x480/true/20180710221738927540000000-o.jpg
https://cdn.resize.sparkplatform.com/pvr/640x480/true/20180626232657500947000000-o.jpg
https://cdn.resize.sparkplatform.com/pvr/640x480/true/20171226183402357887000000-o.jpg

There are so many best cities in Mexico like Guadalajara, Mérida, Puerto Vallarta, Punta Mita etc. which is good for living. I am living in the Puerto Vallarta area. It is a very safest place that's why I had bought a house in this city

We're contemplating moving to Mexico. One criteria for us is climate. Currently we live on St. John in the USVI where it's around 83 degrees year round. We also want a access to fresh fruits and vegetables, which is lacking on our island. We were thinking about Riviera Maya area, staying away from the hustle and bustle of cities. Do you have any recommendations or insights that you would be willing to share?