Best cities to live in Mexico

Hi,

It's not always easy to decide in which area to settle in when moving to Mexico. According to you, what are the best cites to live in?

Which regions offer most of the job opportunities, a good quality of life, an affordable cost of living?

Share with us the cities you would recommend to expats and soon-to-be expats in Mexico.

Thank you in advance,

Julien

First consideration should be climate. There's a huge difference between the Central Highlands and the Coasts.

Employment options are so few for Expats I don't think it should even be considered unless you bring your work with you.  Catering to Gringo tourists is the most common.

You can live inexpensively anywhere if you don't rental shop online and have reasonable Spanish skills

Cities considerations ..... historically important, public transportation, close to International airport ..... and especially climate

The best answer to this question, is it depends. For me currently it is Campeche. I like the old historic structures, the people and the culture here. Many things are in easy walking distance, and many of the things I need are here. Its a fairly quiet city, small and charming and not an expat stronghold or tourist site
Many,  at first,  would not find having no expat community, or tourists to their liking, especially if they don't speak the language. being surrounded by people who are not like you, can be uncomfortable for a foreigner. I'm not saying that no one speaks English, some do , they teach it in school, but many don't . It also gets hot here even with ocean breezes.
Not as hot as a popular expat spot 2 hours away though. Merida is popular with many first time visitors. It is bigger and more complex and touristy. More natives speak English there. Further down the Yucatan you will enter Quintana Roo where even more tourists and expats can be found in Cancun, and Playa del Carmen. Both busy and modern. There are also popular touristy, more spoken English expat strongholds in San Miguel de allente (SMA) and Lake Chapala to the north of Campeche and more central. The informal rule of the more tourists and expats  the more expensive seems to apply to these places also.

In general you will find that the more modern, expat friendly and touristy a city is the more expensive it is. But more natives speak English, and you will find most of your favorite things at the Market.

If I were considering moving it would probably be to Chetumal  which is another quiet friendly town with ocean views down at the Belizean border.

So it depends on what is important to the person considering a move to Mexico.

Hi. There are a lot of opportunities for low pay but intellectually engaging employment all over Mexico even in the most remote areas. What is it. Teach English as a second language, no experience required. Language companies vary but Interlinqua is very good language school, Berlitz has mostly out of date materials and is an ineffective program. There is also Harmon Hall but I know nothing about them.

Another item you may want to consider in choosing a city to live in is whether you have friends or family already living there.

David

Playa del Carmen was a great spot to live with sophisticated wining and dining options, healthy, organic food stores, yoga, and a varied expat community consisting, I would say predominantly of, Israeli, Argentinian, Canadian, and Scandinavian. Of course, some of the most beautiful beaches of the world can also be found there and the weather is nice.

If I were to do it again I would live in San Cristobal de las Casas, an AMAZINGLY beautiful city on the border of the Guatemalan highlands with much of the same qualities listed above for Playa, just replace the beaches with the mountains :)

For a variety of reasons, it's San Miguel de Allende. See my website for the two books on written on expat life  here.

John Scherber

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Sharing of external commercial links not allowed.

I would recommend doing your research and finding four or five cities in Mexico that you think you might want to live in, and then coming down to visit to see which feels right for you. I agree with SparksMex about climate.

So, things to consider, not necessarily in order, would be:
1) Climate
2) Cultural Activities and Events
3) Crime Level
4) Expat Community (can be important for some)
5) Cost of Living
6) Vibe of the City (by that I mean, do you want a youthful vibe (e.g. a college town  or a gringo retirement enclave?) Not knocking either, you just need to decide which is right for you.
7) Traffic
8) Walkability - a more important factor as you age.
9) Medical Care

I taught English for a year in Oaxaca back in the 80s. It was just enough to live off of when I was in my mid-twenties and single. Personally, I would not want to try it with a wife and kids. Today, I telecommute from Mexico, so it's a better financial arrangement.

There are people who work seasonally in the US, and save enough to live in Mexico part-time. So for example, several months in the US or Canada working, and several months in Mexico not working.

Anyway, there are numerous great places to live in Mexico and numerous options.

Good luck!

I tell everyone about this site.   It's such a handy and wonderful resource.   Thank you all!
As a single woman nearing retirement I want the ocean waters to swim in.   So far, I have friends who have moved to Ajijic (Chapalla Lake) and San MIguel de Allende.  And though I know they are both wonderful, I still prefer the oceans.   So I will explore the Yucatan, Puerta Vallerta (again), and places like Playa del Carmen, Merida,   I do not have to be dead-center in the middle of a big city.   But I want the freedom and safety of staying out late at night or walking early on the beach.   Perhaps a smaller coastal community would work?    I will not have a car, my expenses will need to stay low, and I want access to cultural events.

simple answer...San Miguel de Allende. I have visited all the Ex-pat enclaves in Mexico. San Miguel has it all...a temperate climate, a thriving music and dance scene, a multitude of cultural events, hot springs, plenty of English speakers, a growing foodie scene, beautiful golf courses, fine medical care, great theatre, etc. etc. etc.

How do you feel about heat RUBY ?
The beach areas get pretty hot . Progresso is a beach area close to Merida and a fairly small town. I live in Campeche which has a long  Malecón next to the bay. There are also beaches if you know how to find them.

Of the three, Merida is the hottest, more mosquitos, and it is not on the coast, so there would be no early morning beach walks, They talk about beach but (they are referring to Progresos beach 20 k away) and Merida  is the largest.  Progreso  and Merida are in the yucatan state.

Progresso would give you a beach, Campeche in the state of Campeche would give you an old historic town and the bay. Further south you have Cancun, Playa, tulum all in a different state Quintana roo and a few more small towns as you head toward Belize.

Merida is the best city to retire in Mexico. Low cost of living, plentiful housing opportunities to either rent or buy. First class medical care. Zero crime. Warm semi-tropical weather. City of one million people less than an hour from the beach.

Maztlan,PV, Playa del Carmen. Forget San Miguel because it is too tourististy and over priced. Also forget  Lake Chapala (too cold, too boring, too far away from hospitals, movie theaters, Home Depo and Office Max.

In my opinion all the cities along the western shore are overpriced, too many expats and far too dangerous due to the cartels.  There ARE other places, you know.  Recently San Miguel had riots over wages, I think, and the crime is rampant. Criminals go where the money is!   Excuse me, but I would not be going to Mexico if all I had was a locked box inside a locked carton!  I can get then in the USA. 
I think all "internationals" should help to create an environment against crime wherever they go, work to better the local community and rat out crime holes....I know,.....dangerous.  Create Block Watches and follow suspicious characters back to their holes.  Make it unfriendly to the bad guys.  In Mexico the police are very active, I like that.but they need our help.

Lots of BS on this one

Careful what you get involved in.  Lot's of charitable groups are political in nature.  Politics is prohibited for foreigners.  Yes, help who you can as best you can, but this is the Mexican peoples' and they get to decide what's appropriate and not.

Miss Alicat,if you are seriously considering moving down here I suguest you get with some locals,Foriegn or Mexican to learn the lay of the land as it were as soon as you arrive.Anyone who starts following suspicious characters down here is going to dissapear.

We "retired" to Cuernavaca 12 years ago to a beautiful house in the northern part of the city. We became active in the wonderful expat community and I volunteered for four years in the largest dog and cat shelter in the state of Morelos. While there I bought property half an hour away in the Estado de Mexico in a small village called Ahuatenco. Eventually we had to go back to Atlanta when we neede to return to work, but we still have the house in the country. We return every chance we get and recently hosted an art tour beginning and ending in Mexico City with travel to Cuernavaca and Taxco. We loved living there and now love living back in Georgia, and happily now our kids are interested in the house in the country. It was a marvelous learning experience and still is.
In some ways life there is less expensive and in some cases the same. The beauty of living in the village is that there are no zoning rules and it is very cheap to live there. The problems are no gas station or grocery store - we have to drive 30-40 minutes to Cuernavaca - but we can do that once a week. The benefits are quiet, gorgeous mountain views, beautiful view of Popo in the early morning and cows, pigs, horses and chickens for neighbors. Our garden has fresh to pick oranges, tangerines, apples, limas and limes and when we can - an organic vegetable garden. Electricity used to be a problem but we now have regular service.
These experiences are not for the lazy and unenergetic or those who don't like surprises or don't have a sense of humor!!! I finally became a "residente permanente" and enjoy that freedom to come and go.

AlicatAZ wrote:

I think all ";internationals" should help to create an environment against crime wherever they go, work to better the local community and rat out crime holes....I know,.....dangerous.  Create Block Watches and follow suspicious characters back to their holes.  Make it unfriendly to the bad guys.  In Mexico the police are very active, I like that.but they need our help.

Don´t be so condescending. Mexicans can take of themselves.  Nobody needs "our" help. It is their responsibility, no one elses. Take care of yourself and your own property like everyone else does and you will fit in just fine. IMO

Not required:  Missionaries of any sort.  By all means, volunteer in non political areas.  But remember you are their guest and behave as such.

AlicatAz,
you just visited recently, and it seems there are things you still need to work on in the U.S. Like getting those locked boxes.
Your ideas about fixing Mexico and helping the police might be very dangerous for you.

Finding out about the country and it's people would be the best plan, learning the culture and the language would be the first step. Mexico may not be the country best suited for your needs. You might be better off continuing to visit and learn about many places.

I am planning for PDC. Did you live there very long? How much do you think a nice 2BR/2BA, 1000 square foot condo could be had for if we were to do a year lease? We would want furnished, in town, walking distance to all, complex with pool, maybe a gym. I was hoping for $900 could get us something pretty decent.

The problem with crime watch is that you don't always know who is honest and who is not. Even the police can be iffy. I think it's better to keep a low profile, don't let anyone in your door that you don't really know. Be polite but our ways are not always accepted or wanted by our hosts!

If you can stand the heat, Merida is the best place IMO.  A large, beautiful city with friendly people - enough people speak English to get by if you don't speak Spanish.  Very safe and walkable with buses to the beach- Progresso is $2 RT.  I disagree that it's touristy  - there are fewer tourists than you'd expect and daily flights aren't available year round. I haven't been there in 3 years but there was an evening flight from Houston.  There's always something to do and plenty of excellent restaurants.  The culture and food is Mayan. Medical care is good from what we could determine and your needs can be met.  Electricity costs are high but I believe that's true of Mexico in general.  We considered moving to Merida for early retirement but decided it would be too hot most of the year -- some expats go to Florida in the summer to cool off if that's any indication. We also looked seriously at some other areas but crime and cartels were a concern or becoming a concern in some popular places. We also didn't want to own a car.  Querataro looked pretty good overall and had much better weather - but is nowhere near the coast.  Good luck!

Goodness, so many great advices. I personally like Cancun despite all the issues that it may involve. I like it because of it's one hop airport to Dallas. Of course I've got a law office in Dallas which makes it essential for me to be able to catch the first flight out when necessary. It seems to me that one of the commentators very wisely stated that like everything else we'll have to decide what makes us feel content about being there, where ever "there" maybe. Therefore; a trip to different areas is really called for. Of course, you can decide you prefer The Mountain to the ocean or the lake to the dessert ahead of time to save yourself a trip or two. It's just a thought. Cheers everyone, you're great. Shay

Depends on one's personal druthers, of course.

FelipeZapata wrote:

Depends on one's personal druthers, of course.

My current home has one big drawback, it's too humid.
That's compensated for by being able to sleep in a t-shirt with just a top sheet for cover in February.
Depends on one's personal druthers, of course!

Mexican beach life sounds appealing. But know that you will be living in appalling heat much of the year -- and bugs. Canadians seem especially drawn to the beaches due, of course, to having lived in a deep freeze previously.

I have family in Tampico and Alaquines and feel safe and enjoy the difference between the 2. Always make good friends with good people. Impatient people are not suited and will be treated as spoiled. Never tell them how we do it in America as a solution to a Mexican issue.
And by all means DO NOT get involved with organizing against crime. Only in extreme cases should one involve oneself. Live as if u moved to a new place anywhere. . Due caution.  Good people will be very helpful friends and most are.  In some places it is the"criminals" that keep the peace.  The cartels frown on criminals victimizing Americans ..because it's not in their interest and draws an aggressive response from law inforcement ...  If u are not inclined to placing your self in risky situations it is a GREAT place. .

A caveat. .. don't showboat . A big fancy house that stands out.. fancy stuff where it is unattainable to locals is not cool. I dress and live like my neighbors. . I sweep the street in front of our place... i help neighbors with work. . Especially hard work.  Its a great way to become an essential part of the community. ... except when driving Mexicans do not like to rush or be rushed... on driving
Pedestrians do NOT have the right of way and stop signs are often ignored.

But, in the two cities I have lived, it doesn't take long for a driver or one driver in each lane to stop for pedestrians to cross even where there is no stop sign.  In the middle of the block, even.

In a larger city like Guadalajara or even Morelia and Saltillo, you may have to wait 2 or 3 minutes.

Alaquines is a small town so traffic isn't an issue...
Tampico is a GREAT city.. but there isn't much enforcement of traffic laws.. people will let pedestrians cross the street  .. but stepping out in a cross walk American style can get you in a hospital. ..  Juarez too.
I only visit a couple of months a year . I enjoy living in Cape Cod. .. that said they will run you over here in Hyannis too.. the thing that stops them in America is personal injury lawyers. :)

gudgrief wrote:

But, in the two cities I have lived, it doesn't take long for a driver or one driver in each lane to stop for pedestrians to cross even where there is no stop sign.  In the middle of the block, even.

In a larger city like Guadalajara or even Morelia and Saltillo, you may have to wait 2 or 3 minutes.

They will stop where it is mandated that they stop. There is usually a speed bump cross walk and signs to yield to pedestrians.
Stop signs in Mexico are more of an advisory thing. Unlike the U.S. they have streets that go a direction having the right away. Here its North - South, the stop signs are on the cross streets, and even the police see them as sort of advice more than a requirement.
The people going the right of way direction do not have to stop. They are particularily lax about those right of way streets. You cross at your own risk, and people stop because of that. I recently became aware that if you are crossing a double right of way street you are safe if you make it to the center. If like the U.S you have just moved out and stopped while crossing, but have not reached the magic center area , someone on the right away can exceed the speed limit and hit your car and still not be seen as liable for the accident. They had the right of way you see, so it's your fault.

As a pedestrian it's best to be very wary and look for speed bump crossings. In  Morelia it was rare to get across in less than 5 minutes, and it can get pretty exciting.

Not my experience at all.
They will stop in the middle of a block where there are no speed bumps or anything else to slow them down.

In Zamora, Xalapa and Coatepec there are a lot of 1X1 intersections and some 1x1 to 5x5 one lane bridges.  In all cases drivers respect them.

I'm not sure what you are responding to.
If it's Morelia, except for the historic section the basic streets are a tricky problem especially the main streets.  I have little experience in Zamora, Xalapa and Coatepec so I can't comment about them.

But I do know how it is on the southern end , and I have recent experience in Morelia where I have visited 3-4 times. I have seen the problems from both the pedestrian and driving end.

Be carefull when walking on The street,they will hit you.Somtimes Its unavoidable, when cars are parked on the sidewalk for example.I was walking on the street in Coatza as The sidewalk was not passable.A taxi hit me from behind with his mirror and ran over my left foot with his front wheel,he was only doing about 5mph at the time.He then got out and informed me it was my fault as I was walking on the street.

stinkyboy1 wrote:

Be carefull when walking on The street,they will hit you.Somtimes Its unavoidable, when cars are parked on the sidewalk for example.I was walking on the street in Coatza as The sidewalk was not passable.A taxi hit me from behind with his mirror and ran over my left foot with his front wheel,he was only doing about 5mph at the time.He then got out and informed me it was my fault as I was walking on the street.

Absolutely, you have to be on the lookout.
Watch out for cars trying to park parallel and those making turns into the lane your crossing the street in.
Sometimes it is safer and quicker to walk IN the street but you have to be aware of what's coming in all directions.

Sorry about that taxi incident.  I've come pretty close to getting sideswiped myself.

I usually have to go in the street when people park motos on the sidewalk. You really have to be alert because few are driving slow. With motos going any direction and using all of the road, plus perhaps sidewalk you have to be very alert driving or walking.

I believe that the streets are in better condition than the sidewalks. There is a big problem with parking anywhere in Mexico. For me, I have a primary school at one end of the street, a kindergarten on the other end, and a centro de salud in the front. Parking is sparse. I really can not use my vehicle in the morning and expect to return to any parking space. After 1pm, I can leave and return as the patrons of the centro de salud have gone. I love the summer months when the school and the kindergarten are closed and parking is everywhere.

Travellight - thanks for the info.    RubyTue