Best cities to live in Mauritius

Hi,

It's not always easy to decide in which area to settle in when moving to Mauritius. According to you, what are the best cites to live in?

Which regions offer most of the job opportunities, a good quality of life, an affordable cost of living?

Share with us the cities you would recommend to expats and soon-to-be expats in Mauritius.

Thank you in advance,

Julien

Honestly, I think the north (Grand-Baie, Pointe aux Cannoniers, Trou aux Biches) is the best place for expats and it's only 20 minutes drive to go to Port-Louis.

Stephane.

Another vote for Grand Baie and the northern areas.
I think it has everything - good infrastructure, great shopping, beaches, entertainment, restaurants etc and it's  not so hot as the central towns in summer.  :)
We also have a few good clinics including the new Darnier at La Croisette and some good dentists!

Grand Bei
Anahita area
Port Louis, close to the hills

Enjoy

Les

In order and just my opinion

Grand Bay
Calodyne
Moka
Black River

It would have to depend what you like to do.
Sea lovers   Grand bay
Sea and nature lovers the east and south of the island.
Mountain lovers  Creve Coeur and moka.

Grand Baie greater region best from Mont Choisy to Pereybere. Tamarin also a good area however Grand Baie has a bit extra. John

I think it all depends from which country expat is moving to Mauritius.Asian community prefer to live in Quatre-Bornes as this is in central part and all offices are near eg Ebene cyber city,Rose hill and port Louis is very near.
Cultural centre and Temples are very closed to Quatre Bornes.

Hi Julien and Ki Manier all together. Just depends what you want and what you need but me also i prefer the north region like Pointe aux Cannoniers or Grand Bay and the region of Black River like Tamarin because of infrastructure, shopping facilities and also a little bit of night life.

Et voila ca cest mon avis.

Salutations et A+
Oliver

The North and West has a lot more to offer than the South, for example.

In all the places we visit and do business, I would recommend Grand Baie, Quatre Bornes and Black River and their surrounding areas.

But, as some already mentioned, it all depends on what you desire. Albion is a "hidden" town but a lot of people seem to be happy there and it does seem if the town is growing at the moment.

I am, unfortunately, not familiar with the East of the Island, so I can't make any comments about quality of living in that region.

Elzaan

It depend where is your job and how long your stay are?

The central part of the island is the best place to live and work for hundreds of reason.just like a mild climate, access to all parts of the country easily, most shopping places and business, offices lies here and
so on.
from the centre of the island , you can go to any parts of the island in just 40 mins by car.

Tamarin will be our place.  As half-Mauritian and expat from Europe it will be easier to adapt. I have family in the centre of the island (Vacoas, Quatre-bornes and Floreal) and and I like the busy moments there but I just can't live with the idea of moving from rainy Belgium to a location where I get the same amount of rain :-)

We have thought about the North as well but traveling through Port-Louis to visit the family just didn't seem right and I'm still not convinced about that link road with all its problems.

Link road is good

Link road is good when its open. Heavy rain etc and its closed. But yes it does save a lot of time on trips to the centre, west and south. :)

Apologies, I see this post is from 2016, but I am very curious today. It seems traffic takes about.more than double that into Port Louis these days from Grand Baie?

Traffic notoriously bad at rush hours but now tram system will help ease congestion, not sure if will cover north but know it will be running Curepipe to Port Louis when eventually finished.
I live in Curepipe, cooler climate but rains a bit and too far from beach for me coming from beach town in Ireland. Came to Mauritius & not same being far from beach. I love the north, fave place is Cap Malheureux & surrounding areas. The south is beautiful too, especially Le Morne, if into nature, mountain climbing, rock climbing and has fab beach especially for kite surfing.
The island is small enough that the beach is never more than 45 mins drive or so but you need car here, bus system is very bad.

Recently, I have noticed a lot of pictures on the news websites showing waterlogging and flooding during torrential rains. Although I feel bad for the people who are already living in areas prone to flooding, yet I think that getting caught in such a situation is avoidable for someone settling in anew by choosing the right place to live.
What are your thoughts on areas that lie comparatively higher / have a good drainage system and are not prone to waterlogging and flooding?

Perhaps a list would be helpful for people considering to move.

HI,

-moderated-

rgds.

Mrs Mahamoodally

Moderated by Julien 5 years ago
Reason : advertising is not allowed on the forum, please register your services in our directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Is there an area in Mauritius with many American expats?

sonyavedwards wrote:

Is there an area in Mauritius with many American expats?

Not really.

Very few US expats in Mauritius and they are kind of scattered across several regions.

But they usually gather at the US Ambassador's residence located in a town called Floreal in the center for special events.

Thank you for responding.

Any suggestions for a mom with a 10 year old?  We don't desire to live near the water and hope to be near schools.

sonyavedwards wrote:

Thank you for responding.

Any suggestions for a mom with a 10 year old?  We don't desire to live near the water and hope to be near schools.

To better answer your question, more details on your relocation project will be needed.

Are you coming to Mauritius for work? If yes, where will be your workplace?
Will you buy/rent a car or you will depend on public transport?
Traffic jam is a huge problem in Mauritius and therefore most people choose to live near their place of work.

Regarding schools, most expats opt for private English or French (or both) schools. If you will also choose private schools, there are a bunch of them around the island but most are located in urban regions or near places with high concentration of expats.

Tell us more about your moving process and we will try to help.

I will be working and leasing/buying a vehicle.

I have not yet finalized employment but it will most likely be in the center of the island (Moka, Ebene, Plaine Wilhems...)

Not sure if that's quite the center but somewhere in those areas.

I want to avoid traffic as much as possible and will most likely opt for a private school.

I think we'll also have to be quarantined for a bit once we arrive. (Not arriving until the first week of October)

Thank you again!

If you will be working in the center, then it's better to live nearby, in the adjacent towns. Traffic into main areas tend to get worse in the morning and in the afternoon.

Borders are not yet open here in Mauritius and will likely remain closed for months to come.
A possible partial opening will most probably be decided on a country basis. Owing to the severity of the Covid-19 crisis in the US and the spiraling rate of infection, there are possibilities that borders will remain close to US citizens.
I would recommend checking travel advisories with your foreign office and airline prior to any booking decisions.

Thanks again Winston.

Yes, I am keeping a close eye on the restrictions and dates.

It's really beyond horrible here in the states.  I think most borders are closed to us, at the moment.

I know Mauritius isn't even opening until September 1, 2020 and that doesn't mean the US will be on the invite list BUT as soon as it is, we'll be over there.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

Best,

Sonya

So, I'll be working in PL, coming alone (as soon as border opens).  Kind of narrowed accom location to:
Moka - I love mountains and hiking
Albion - A number of people have recommended it
Grand Baie and the N - not too sure if it's now too busy and traffic getting to PL?

Not a party animal and happy to be on my own but don't want to be isolated.
Open to comments on the 3 locations and general ideas of anywhere else.
Thanks!!