Best cities to live in Kuwait

Hi,

It's not always easy to decide in which area to settle in when moving to Kuwait. According to you, what are the best cites to live in?

Which regions offer most of the job opportunities, a good quality of life, an affordable cost of living?

Share with us the cities you would recommend to expats and soon-to-be expats in Kuwait.

Thank you in advance,

Julien

Entire Kuwait itself is like a small city hehehehe.

About the regions, we can say that salmiya, Kuwait city, Hawally, Mahboula are good. Specially in Kuwait city & salmiya the job scope are also more.

Thx

Not sure what would be so good about Mahboula except for the rent prices, which comes with its own set of problems of course. :)

Salwa is great! Mishref too. It's near the costal area. But pricey apartments! But now with the drop in oil prices it should not be going too high. Lets say $700.

For me, Salmiya close to "Balajat Street" is best because of the high walkability factor to places you'd go to regularly: decent food stores, gyms, cafes and the number 999 bus is you opt not to have a car...

Anywhere near your work to avoid traffic. I may be slightly cynical ;)

Not cynical at all as Traffic is worst part of Kuwait

Well, I would recommend you live anywhere close to your job Center because of the growing number of motorist on the road #traffic 🚥,  but if you are not worried about this then I will recommend farwaniya or mahboula  cheap rents,decent rooms and shops all around.

I liked salmiya

kuaitby itself is a city not so big , but best part to live is near sea coast line which is expensive to rent

Fortunately I live in saba al salem by the sea  :D

What is the Messilah area like?

When I lived in Kuwait city, I really lioved living at iSarah complex in Mahboula. Lots of Americans and closer to the coastal area and Fayahill. Nice restaurants and good food

Mangaf

Kuwait is sadly inundated with traffic issues. So choosing a place to live really depends on how far, or long, you're willing to commute and sit in traffic.

Places such as Salmiya, Salwa, Bnaid al Gar, Sharq, and Shaab are all convenient to the Kuwait City side of the Gulf (Gulf Rd) while Mangaf, Mahboula, Egaila, and Fahaheel are on the other side of the Gulf (Coastal Road). Many contractors who work on Camp Arifjan live on the Coastal Road side for convenience as it's closer to their jobs.

I would not recommend Hawalli as it's nothing but unlimited congestion. It can literally take 30 minutes to drive 3 miles during the busiest hours in Hawalli.

For those Americans who are working on the northern camps (Virginia, Beurhing, etc) the north part of Kuwait is my favorite -- though I am probably alone in this opinion. Sa'ad al Abdulla and Old Jahra have a charm about them as well as far less traffic yet all the same conveniences of the city. However, those areas are primarily locals and you might find yourself being the only American living there.

Hi,

Not sure you can rent in Messilah itself. However, on the opposite side of the road is Salwa (Blocks 12, 11  and 10), which is pretty decent.

However, rents are generally higher than Salmiya and other expat areas. Depending on the apartment block, parking might be an issue.

Cheers

There also real dangers living there that no one seemed to touch on. Filipino girls are regularly abducted from bus stops, leaving, and coming to work, or just leasurly shopping. .Anywhere the Kuwaiti boys have the opprtunity.  Don't teust the Police!  Jahra area is dangerous...PERIOD!  That whole area, full of bedoin people. Reggie area has been mostly taken over by Irani people.

Stay in or near Fahaheel,Mangaf, Mahboula in the southern part. Most coastal cities are okay. Messila is good central area, and agreeing with everyone else, Salmiya (new, not old Salmiya) is so Westernized you forget you're in a foreign country after awhile. I lived there 9 years, so my best advice is enjoy, but be aware of your surroundings.  Visit the UTC ccourtyard for cheap items. Shwarma there are really good too.  If you're a woman, never, nwver, never travel alone. Sex is a common denominator among the men there...SERIOUSLY!

Mahboula  (esp Block 1) is a dump! Ugly,  dirty,  rat - infested.  Block 2 is slightly better,  esp with so much activity going on, on the Gulf Rd lately  (SIDRA eatery,  next to Mahboula seaside ). Mishref,  Mangaf, and Fahaheel have their charm.  But, from what I've seen, Ahmadi -- west  & north of Fahaheel  -- looks peaceful and beautifully maintained,  with visibly better infrastructure. ...

Not agreed to this post , no one abduct or rape or racism , this place is safe for all girls , there are gossip mongers who spread the fake rape new n abduction news often , just feel welcome to be part of Kuwait and enjoy the spirit of Kuwait

Farwaniya is Gud for me cuz nearly to my work

I'm not sure what rock you've crwed out from under, but Kuwaiti's do it all the time. You're trying to cover up one of the biggest problems in Kuwait. I stand by my information.  Read the crime section of the Kuwait Times or The Arab Times.  You can read them online. DO IT! You will see what I am saying is true. It's online...go look butt kisser!

You mention philipina , there are many nationalities here so y u can't news crime Wz other woman's , do u have answer , why only philipinas face this let's face off the truth today

Hello everyone,

Can we now get back to the topic which is "Best cities to live in Kuwait"?

Thank you very much for your participation.
Christine
Expat.com

I've heard I should not work or live in Jeleeb al shuyoukh because of crime and being a woman. Is this what other people think as well. Would like more opinions as online it doesn't give much info apart from some run down areas!!

A lit of people from Bangladesh live there. I have also heard for years it is a dangerous place, not jist for women. Some years ago they were protesting not getting paid and one or two police officers were killed.

Thanks but I think everything is showing it to be a no go. I'm turning down the offer!

Salmiya.

Hi,
Are there any affordable transportation to camp Arifjan from cities for everyday work? ( Home - Camp - Home). I do not prefer to self drive. What is the nearest and safe place for a single female to rent an apartment close to camp Arifjan? Thank you.