Best cities to live in India

Hi,

It's not always easy to decide in which area to settle in when moving to India. According to you, what are the best cites to live in?

Which regions offer most of the job opportunities, a good quality of life, an affordable cost of living?

Share with us the cities you would recommend to expats and soon-to-be expats in India.

Thank you in advance,

Julien

I live in Pune in Maharastra. It isn't the cleanest of cities and in winter, frankly the pollution sucks! But in Indian terms it is small city. There are lots of really interesting areas to wander around although none that I would describe as tourism areas but rather for those with more of an anthropological interest!

There is a wide selection of western shops and restaurants which does give you a break from India - which everyone will agree you do at times need! The best food however is to be found in the local pure veg restaurants which are every where.

I've not lived anywhere else in India but with the exception of a lack of tourist sites, I prefer Pune to the mega Indian cities and indeed to the small towns that while temporarily are interesting, once you've walked around a little it is done.

Cost of living as an expat with the exception of electricity is very cheap, certainly cheaper than Mumbai our state capital. There is local airport that flies all over India although it's military so sometimes flight times are a bit odd! Three flights to Goa a day but all leaving within 30 minutes of each other and at midday so you can't do a weekend in Goa withou taking a day off!

The expat population is also very active and very warm and welcoming. 

So yes I like Pune but I'm firmly of the opinion you can like anywhere, you just have to decide to like it first!

Definitely Chandigarh,it's clean,organised ,has an international airport,is safe and very close to the mountains for a getaway.

Hi Julien,

I would suggest Cochin (or Kochi), good climate, never up to 36 degree in all the season (Monsoon is just refreshed by some rains, not so heavy like in Chennai), kind people, cheap cost of living. Fort Cochin is the touristic place, rents may be higher than the surrounding areas, I am leaving in some nearest village and it is not so bad. Good infrastructures, 100% of education rates, growing faster.

Bangalore is also a good option, cosmopolitan but more expensive cost of living.

I really enjoyed living in Hyderabad. I have only lived in Hyderabad and Mumbai, therefore I am not able to compare many Indian Cities, but I found Mumbai very stressful due to the humidity and the enormous amount of time it took to go anywhere.

Hyderabad on the other hand, I found much more manageable. Yes, it gets incredibly hot in the summer, but it's a dry heat and it does cool down considerably in the winter. Rent is affordable and there is a wealth of restaurants and bars in the areas where most expats live (Banjara Hills, Jubilee Hills, Madhapur, Hi Tec City etc.)
Eating out in Western Style Restaurants can be a bit pricey, but there are so many good small eateries all around.
The local crowd is really lovely as well and it is easy to meet really interesting people in the workplace and through Meetup and to have an active social life.