Best cities to live in Ecuador

Some mixed views on cost of living and where is best, for me it is Portoviejo  in Manabi close to the beaches and has everything i want/need been here nearly 6 years with a brief stint in Quito,all depends what you are after

In fairness i feel hot everywhere in Manabi, as i am from a cooler climate, but i feel the likes of manta and surrounding areas are hotter,i live on a hill so get a nice breeze, living in the centre of town will be hot, i find most expats go for beach life, only to find it is too hot there, and after the way the weather has been lately, crucita san clemente etc is not really an ideal investment if you are buying close to the beach. many head off to Cuenca completely different all together, but Portoviejo is on the rise exciting when the airport gets turned into this complex mini Dubai they say, housing wise there are some really nice gated communities being built, the latest is by Fop from Guayaquil, who built the Solca hospital, heat wise we have air con and swimming pool that keeps you cool, Portoviejo is well worth a visit

I loving the mountains and water. Where is a good place to start my visit?  I will allow 1 month visit for research.

Try Cotacachi.....a warm welcoming city with just the right about of expats and gatherings to make you feel at home......

Thank you. I have heard a few good things about that place. I think, however, that I have found the One place I like the best. Ambato is the right size, I live on a plateau overlooking the city - among the Native people, trying to learn more Spanish.  There is a good-size Mall and a vibrant Centro City. It is fairly clean and I am renting a small retirement home. I cannot understand for the life of me, why there are not a whole lot more Ex-pats living in this city. Just an hour and a half drive away from Quito, yet the weather here is a lot better. It seems to always be Springtime. I love the Parks, the Markets and the View. Even at my slightly advanced age, I still want to teach English part-time and I am looking for a High-School, that would let me come in 2 days a week. If you know of anybody, who is an Ex-pat, and lives in Ambato, please let me know. Take care and be well, Amber

AmberFenton wrote:

I cannot understand for the life of me, why there are not a whole lot more Ex-pats living in this city (Ambato).  Just an hour and a half drive away from Quito....Amber

Top 10 Reasons Why Expats Live in Quito and Not Ambato

10.  Quito is an international capital with thousands of Expats.

9.  InterNations holds frequent gatherings, outings and events at which Expats are welcome.

8.  Unlike Ambato, Quito is not an hour and a half from Quito.  It is Quito.

7.  Restaurants feature cuisines such as Indian, Argentine, Italian, Peruvian, Mongolian and others.

6.  From the international airport there are non-stop flights to other world-class cities such as Buenos Aires, Miami and Madrid, Spain.

5.  Top flight shopping at large malls -- Naciones Unidas, El Jardin, El Recreo, El Bosque and many others.

4.  Half a dozen massage venues at peluquerías within two blocks of Amazonas y Wilson -- $20 for an hour.

3.  UNESCO World Heritage designation for South America's best-preserved Centro Histórico.

2.  Can get a day pass at Hotel Quito's Olympic-size, climate-controlled outdoor swimming pool, large jacuzzi and spa area.

And the #1 reason why Expats live in Quito and they don't move to Ambato....

1.  They've read Amber's earlier posts about the insane, constantly-barking dogs and the Ambato ‘city fathers' lack of interest in doing anything about the problem.

cccmedia, Quito resident since 2013

AmberFenton wrote:

Thank you. I have heard a few good things about that place. I think, however, that I have found the One place I like the best. Ambato is the right size, I live on a plateau overlooking the city - among the Native people, trying to learn more Spanish.  There is a good-size Mall and a vibrant Centro City. It is fairly clean and I am renting a small retirement home. I cannot understand for the life of me, why there are not a whole lot more Ex-pats living in this city. Just an hour and a half drive away from Quito, yet the weather here is a lot better. It seems to always be Springtime. I love the Parks, the Markets and the View. Even at my slightly advanced age, I still want to teach English part-time and I am looking for a High-School, that would let me come in 2 days a week. If you know of anybody, who is an Ex-pat, and lives in Ambato, please let me know. Take care and be well, Amber

Why don't you share more about Ambato, because as cccmedia (& mugtech on that thread) pointed out, you painted a pretty ugly picture of Ambato. Judging by that post I was under the impression you were unhappy there and with no remedy but to move from your residence. So what does Ambato has to offer?

As for Quito it offers something for everyone. Parks? Quito abounds with big beautiful parks – Metropolitiano, La Carolina, Ejido, Bicententario, etc. Markets? I don't know where to start, perhaps my neighborhood market Inaquito, or Mercado La Ofelia in north Quito, where you can buy 12 live crabs for $12-$14, and mind you in a capital city that doesn't have a coast. If you want custom made leather boots, jacket, fresh Ecuadorian coffee, chocolate, etc it's all here. There is nothing that Ecuador has to offer that isn't available in Quito. Music? The National Symphony Orchestra is in Quito with renowned musicians and artists that perform there.

People? Personally I like the people of Quito, they are reserved but they do open up when you begin to make an effort to talk in Spanish, and remain consistent. It's actually common sense, and this is probably true for all of Ecuador, they're not going to learn English. It's all on you, whether you're talking to the “natives” of Ambato or city folk in Quito.

I could go on and on about how great Quito is, the nightlife, the shopping, dining, but my point is - it offers something for everyone, whether you're alone, or with a partner, or family, this city if you make an effort to interact with people will not disappoint you. Lose your ego, your pretentiousness if you have those superficial qualities, learn the language and just delve yourself in Quito.

I am sure Quito is best for most Ex-pats. Ambato's weather seems warmer, which I like. I am not into mega-million people cities any more, and at my age [71], I do not need any kind of night-life. I have made a few new friends among local teachers. My Spanish seems to be improving and I like the size of Ambato just fine. Nothing takes more than 20 to 30 minutes to get to,  It would not matter, where I move to in Ecuador, barking dogs are everywhere, especially the ones on the roofs of bldgs. Plus with my Canadian dollar being worth much less than the US dollar, moving around to avoid noise, is not affordable for me. I will just have to get used to it. I find Ambato fascinating, especially on Market Day, when the city is crowded and colourful, with the mountain folks coming into town in their traditional garb. Centro City is old, with many narrow streets, thousands of shops, street vendors and some decent restaurants. Most things seem to be affordable. I can find almost everything I need, except English paperback novels. Unfortunately, in the Mall des Andes, there is NO bookstore, and I miss that.  I still enjoy holding a book in my hands and turning the pages. Old habits die hard. LOL  For the most part, people are very friendly and I always try my odd-sounding Spanish on them first. At least I am making a real effort. In the home, with my native friend, we speak "Spanglish" and it works well for us.  It does take time to adjust, especially at my age, but I think, I am doing o.k. I have even heard my local Ecuadorian friends complain about noise, pollution and all the dogs. A good friend of mine [American, who lives in Quito] was mauled by a Pit bull.. It is not a unique problem just here in Ecuador. I had Shepherd dogs attack me in Canada, and I do not blame the dogs for their behaviour, It has to do with their owners.   Anyways, I am trying my best to fit in, as much as that is possible, with white hair, white skin and green eyes.  I am sorry, if it sounded like I was complaining all the time. I really just conveyed what was happening and what all I need to adjust to. I am staying in Ambato as long as possible, that is for sure. Tropical Guayaquil is too large, too hot and not for me anymore. Kind regards, Amber

Try cotacachi small but welcoming clean safe nice people  try the yellow house b&b  lot's to see in the mountains .

AmberFenton wrote:

I am sure Quito is best for most Ex-pats. Ambato's weather seems warmer, which I like. I am not into mega-million people cities any more, and at my age [71], I do not need any kind of night-life. I have made a few new friends among local teachers. My Spanish seems to be improving and I like the size of Ambato just fine. Nothing takes more than 20 to 30 minutes to get to,  It would not matter, where I move to in Ecuador, barking dogs are everywhere, especially the ones on the roofs of bldgs. Plus with my Canadian dollar being worth much less than the US dollar, moving around to avoid noise, is not affordable for me. I will just have to get used to it. I find Ambato fascinating, especially on Market Day, when the city is crowded and colourful, with the mountain folks coming into town in their traditional garb. Centro City is old, with many narrow streets, thousands of shops, street vendors and some decent restaurants. Most things seem to be affordable. I can find almost everything I need, except English paperback novels. Unfortunately, in the Mall des Andes, there is NO bookstore, and I miss that.  I still enjoy holding a book in my hands and turning the pages. Old habits die hard. LOL  For the most part, people are very friendly and I always try my odd-sounding Spanish on them first. At least I am making a real effort. In the home, with my native friend, we speak "Spanglish" and it works well for us.  It does take time to adjust, especially at my age, but I think, I am doing o.k. I have even heard my local Ecuadorian friends complain about noise, pollution and all the dogs. A good friend of mine [American, who lives in Quito] was mauled by a Pit bull.. It is not a unique problem just here in Ecuador. I had Shepherd dogs attack me in Canada, and I do not blame the dogs for their behaviour, It has to do with their owners.   Anyways, I am trying my best to fit in, as much as that is possible, with white hair, white skin and green eyes.  I am sorry, if it sounded like I was complaining all the time. I really just conveyed what was happening and what all I need to adjust to. I am staying in Ambato as long as possible, that is for sure. Tropical Guayaquil is too large, too hot and not for me anymore. Kind regards, Amber

I appreciate the info Amber. So Ambato is for very laid-back living. That's nice and it makes me love Ecuador even more as it offers cities/towns/villages to live in for various life styles. I've actually wondered how expats spend their time in places like Ambato, Vilcabamba, etc. Admittedly, I fantasized about living in the hills, owning a few goats, maybe a cow,  :lol:   , but who am I kidding, I've always been a city boy and probably will always be one. 

It's great you made friends among teachers as they are imho true nobility, irrespective of income. Was it easy or difficult for you to make such friendships?  In Quito you have to be very outgoing and courageous with your Spanish to make friends outside your building. It's a challenge, but frustrating when you want to communicate with people, and they want to communicate with you, but it's limited in conversation.

Hola, vsimple:  off and on, I was teaching English part-time at private schools, sometimes volunteering, and then I found a little elementary school in walking distance, and it said the name of the school: Aleman. Since I was born in Berlin, and lived in Germany the first 21 years of my life, I still speak, read and write the language perfectly well. I applied for a part-time position as German teacher, and was able to go in twice a week for three mos., until they suddenly did not have enough money to pay 5 teachers. One had become a friend of mine, because she speaks English. Through her, I have met quite a few more people, and I also met 2 Canadians, who own their own baked-goods delivery company. I am a little embarrassed, that my Spanish is still so bad, I just have such a hard time remembering a lot of new phrases and words from one week to the next. Then I met the neighbour lady with her 6 dogs, and she lived in Australia for 20 years. Her English is worse than my Spanish, and our conversation was hilarious. I think, that if I had come here 10 years ago, I would have been able to grasp Spanish a little faster.  Now, I just make do with the daily chit-chat I can handle, and watch Telenovelas, LOL. I understand a lot more, that I can say - which was the same with learning English and French, when I was in my late teens. I lived in England for a year at 18 and found it easy to learn the language. French was a lot more difficult, but I managed well, too -  then. You are right about living the laid-back life. I love it. Needs are less, wants are even lesser than that, and I read and write a lot more than ever. So far, so good.  Take care, kind regards, Amber