ID Card/Freedom of Movement?

Okay so I am Canadian, my husband has dual-citizenship here in Malta. What I'm wondering is if there is anyone that might be able to offer some advice to me.

My husband and I were married here in Malta in July (2010). I need to get a Maltese ID card. However, looking at some information, it says I need to have a freedom of movement sticker in my passport first in order to get the ID card. Trying to figure out which forms you need to fill out here in Malta is a nightmare in a sense and I can never seem to get a straight answer or a correct answer. So frustrating.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation where they are not Maltese yet their husband (or wife) is and they've had to go through the motions of paperwork? Looking for suggestions, advice etc.  From what I understand, I need to apply for freedom of movement BEFORE I can get my Malta ID card etc.

Thanks in advance!

I am in the same Position and was going to start looking for answers on Monday.  I am American Married in Malta to a Polish woman.  :)   I have never heard of the "freedom of movement sticker" untill now...   Here is what I found..

In the case of persons who are third
country nationals they would be required to
apply for a residence permit which is in the
format of a sticker and is affixed in their
passport.

ref:  http://quality-mitts.gov.mt/hosta/mfapo … A6-IMM.pdf

so it just looks like it's the standard residence permit.

more info   http://www.msp.gov.mt/documents/dss/tre … zzi_09.pdf

Residence Permits
􀂃
Residence permits are issued to TCNs who have been authorized to reside in Malta:
􀂃
for a specific purpose and
􀂃
only when such persons are in Malta.
􀂃
Malta's (uniform) residence permit is issued in the format of a sticker in accordance with Council Regulation (EC) 1030/2002 with the text in Maltese, and is affixed on the holder's passport.

Yes I think because you and your wife are not Maltese it is slightly different actually.A residence permit is what you will be looking for I think.  Because I am married to a Maltese there is a different way to go about it slightly but I've been told different things so I'm unclear really. Sometimes calling the department in which you need to speak to doesn't help which is frustrating.  It might be easier to try and get time off work and just go down there in person to talk to someone?

If anyone has more info let me know...there's others who are in need of similar info too that I'm sure will also be grateful :)

Hi all,

We went through the same procedure. I'm an EU citizen , my partner Ilene ( we are not married) is American.

So the procedure is:

Apply for the ordinary residence permit at Castille. There are plenty of forms and conditions.
( EU citizens can just go for the ID card and declare that they are residents although legally , after 3 months an EU citizen has to apply for residency too) I had to too , as the permit for my partner depends on my official residency. Her status is now ' family member of an EU citizen - same as our Persian cat -)))

After a few weeks or months when the residency is granted for you ( non-EU) they ( Castille) give you a sticker in your US passport.

Now you can go along to the ID card office and hope that no more questions will be asked when you apply for the ID card.In our case of course they did as the office clerks there had never seen a non-EU woman being a 'family member' of an EU citizen. Being married ( especially in Malta) should make it easier.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask me -))

Always be friendly and patient with them - that helps !

Ricky

Awesome, thanks for the info Ricky!  Very helpful :D

How long did it take for your partner to get her residency?

Long !

We were probably one of the few cases that managed to get accepted . You have to prove a 2 year sustainable and reliable relationship. They wanted us to show 2 years of living together in Malta which we couldn't -)) But in the end they had to accept our relationship as we had Maltese friends who backed us .

After that it all went quite fast.

If you are married it should go faster. You should definitly go there in person with as many documents you have with your Malterse partner and get things going. You are always get different advice but it is all usually not correct or only partly correct and the level of correctness can change too -))))

Ricky

Looks like a rather delicate situation which you can't afford to get wrong. I would seek expert advice rather than experiment.

Yes with the way things work here I don't want to take a chance and get it wrong so i'll be heading down to Valletta this week to hopefully get things sorted out and on their way!

It won't help you at this moment, but once you have been married 5 years you can get citizenship.  Makes everything much easier.

Yeah I knew that actually... and it also doesn't matter where you live either. As long as you have been married  for 5 years you can apply. I just got married this summer here :(
But thanks for the reply! :D

Well its all sorted out now. I applied for my freedom of movement and residency permit this morning...with I must say relative ease. I still am sort of shocked at that to be honest! Quick and painless for the most part. A little hiccup but nothing to delay anything really. I also was able to get my id card today too. I must say though that it does help to know certain people to get things moving haha. Because my Canadian passport is almost destroyed (my dog chewed it a couple  weeks ago) except for the important pages, we were told it wound not be an issue regardless of the damage. But then we got there and it was. We did some talking etc... next thing you know its all okay and everything is done in minutes! Anyhow thanks to everyone for their help. Now the waiting game to see how long it will take to actually be all said and done etc

I've found it's definitely better to go to the departments in person. I have had countless wrong information provided to me over the phone, now I like to write down information I am told and get the names of people I speak to so they can be held accountable for the information they provide.

Amandamllb wrote:

I've found it's definitely better to go to the departments in person. I have had countless wrong information provided to me over the phone, now I like to write down information I am told and get the names of people I speak to so they can be held accountable for the information they provide.

You have replied to a post from 2010!

Thanks but that's fine, I am looking for answes regarding this topic and it popped up in my search engine yesterday so if my response helps people who are reading it in 2017 (like I did) then I'm happy

Amandamllb wrote:

Good luck with 'holding people to account for information they provide'

Just keep in mind that this is Malta and nobody from the PM down is accountable for anything!

Ray
:whistle:

and I thought I was a pessimistic cynic... ;)