Working as a Waiter or possibly supervisor

Hello Everyone !!

I am Michael and I am new here.

I am looking for some information regarding working in catering.

I am going to move to Malta 21st of March and going to get apartment in Gozo.

I have 8 years experience in catering including management.

I was just wondering, as I can not find any information, what is the salary, wage, hourly pay for waiters ??

I am taking an apartment which will cost 530 euro a month including bills and it will be shared between 2 of us.

I just have no idea if waiting job will give me enough money to survive :P

I was trying to find any information about wages with no luck so hopefully someone here will have an idea and share it.

Thanks !!

between 3-5 an hour

I am assuming I cant rely on any tips etc ?

And thanks for straightforward answer :P

you may get tips ..but i don't know how they work in all places but the ones that i have had experience off they were pooled and you got them usually on a Sunday and they were shared by all staff including kitchen ones etc

Tips depend on the standard of the restaurant /place. In a standard bar/restaurant/kiosk you often pay at the counter and Maltese are not worldchampions in tipping.

Waiter supervisor ? In Malta in most places that would be the position of restaurant manager. Even in hotels and top restaurants. But that is a different job.

Cheers
Ricky

Yeah what I meant was restaurant assistant manager, head waiter etc as I am experienced in that field.

I am sure it works slightly different on Malta than in UK as a lot of retaurants are family run businesses on Malta.

I guess me and my girlfriend will have to look for slightly cheaper apartment in Gozo, I saw quite a few cheap and with fantastic views in Marsalforn and we will rent a small place of someone there for a week to go around apartments. Airbnb has cheap offers for a night stay so at least we can have somewhere to sleep and leave all our luggage.

Can't wait to be there !!

Gozo is cheap but you won't find the jobs there !

That is why it is cheap -)))) The whole of Gozo compares to a smaller town in the UK !

All the best in your plans.

Cheers
Ricky

I was wondering why its cheap... :P

I saw plenty of restaurants around and quite few jobs adverts on ETC website.

I guess all the jobs are permanently taken there then.

Shame, will have to consider living in Sliema, Valetta, Msida, Marsaskala.

Thing is I dont mind travelling to work as i have car and motorbike licence but my girlfriend doesnt have any and she doesnt want to be dependable on buses and I've heard buses on Malta are not the best to depend on.

It just gets more complicated every day but hey, its an adventure :)