Tet gift ideas for gf's family

Question for the locals here.  Have only just started dating this girl for about 2 months.  Any ideas for tet gifts to give to her family.  I have not met them and don't intend to yet.  Will just give it to her to give to them.  I'm thinking one of those gift baskets that are sold everywhere.  What's an approriate price range to spend on one.  Any other gift ideas?  Thanks in advance

I 've just got that gift cataloge ( called Hamper 2016 ) from Cash & Carry Metro price from VN$560,000 - VN$1,800,000. You should go there anh choose one or give me email i foward the cataloge to you.

Pieces of paper with engravings of Benjamin Franklin seem to be particularly prized.  I don;t know how images of Sir Robert Borden would be received.

Usually money. Cash is King else advise is something that cannot be found in Vietnam like medicated oil from overseas (Made in Singapore) or something like that.

Expensive tea? That is usually a welcomed item or a bottle of Chivas.

Is that necessary?
May be 'yes', otherwise your gf may not be happy after Tet.
It depends your wallet and your gf. Most of them want their bf spend as much as possible on these occasions.
If she or her family invited you, then give something better and memorable which will put a feather in your crown in the future if you marry her. Otherwise some tet gift (fruits, biscuits, wine etc.) will suffice.
Never give "Benjamin Franklin" to your gf unless you meet her family.
@ THIGV Robert Borden is not popular among them  :)  Even they don't like Abraham Lincoln. But Thomas Jefferson is popular on Tet - for kids!

Flowers are a Tet thing. Suggest keeping it cheap yet thoughtful, go with your gf to one of the flower markets to get a plant together, from both of you.
Cash? No way! Too little and you are judged a cheapskate. Too much and you are judged foolish or rich. Money is too tricky especially for a westerner.

gobot wrote:

Money is too tricky especially for a westerner.

I think you may be right.  Money is better after the wedding.  I am rather lucky as I have to complain to my wife that she is way too cheap with her mother and insist that she give a little more.  My mother-in-law speaks no English but she knows what's going on.

I've never seen a culture so obsessed with money and the price of things!

Present them with the finest things that Canada has to offer:  A bag that contains British Columbian flowers, a suitcase filled with Timbits and a USB that's been topped off with Rush, the Tragically Hip and Hansen brother GIFs.

http://www.ballecourbe.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Stamkos-et-les-frères-Hanson-2.gif

So, you're living in Canada and you've known this girl for two months. You say you haven't met the parents but have you even met the girl?

Because I usually side with the national, no matter what their intentions, I say send money, money, and more money.

some nice flowers, if you want to test the legitimacy of your new girl friend, tell her you don't have a lot of money but you will work hard to make her happy :)

I would wait till next Tet, see if its still happening for you. Its only been two months and you wont be meeting them, so I wouldnt bother.

Give $$$$ they will have a big smile

In US $ 200 that be ok . Gifts they got plenty , cash is king or cash And gifts

spot on

You haven't met them.  So don't be seen as either someone who is clueless, or has too much money - either will hurt you later.  Do your best AFTER you have met your gf in person and have met her parents.  Your motives sound good but it is what happens in the beginning will determine how this girl sees you.  Do you wish to show you care about impressing parents who may not even know about you or she might have several bf's and either playing you or trying to get what she can without any real commitment.  Take your time and use restraint and be respectful and use good judgment.  It is customary for the parents to give her kids money for blessings and not to receive gifts - so money should definitely NOT be given.  If you were going to her parents house - and you had a clue what they wanted - you could bring an appropriate gift.  Your gf, if things progress, will help you but until then keep your money and find out if this girl is anyone you wish to know better and whom you can trust.

Good luck!

/Gary/

NEVER give cash - for fuks sake.  They will ALWAYS take the pxxx. The smaller the gift, the better