Roadtrips

We have been in Tyler now for 2 months and are keen to travel and see some sights. We are looking for some interesting family places to visit that are a reasonable driving distance. We have teenage sons so active/outdoor trips are a good start. Thanks in advance  :D

I am assuming you are in Tyler, Texas

Go to San Antonio and see the Alamo and get in on the river activities there. Head out into Texas Hill Country. Head to Galveston, Corpus Christi, or the small islands off the coast of Texas for a few days at the beach. Take the day drive to New Mexico and explore any of their canyons and caverns. Or head east into Arkansas and explore the state park that allows you to dig for diamonds and keep whatever you find.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will take a look  :)

The USA is such a vast place, but when thinking about road trips it's best to take into account can you only do 1 day trips?...lf that's all you can do then set your maximum daily mileage, work out how long you have to spend at the sightseeing venue, & how long it takes to get home.
I worked out that l could get from the furthest NW part of the USA to the tip of the most southerly point of the USA  (Bellingham WA to Key West FL) for $100 gas/petrol money on my motorcycle............but, the quickest l could do it in if l did 500mls a day is 7 days, so l also need 7 nights accomodation, which if l used www.airbnb.com for overnight stays would be $25 a night, so that's almost another $200 on top, & eating cheaply at say McD's or getting supermarket food would be another $10 a day, so erring on the high side l could do it for $400 if l really stuck to a budget.
What l'm trying to say is, whether it's a day trip or a week long road trip, pre-planning is needed so that unexpected expenses don't ruin it, & Google will tell you all you need to know about any area or City in the World, let alone just the USA.......Happy Trips!!!

http://i.imgur.com/JtoI8Yd.jpg