thyroxine tablets, for under active thyroid.

Medical question. I have an under active thyroid, I need to get on prescription, is it easy enough to get them here . I don't pay for them in England, believe I've been told will have to pay for them here. Will I be able to get them easily enough here I do have a copy of the prescription with me.  Hope someone will have some advice please. I know I can go to mosta clinic but will I have to go an see the doctor first,
even though I have a copy of prescription.
Is there a set price for prescription per item.
Thanks. Pauline

No ! You go to the doctor, get the prescription and pay at the pharmacy ( unless you qualify for exempts).

Ok thanks. Well I am exempt in England. But just don't know if in Malta I will have to pay .but thank you

I have been here since October 2014  i too have an underactive thyroid. If you have a prescription just go to a pharmacy and they cost around €2.80 p.pkt of 30 50mg. When your prescription expires you can either go to a private Dr or local clinic - they may send you for a blood test to check, but will easily give you a prescription. My thyroid is unstable & I have had 3 blood tests since last August - I go to Gzira health centre (its free) & can't fault them. You have to hang about sometimes, but it was like that in the UK!
Hope that helps!

Thank you for the information thanks .

Hi, my reply may be a bit late and you are probably sorted by now, I buy Thyroxine for about €1.50 a pack of 50 mcg (30 tabs) without a prescription, some places look for one, some don't. 25mcg is about double that, not sure why :)

Questions and answers about the health system

Ask your question
Doctor in Malta
By RalloTubbs
Mellieha health care
By SummerJessica
Body donation
By Vagrant
Osteopathy Needed
Is Manual Therapy (Osteopathy) sort after in Malta?
By Osteopathy Needed
Healthcare in malta
By charmender
Health care
By Craignm

Expatriate health insurance in Malta

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Malta

Moving to Malta

Find tips from professionals about moving to Malta

Travel insurance in Malta

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Malta

Flights to Malta