WHY do Retirement Visas cost so much ??

Hi everyone,

I've removed a few off topic posts from this thread

EDIT: Looks really more complicated than I thought. I'll read everything again tomorrow

All the best

Julien

Hansson wrote:

Well you've got me there Fred. I won't stand outside the immigration department asking foreigners if there was any bribery involved.

It would be far too hot to hang around outside, so I hang around inside. :D

More seriously, I have been to several immigration offices on business of late, so I took the opportunity to observe the people, and there was not so much as a hint of illegal cash being handed over by anyone, to anyone.
No 'winks', no taking people into quiet rooms, and not an envelope to been seen.
This friendly handsome hunk of a poster saw absolutely no sign of anything naughty going on in any of the immigration offices I visited, something I couldn't claim eight years ago.

In my opinion, bribes to immigration officers is unlikely to be an issue as far as the price of any immigration document goes because experience and open eyes tells me immigration have cleaned up their act in a spectacular way.

Of course, that doesn't mean the odd officer won't try it on from time to time, but these will be one off bad apples, and I don't see them lasting long in their jobs if they get found out. The busts in Jakarta of last year proved the department's commitment to dumping the last of their problems.

I hold to my opinion - Immigration officers are not corrupt, and the immigration service is a great credit to Indonesia, so bribery is not an issue with retirement visas.

I haven't ever applied for a retirement visa so you've got me there Fred  :)

Going through an agent is almost a certain guarantee of avoiding the problem too.

"I hold to my opinion - Immigration officers are not corrupt, and the immigration service is a great credit to Indonesia, so bribery is not an issue with retirement visas."

And that is certainly the case here in Bali at all three immigration offices.   :top:

And as far as Bali goes, corruption is very low on all other levels as well, including customs.

That's excellent Roy.

Hansson wrote:

I haven't ever applied for a retirement visa so you've got me there Fred  :)

Going through an agent is almost a certain guarantee of avoiding the problem too.

Neither have, mostly because I'm young and handsome, but my mum is looking at it.

@ MrBruce >

Have you received all the answers that you were waiting for please?

Thanks

Priscilla

Thank you Priscilla, yes I now have enough information. Bruce

Just wanna add this....I was using a company based in Bali.......first of all they wanted close to 150 million idr for the unlimited retirement Visa.....then it was "reduced" to around 100 million idr. I had paid a large amount previously for the 5 year Kitap...this appeared to be the only agent I could find  at the time. This coupled with exceptionally high rental for a house in Setiabudi Bandung made me and my partner decide to move to Portugal where immigration costs are minimal. Cost for a year's stay (here) with a minimum of fuss and a one stop immigration office is circa 140 Euro/s. But I do miss Indonesia as mentioned in previous posts.......

I paid 8 & 1/2 Million & had to fly out to Australia & go to Indo Embassy with paperwork from my sponser in Indo & receive the 12 month Visa' stamped in my passport! Then fly back with in the month & get passport sent to Jakarta & registered & revive my Indo ID Card! KITAS

StanSedevic wrote:

I paid 8 & 1/2 Million & had to fly out to Australia & go to Indo Embassy with paperwork from my sponser in Indo & receive the 12 month Visa' stamped in my passport! Then fly back with in the month & get passport sent to Jakarta & registered & revive my Indo ID Card! KITAS

The KITAS is an immigration document, not an ID card.
You should also get an SKTT from your local government office, starting with your pak RT.
The fines for not having one are minor, but there do seem to have been cases of people spending a night in a cell whilst it's sorted out.

“Just wanna add this....I was using a company based in Bali.......first of all they wanted close to 150 million idr for the unlimited retirement Visa.....then it was "reduced" to around 100 million idr. I had paid a large amount previously for the 5 year Kitap...this appeared to be the only agent I could find  at the time.”

Sorry, but none of this is making any sense.

One does not go from a KITAP to a retirement visa.  And the amounts you quote are way, way beyond anything I have ever heard of being quoted for a retirement visa.

Finally, what is an “unlimited retirement Visa?”

Stan, you didn't "have to fly" back to OZ.  You only needed to leave the country and visit an Indonesian embassy or consulate office to activate the visa. 

Most folks chose Singapore for that.

Thanks Fred
I will look into that, people saying you can get 5 years straight up ?? I was under the opinion it's 1 year than another 1 year before you can get the 5 years?

Well, let me toss in my two cents worth. Why is a retirement visa so expensive?  Well the actual visa is only $65 canadian (plus $25 each to get your 'documents' certified) at the Indonesian Consulate.  This cost pales when compared to the KITAS which allows you to stay in country for up to one year. When I got my first KITAS three and a half years ago it cost me 6 juta plus another 500.000 rp for a one year "liability policy" (which I have never seen by the way). If you go into the Immigration office and look above the cashier window there is nothing listed for a 'retirement KITAS'. If you ask an employee in the office, they suggest you ask your agent.  Best I can tell is half of my 6 juta fee went to the agent and half goes to the Immigration office.  The agents entire involvement in the process is to collect your documents, add a sponsorship letter to the pile and hand it over to the Immigration Office.  Around two weeks later they call you to come and get your KITAS and paperwork back.  Raise your hand if your agent/sponsor has ever done anything else fir you.

In addition to the 6.5 jt the first year, I was told by the agent that Immigration now requires a domicili letter. I went to the village kantor and had to pony up 2 jt for the document (no corruption there...the list on the wall put the cost at 20.000 rp). This past year my cost was 8.5 juta because, according to the agent, we are now required to buy a one year exit/entry permit (seems like a cruel joke to pay 6.5jt for a permit to stay a year and an extra 2 jt in the same breath to leave for 12 months...prior to this year I just got a 3 month exit/entry permit for 500.000).  Additional hidden costs are the cost of a "helper", minimum 1jt per month, and house rental of 5 jt per month.  If I were trying to avoid KPK I would use a middle man (like some sort of agent) to do the dirty work.  After all, a fee, no matter how outrageous, if not collected by a government employee can hardly be considered a bribe, no matter where it ends up.

Seems I was being ripped off big time....I had already paid up to 50 million idr for the 5 year Kitap...then early this year this email arrived from Sola Gracia Bali...
Hallo Mr. ......

Hopefully you are well.  Bali just start raining !!

FYI that you KITAP is being due in 23th March 2016 .
Do you think would upgrade to un-limited KITAP OR prefer to start fromt eh 1st KITAS.

Price :
Un-limited KITAP and 2 years MERP is IDR. 98,000,000

Start as from the 1st KITAS is IDR. 13,500,000 / 12 months KITAS and MERP.
Excludes arrangemetn of EPO (exit permit only) and fee at Indonesian Embassy.

Please let me know for I can share details requirement.

Regards,
Yani
Yani mentions the "Un-Limited KITAP" which I was led to understand did not need renewal...they had told me once I was with their company I could not change that company. Late last year "an agent for this agent" wanted nearly 150 million idr for the same process......

omg ! , these prices seem exorbitant

Guys... if you pay an agent for more than usual. You are being ripped off.
The key is finding reputable agent. And not about fees first.

I can only help referring you to an agent in Jakarta, if you don't want to do it yourself and free the hassle.
As a guidance, if you are paying more money than usual below, DO  shop around.

Agent Fees Jakarta Area in 2016:
Kitas 1 year - around 6 million Rupiah
Kitap 5 year  - around 25 million Rupiah

If you do it yourself:
Kitas 1 year - around 2.5 million Rupiah
Kitap 5 year - around 5.5 million Rupiah

Retirement Visa, you do need initially a sponsor from a travel agent.

Regarding Retirement Visa and the costs entailed. One can review the initial costs and procedures in an Indonesian Consulate in Canberra Australia.
http://www.kbri-canberra.org.au/index.p … ement-visa

In all things, follow your gut instincts and question the agent, and know their place or identification.

For retirement KITAS/KITAP there is no option to "do it yourself". You MUST have a specially licensed travel agent to be your "sponsor". As far as I can tell, there are only about 4 of these specially licensed agents in Bali.  Others that claim to be agents, actually submit your package via one of the licensed agents. Prices for this 'service' vary widely. I just checked my agents website and since Aug, the price has gone from 8.5 to 9.5 juta.  Has there been any change in immigration law since Aug?  I don't think so.  To get the 5 year KITAP (after you do the one year KITAS process five times) you simply multiply the one year fee by 5. That is 47.5 juta.  The total involvment of the 'agent' for the KITAP is the one page sponsor letter, and if you are lucky, an email in 57 months reminding you to renew.  Tidy little profit there.  Why are the number of agents so limitted?  Therein lies the answer to why the "retirement visa" is so expensive.

Yes John is on the money. That sounds exactly right & my agent is a lovely Lady that's honest like a sister & John you have confirmed exactly what I paid her for the one year & I remember her saying your grotto do Ito er & over & over before you recieve a five year KITAS.😊🙏🎉😜😄🎯🎊💫👌⚡️🌟👍
Some other people make to many blanket statements that are misleading & really holding people in contempt. Wounder why the world is as it is👌🙏😊

Favenchi, your story is amazing.  But it begs a question…that question being…did it ever occur to you that those prices as quoted by that particular agent were way, way over the top?  Please tell us that you didn't actually go ahead and pay those prices!
If you need a couple of recommendations for a good agent on Bali for your retirement visa, then write to fifitadog on this forum.  She just went through this process using one agent that I recommended to her. 
“You MUST have a specially licensed travel agent to be your "sponsor". As far as I can tell, there are only about 4 of these specially licensed agents in Bali.”

Commander, that is not correct.  The agent needed to sponsor a retirement visa is a licensed visa agent, (who may or may not also be a licensed travel agent), and there are far more than four of them on Bali.  In your case (Buleleng Regency), they are fewer in number, and moreover, you are required to use the Kantor Immigrasi office in Singaraja…but nonetheless, you do have options insofar as finding the right visa agent.

“To get the 5 year KITAP (after you do the one year KITAS process five times) you simply multiply the one year fee by 5. That is 47.5 juta.”

That is also not correct.  The vast majority of KITAPs are only issued to foreign spouses of Indonesian citizens…although there are some exceptions.  Normally it is the Indonesian spouse of the foreigner who acts as the sponsor for the KITAP applicant, and this visa can be done without an agent at a cost far less than 47.5 million IDR.  Before I went with full citizenship, my KITAP cost 3.5 million with my Balinese wife as my sponsor. 

"Some other people make to many blanket statements that are misleading & really holding people in contempt."

Amen to that!   :o

"Guys... if you pay an agent for more than usual. You are being ripped off. The key is finding reputable agent." 

YES INDEED!   :top:

According to the Indonesian Consular Service in Canberra Australia ... Retirement Visa Costs AUD $165 ... I am STILL trying to work out WHY I should pay $950 to some one so I can get the Visa ??? The more information I receive on this site the more confused I become. As much as I love the Indonesian people and their culture and want to live there I cannot comprehend WHY I should pay some one in Immigration $950 when I am attempting to live in Indonesia and spend at least $20,000 per year?

Actually, what confuses me most is... WHO exactly am I paying this AUD $950 to ???

No offense, but DFAT (in my humble opinion, formed over many, many years) has NEVER been a source of reliable information.  ;)

The one thing you need to understand is that the cost of the retirement visa is totally dependent on the agent you chose to be your sponsor.

Save yourself more headache and uncertainty and contact either of these two agents in Bali:   

http://balimodevisa.com/http://www.bali-expat-business.com/

http://www.kbri-canberra.org.au/index.p … ement-visa

I always believed the prices were way over the top....they had me convinced they were the only ones who could handle my Kitap. I did pay for a series of one year "Kitas" and then the 5 years "Kitap"...next would have been what they described as the unlimited Kitap and that would have cost just below the equivalent of 10 thousand dollars......nearly 15 thousand originally quoted. We have since departed Indonesia due to this and high rental costs at the house in Setiabudi Bandung. The owners increased the rent every 2 years and it became cheaper to move to Europe.  I appreciate the suggestions for a reputable agent......who knows...we could return one day........by the way that "Unlimited Kitap" was meant to have no time limit.....only the re-entry permit would have to be renewed every two years. Does anyone know if this if for real?

Rents in Bandung vary from rock bottom (below Rp20 million at year to around Rp70 - 80 million for a decent sized 2 storey newish house with 3 or 4 bedrooms). Then there are houses that cost from Rp80 - 200 million per year or even higher. There is a lot of choice. I mean if I felt the rent was becoming too expensive then I'd find another house rather than move to Europe. May I ask how much rent the landlord was charging you?

Bruce, that link you provided is applicable only to Australians who are applying for their Indonesian retirement visa within Australia through the Indonesian Embassy, or one of the many Indonesian consulate offices there.

This is something new.  Indonesia often uses Australia to try out proposed changes to visa procedures.  For example, some years ago they initiated in flight VOA issuance on certain inbound flights to Bali from OZ.

The vast majority of foreigners who wish to apply for a retirement visa need to do so here in country (Indonesia) through Indonesian immigration, and as already mentioned, a legal visa agent must be used to sponsor that visa.

It may well be that Indonesia has expanded retirement visa application through its embassies and consulates in other countries beyond Australia.  Any foreigner presently residing outside of Indonesia who plans to apply for a retirement KITAS is advised to call the Indonesian embassy or consulate nearest to where they currently live and ask if that visa can be directly applied for at said embassy or consulate.

Any foreigner who is already in country is wise to go to their Indonesian immigration office and ask for recommendations for a licensed visa agent that is fair with their side of the pricing of the services rendered. 

VISA regulations and procedures have always been in a constant state of flux here in Indonesia, and most likely that will not change.  As a result of this constant flux, web sites, and indeed forums are not always 100% up to date…which is understandable.

Ubudian, thank you very much again. I was referred to guy on Bali when I was in Gili T by a friend with business on Gili T.  After returning to Australia I called the guy in Bali who said he would have to work through a guy on Lombok because I want to live on Gili T. Since then I have been contacted by message through this forum from someone who lives on Lombok and he told me there is Only 1 licensed agent on Lombok. As it is I will call Consul in Canberra and get explanation from them as to what I should do.
  Once again, thank you all for the responses.

Expatriate life on Gili T.  That should be interesting! 

Cheers, and good luck to you!

I just got my retirement visa and cost me Rp 8,600,000 . I use Bali Mode they are very good! 2 weeks and is all done! then they pick up even my passport with my Kitas from my house in Bali.

Hi all as I'm approaching 55 shortly but will be retiring at 56 next year.  Is it better to organise retirement visa now or when I settle there next year   Cheerrs

That's your decision.  The poster just before your post, (Fifitadog) initiated her retirement visa while still in OZ...if I remember correctly.

Chhers

Can any one on this forum recommend a trustworthy agent if I organise it all from oz 😀

Hello!  Are you reading this forum?

I'm quite certain that Fifitadog would well recommend Bali Mode.  As I said, she organized her retirement visa from OZ.  And, as far as I know, she is the most recent member on this forum to have gone though this process.

Google them and get in touch. 

Cheers!

I pay 7.5 million in Bali. My visa agent would be delighted to work for you.
Marc

Can you please provide his details.  I'm going to Bali in May and I can start then or maybe I can start now

MarkJordan,
You really need to read more, and research more. The resources are widely available.
Rather than asking first before reading.