Cost of Living

I have read in a few posts where people say it's expensive to live in Jordan.  Can someone give me an idea (in USD) of how much income is required to live decently in Jordan? I understand your opinions are "colored" by your idea of what it means to live decently and that is no prob.

We have 3 kids.

Thanks,

Welcome to the forum 05Kings :-)

I am posting the approximate prices in Jordan of the basics in USD. Now it up to you to do the calculation of your cost of livings.

Restaurants    
Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant             7.99 $
Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant     29.69 $
Combo Meal at McDonalds or Similar     6.66 $
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught)     3.04 $
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle)     4.07 $
Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle)             0.58 $
Water (0.33 liter bottle)             0.73 $

Markets    
Milk (regular), 1 liter                          1.70 $
Loaf of Fresh Bread                              1.57 $
Eggs (12)                                      1.29 $
Fresh Cheese (1kg)                             11.38 $
Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1kg)     3.78 $
Water (1.5 liter bottle)                     0.75 $
Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range)                     24.14 $
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter bottle)            1.99 $
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle)             4.77 $
Pack of Cigarettes (Marlboro)                     2.36 $

Transportation    
One-way Ticket (local transport)     0.60 $
Monthly Pass                              19.05 $
Taxi (5km within center)              2.33 $
Gasoline (1 liter)                      0.74 $

Utilities (Monthly)    
Basic (Electricity, Gas, Water, Garbage)     70.86 $
1 min. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff (no discounts or plans)                                             0.20 $
Internet (2 Mbps ADSL flat)                     60.91 $

Sports And Leisure    
Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult     66.70 $
Tennis Court Rent (1 Hour on Weekend)     6.67 $
Cinema, International Release, 1 Seat     8.00 $

Clothing And Shoes
1 Summer Dress in a Chain Store (Zara, H&M)      72.75 $

Rent Per Month    
Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre             490.54 $
Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre     339.66 $
Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre             1,040.44 $
Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre     500.34 $

Buy Apartment Price    
Price per Square Meter to Buy Apartment in City Centre 
$ 1,099.80
Price per Square Meter to Buy Apartment Outside of Centre     $ 710.74

Salaries And Financing
Median Monthly Disposable Salary (After Tax)             494.11 $
Mortgage Interest Rate in Percentanges (%), Yearly     8.75

I hope this might help you! If you need any information, do not hesitate to ask on the forum!

Regards

Source: "Cost of Living in Jordan" Retrieved from Numbeo.com

Thanks Yud, that's the kind of info I was hoping to get.

you are welcome ;)

well said Yud very good numbers,More to tell ,I would say,good income to have a good life in Amman-Jordan with 3 Kids should be no less than $1300 Month,To start u might need a buy a car + Home Furniture + Appliances that's about $13000 to $20000 .
Of course the Cost of living in Jordan depends on Where u will live!!Some areas Apt Rent is less than $500 areas are no less than $1500..You have choices u pick where and how u will live ...
Hope I was help ..
Chris

Hi Kalamir :)

But you shall agree it is quite expensive to live there, especially for newly arrived expatriates. Do the companies or employers there paid according to the high cost of living in the country?

Normally what is the expected salary range of a post graduate in Jordan?

It would nice if you can bring some clarifications!

Warm Regards!

Yud,Of course I agree with u,it is very expensive to live in Jordan.Companies don't pay much,some do but not much if u work for international company then u might be ok..
If u looking for Local Jobs then if u have very Good degree and some Exp,ur age less than 35 years old then u have good chance to land a good job here with salary around $800 to $1500 month .
best place to work is UN of course ...
In Jordan is all about age and degree ,the older u get the lower chance for a Job..

why it is expansive there?
i dont think the people there are rich??

It just depends on your own personal standard of living.

I know entire (small) Jordanian families ( 3-4 household #) that live off of  550 JDs a month, both parents work, leave their kids and the grand parents house, and they have a car, and an apartment which THEY furnished for 50-80 JDS a month. SO it depends on LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. --They live very comfortably.

Those people live in a small village or in Madaba, or Jerash. Or another situation could be this if you really really wanna go cheap:

Rent a normal average home (unfurnished in Jerash) for like 40-100jds/mo -(I'm sure if you are a foreigner they'll charge more but if you're Jordanian from that area you'll usually pay only about 40-80 JDs depending on the exact location ofcourse. In my husbands village we can rent a 2 bedroom house with a kitchen and two baths for like 50JDs/Month.

Fouad and I are going to be doing just that, because otherwise there is just no way.

Furnishing an apartment is going to need like 150 JDs down, and then you pay 40 JDs a month for like 4 -5 years (1800JD loan). And the other stuff like dishes, gas...that's also where it adds up. Dishes (about 30JDs) and then a Gas Tank (a small one cause thats all they use there ) is another 50 JDs.

So I can move into an apartment, furnish it and survive for a year for well under 1500 JDS. But we are probably not going to buy gas, and instead we will by a small electric stove for only like 25JDs. And then furntiture--i'm just going to buy a good fridge, and some arabic furniture, and then a simple guest sitting area. Maybe a cheap rug (30 JDs).

So it's like--if you are looking for a simple lifestyle like the locals ( I mean locals --I mean NORMAL majority LOCALS --not the people of Amman LOCALS --Locals in Amman are known to be wealthy(1500 JDs + /month). And the majority of Jordan IS NOT at all even close to being wealthy.

Native Jordanians are usually very poor and live below the poverty level line. So don't think that everyone is like what you see in Amman. Most of those who are rich in Amman are either
1.Palestinians who sold their land to Israelies for millions and so they brought their riches to Amman for a better life.
2.Iraqis who brought their wealth with them to Jordan to settle down with  or to temporarily live here with.
3.Some are from the Gulf (Saudi's, ect)
4.Some are just people who had relatives in the US who worked and then they came back with all this money saved up after leaving their families behind for years at a time.
5. Private business owners fro Syria, Egypt...ect.

These people only make up about perhaps 15% of the population ( maybe even much less ).

In general, Jordanians struggle to live. They have to usually work very hard some end up selling their own land just to support their kids and get them through college. Native Jordanians are usually the ones who have the hardest time because they have to compete with the wealthy newcomers( usually Iraqis ) to Jordan who spike up rent prices and just the prices in general. LIke I can go to Jerash, and with 10 JDs by an entire months worth of vegetables. But 10JDs in the Waha circle will only get you a weeks worth of fruits and vegetables.

Fouad and I used to get our veggies from Jerash cause they are much much much more cheaper then Amman in general.

People usually eat meat on Fridays. LIke they'll make Mansaf, or Magloubah or Kebsah. And usually those are the days that they spend their money for meat...like (10 JDs for chicken ect.) So that's how Jordanians survive. And they do it quite well. I LOVE their food --it's sooo simple, and just sooo good. There's nothing like sliced tomatoes in corn oil or ghazal...it's just so simple and filling.

Normal  or average Jordanians usually don't go to malls(unless the live in Amman), and go to pubs and stuff like we foreigners are accustomed to doing .  They usually go and have barbecue picnics with family, or a three day weekend in Aqaba, every once in a blue moon -usually that's what they like to do for fun. So there you go. Jordanian Life.