Looking for a Brazilian substitute for Andouille sausage

I have some major Saudades for Louisiana gumbo. I am hoping someone who has been in Brazil longer than me can recommend a good type of sausage here that I can use in place of Cajun Andouille sausage for some chicken and sausage gumbo. Thanks in advance to anyone with an idea.

I love gumbo and greatly miss it here in Brasil.   I had a friend at the PUB restaurant in Macae close to the Sheraton who cooked me a great sausage and chicken gumbo and also a shrimp gumbo for the IADC-Brazil cook-off.  However, he has now moved out of town so I am without a cook.

I lived in Lafayette for several years.

As such, I open to meet to cook a gumbo where and when you want.

I would like to get one of the local restaurants to carry gumbo as a menu item.

Feel free to send me an email and we can then exchange phone numbers if you want.

John

Oh wow that's really cool. Do you remember what type of sausage he used in it? That's what I am trying to figure out. I may end up doing a seafood gumbo now until I can get the sausage thing figured out. Gumbo is one of the few things that I really miss where I can get pretty much all of the ingredients to make it, or the cost isn't crazy high because of an imported item( I'm thinking maple syrup!). I am fairly sure there is a good andouille substitute here I just don't know what it's called.

Lafayette is a great city, Were you going to school there? I have spent a lot of time in Louisiana and have many friends there.

I think you may be a bit far away for a Gumbo cook-off with me, but if you are ever in Floripa you can DM me!

Hi brazilfam,

As someone who has lived here in Brazil for 14 years and also loves to cook I can tell you that you can find a few substitutes for Andouille sausage.

There are a few different types of smoked pork sausage quite similar to Andouille, The most common substitues are Paio (pie-oh), Chorizo (sho-ri-zo) Argentino or Chorizo Gaúcho shouldn't be too difficult to find if you go to a specialty store, butcher (açougue) or Central Market.

What you need to ask for if you can't find these specific types of sausage (linguiça) is "linguiça suina desfumada".

Bom apetite,
James
expat.com Experts Team

WOW.   That was fast reply.

Yes, Flornapolis is a long way from Macae.   However, if you are ever in Rio de Janeiro, please let me know and maybe we can meet up.  As a side note, Rio de Janeiro now has a few Mexican restaurants, but no gumbo to my knowledge.

I went to college at UNC in Chapel Hill, the Tar Heels.  I then moved to Houston, Texas in 1973 when gasoline was US 32 cents per gallon and I finally learned to LOVE Mexican food, although it took me a few tries.

I will try to find the name of the sausage here in Brasil, but it may take some time.

John

James,

very cool! Thanks a lot. Out of the ones you mentioned by name, which would you expect to be the spiciest?

Macae,

Fellow Mexican/ Texmex food lover here. I make Fajitas all the time, Salsa too. I find Fralginha makes a great sub for flank steak if you weren't already aware. I will make sure to get a hold of you if I am ever in Rio for sure.

Okey dokey!!!

Probably the Choriso would be spiciest. If you buy them at a butcher or the Central Market it's quite likely that the vendor will allow you to taste a sample and you can go with whichever you prefer.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team