Tourism and Visa

Greetings!
I currently live in the US and am looking for a seasonal job in the Recreation, tourism, or agriculture areas in Iceland. Where can I begin looking for these opportunities?

What kind of Visa should I get if i plan on only being there for about 110 days?

Where can I look for housing and how much is a descent amount for housing? 

what should I expect my cost of living to be?

Im thinking of going to Reykjavik but i'm open to all options.

Thank you :)

I suggest that you read through the posts on this section of the forum for information.

Very hard to get seasonal work in Iceland.

Perhaps do a Google search for the Iceland immigration website and see if you qualify for a visa.

For housing and cost of living www.numbeo.com

Hi,

As Stumpy says, there is already a lot of information in this forum regarding housing & costs in Iceland.

There are three categories of work visa in Iceland, all of which are generally issued for a year at a time.

Professional athlete: doesn't apply to your situation
Qualified professional: given to people who have skills hard to come by in Iceland. Lots of IT people have this one
Temporary shortage of labor: I have never heard of anyone being on this one.

You can read more about visas at http://utl.is/index.php/en/work

The type of job you describe wanting is the kind of thing that generally goes to people from other EEA member countries as it requires no visa for the employer, and paperwork is relatively simple for them. If you want to work legally in Iceland, you need a national ID number (Kennitala) which is rather a hassle to get if you're coming from the US. Even after I had a work visa from the immigration authorities, it still took weeks for my kennitala to be processed. If you don't have a visa, you're going to be out of luck trying to get a kennitala.

So my advice to you is consider whether you can volunteer or do WWOOF during a stay that's under 90 days.

There is also the option of applying to uni, but you are limited in the amount you can work while attending school.