Got a new contract in Norway - Help! Can I Work there?

Hello my name is Richard. I worked in Norway for 8 months for a Norwegian company last year but i had to too move back to England for personal reasons,

i canceled my contract and took my holiday money.

Ive been asked too go back too norway very soon with an english company.

Is it possible too do this ?

I really need an answer , i hope you can help

Norway is still here and there are still ways to transport yourself and your worldly goods from England to Norway so.. yeah I would say it's still possible to move here.

(if you want a more specific answer, it'd be helpful to know which bit of the move you're uncertain about)

Im ok too move, everything is organised but i was told if you cancel your contract at a Norwegian company you cant come back and work even if its with another company??? I think its strange, do you know if this is true? 😊

I think it would be best to discuss this matter openly with your current employer company to avoid any legal conflicts. 

Z

Richcorbett wrote:

i was told if you cancel your contract at a Norwegian company you cant come back and work even if its with another company??? I think its strange, do you know if this is true? 😊

who told you this? Norwegians move jobs all the time so it sounds suspicious to me, but I agree with Xeeschan. Explain your situation to your future employer in Norway so everything is aboveboard.

maybe there was a clause in place if he resigned from his previous company????

In order to bypass any such speculations/assumptions, we have advised the OP to simply contact his to-be employer to discuss the issue.

Thank you
Z

fornight wrote:

maybe there was a clause in place if he resigned from his previous company????

He says its norwegin law? Too me it seems strange

As ECS also asked before, who exactly says that?

Sorry guys not explaining properly, the norwegin company said because youve worked for a norwegin company and quit ur job , you then cant come back for a year? ...but i dont understand why if im coming back in an english company ..its nothing too do with my old job but they said its law

I'd ask them "what law"? Get a concrete reference to the legislation that can be looked up.

Romaniac

Thanks rom, i keep trying to find any info about this online but i get nowhere, so i cant directly talk to anyone

i once heard this from a friend who told me if you have skilled worker permit for 6 years, you need to leave Norway for a year before reapplying another skilled worker permit.    I am unsure if that is true.

Were you working in your old company for 6 years???

i canceled my contract and took my holiday money.

Perhaps the OP could clarify that line. Mentioning it could mean it's important.

http://www.nyinorge.no/en/Ny-i-Norge-ve … liday-pay/

Holiday pay is earned the year before it is paid (the holiday year). Holiday pay is 10.2 per cent of the wages paid during the earning year. Holiday pay is normally paid in June. Part of your pay in June will be withheld by your employer. This money will be paid to you when you actually take your holiday.You are entitled to be paid holiday pay one week before taking your holiday or in connection with the final settlement if you leave the enterprise.

If the pay is earned the year before it's paid, and you were only there for eight months, were you entitled to it, or does the employer commonly allow you to take it anyway?

No it was like 8months but they said if you cancel ur contract you cant come back? But its with an english company

As responded by many members above, this is the reason why the HR department in your company exists. I am assuming you are a UK citizen? As such you do not require a visa to live and work in Norway (there is an agreement in place between Norway and UK even though the UK is not a member of Schengen).

The only reason I could think of is a non-compete clause in your previous contract so simply give that to your HR department and let them sort it out. Speaking with natives most companies don't enforce non-competes even if they have them as they then have to pay the employee (yourself) their existing wages for the non-compete period.

Anything that is legislation or Arbeide Law related your HR department will either know themselves or will follow up with the relevant body to clarify and/or clear any impediments