First time in Thailand

Hi my name is Tex (currently in Texas) I'm moving to Phuket March 5,2016 & I have few questions. I just spent 4 years living in Mexico (off grid for 2 years on Sea of Cortez). I've never been to Thailand but looks like my kind of place. Answers to questions would be appreciated. Thanks.  1.) I'm bringing my dog (yellow lab 110 lbs.)is this problem (would like to rent house near beach outside of tourist area (I don't do well with tourist ).                        2.) Can someone recommend a pet friendly hotel (near or on beach).2 weeks        3.) Things I should bring from America ..talking about stuff I can't get there that I would need. Thanks

Hello Texmex9696,

I have created a new thread from your post on the forum Phuket for you to have better replies to your questions.

Concerning accommodation, I invite you to read the article Accommodation in Phuket . This article may help you to choose an accommodation.

You can also have a look in the Houses for rent in Phuket. There may be interesting offer for you.

Thank You,
Best Regards,
Naomi.

Hey Tex, (BE CAREFUL, PEOPLE GO MISSING or END UP DEAD same as Mexico I guess) I've been to Phuket a fair few times (10 or something + 2 to Essan/Rural Thailand) and now reside permanently in Chanthaburi Thailand - Perhaps a little off topic but if you don't like tourists it might be better to rethink your relocation/holiday program area, tweek it just a little bit although the further you get from these areas the Thai people do not speak English language as fluently or at all sometimes. I positively hate tourists, find them offensive, rude, arrogant, ignorant (the list continues) as well as generally smelly. It seems like you're a bit of a loner, comments like 'off the grid' and 'not liking tourists' & such. I cannot give you any positive information regarding accommodation there as it will be bloody expensive (like everything there) however, in any out of the tourism 'normal' areas here, there are better quality cost effective alien opportunities - Thai people aren't stupid and do well in the opportunism side of things. So getting yourself onto an island run by the Thai mafia where they can take full advantage is a place I do not wish to go, or partake in their bulls!t so lesson learned. In the 'normal' areas of Thailand you can rent out apartments reasonably. I repeat that doesn't involve the likes of Phuket or Pattaya where it's highway robbery but if you absolutely must have the seaside view maybe try Hua Hin or Jomtien, have a good look around and don't be dragged into the full blown tourism area sides of things if you don't really want to be part of it. Multi story Shop/Apartments here go for about 3,800B + services per month unfurnished with Air-Con. I was told something by a bloke and it was in hindsight completely true  "it's a trap" referring to Phuket. Bar ridden sleez pit, but if you like drugs, sex and rock'n roll, and have deep pockets this may well be the place you're chasing. Your well feed Golden Lab may have differing ideas (dropping it's weight in the heat)? My Husky was born and breed here, she looks great and is very happy. Also budget for a motorbike 16,000B - 60,000B+ purchase or 200B/day rental (again sliding scale), they are a must to have any sort of real freedom. Have a bit more of a think on local, I'd also have a look at Cambodia - not putting you off Thailand but I go there every 4 months and love it equally.  What to bring depends on how long you're coming for, personal nick nacks and stuff you'd use every day + good thongs my preference is Oakley for quality in size 14 (difficult), pharmaceuticals can be difficult to acquire; they changed the laws on some stuff - what else would you be needing? Have a look at the visa requirements as it's the one thing that all foreigners here have difficulty with - Immigration officers are one of my pet hates. More info required :) Best of luck and a bit more homework however I hope you really enjoy yourself.

I'm from the US living in Bangkok, having only visited Phuket once, but I could also mention a few ideas.  As Mike-robbo mentioned thinking through Phuket as a destination might be the first concern.  If you  don't want to be around tourists an island resort may not be the right choice, although it's not that small an island, so there is a small city part, just not much of an "out in the country" since there's not that much of it.  of course no matter where you  live you'll have lots of the same concerns, about housing related issues, visa, language, etc. 

so I guess onto the stuff about America part.  it's not like there is a lot missing here that you couldn't live without, so if you only showed up with a bit of clothing you'd get by.  it's more a case of missing a specific version of something, or being put off by paying a lot of tax and having a lot of things cost more here than back in the West.  I guess something like tennis shoes could serve as an example, but it covers lots of things.  as for things they'd have different versions of, there are lots, but you couldn't really bring it all:  socks and underwear selection is different, vitamins and supplements aren't the same, who knows what pet care products that would apply to, and so on.  at the extreme some people end up wanting to import their whole life from somewhere else here, all the foods, a Western gym, everything Amazon sells, etc., and to some extent it makes more sense to not even move then.

If you aren't keen on tourists, especially drunken ones with a prostitute or ladyboy on their arms, skip Phuket.
The place is amazingly beautiful, but is totally ruined by the sleeze and general massive attempts to catch AIDS that go on there.

Add the place is a tourist rip off opportunity for every overpriced con man and pearl seller in Thailand, and I thought it was hell on earth, but with nice restaurants.

I've every confidence Thailand has a million lovely places, but Imagine they're a healthy pedigree dog -  Phuket is the poop.

Or if the ladyboy angle sounds interesting maybe as well to do a few months in Phuket and plan on a move later.  It goes without saying that Phuket may have rough edges but it isn't the official center of vice in Thailand; Pattaya has no competition related to that.

hey,
My last place of residence in the US of A was Houston what made ya pick Thailand anyhow. I've been here nearly 2 1/2 years this time and about the same when I was in the army many years ago. What ya should bring is what you got. By that I mean ya can get every thing (nearly) here that ya could in America. heres a realator address that might help ya find a place, or at least give ya an Idea of whats around. Puket is probably most expensive place in Thailand, followed by Pattaya. I live in Hua Hin (Wa Hin) and cheapest place is probably Chiang Mai. I was there for nearly 2 years but then came here.  Wanted to be closer to ocean. I pay 11,000 baht a month for a walled in 2 bedroom gated house that's about $ 310.00 a month. Ypo can find cheaper places and no trouble finding more expensive too. hope that helps ya somewhat...
Mike

http://www.ddproperty.com/en

You are asking for too much. May I suggest you come for a visit first, without the dog, before you decide on anything long term. Educate yourself young man. Thailand is only for the hard and experienced.

I can't recommend you "moving to Thailand"  prior to three or more months "visiting Thailand."  Except for retirees, Thailand makes it clearly difficult to "just move in" via visa requirements, work permits, and, not its fault really, just adapting to the place.

Your number one problem is the visa.  You can buy an easy one that lasts five years renewable, called Thai Elite card, for 2 million THB with renewal charges too.  Google Thailand Elite.  Otherwise, under age 50, retirement age, you got problems.

Dogs, get some anti-tick meds and a large running space and your dog will love Thailand, tongue out all year and people afraid of him.  Groceries stock wide range of dog food in bags and cans, premium prices.

Rental near the beach...... keep looking, what you want is out there, but there is no listing board outside big cities.  Rent is way cheaper than buying housing.

Big Tex, bring only your size shoes, sox, and your fav underwear.   Buy everything else  from dental floss to name brand condoms right 'cheer in Smilin' Thailan'.

Your plan is not a walk in the park.... take you about a year to nearly get settled and then your visa runs out.