Relocating to Oman, pls advise

I have been working in Saudi Arabia for almost 2 yrs, and now my company is relocating me to Oman. The salary issue is yet to be negotiated. Since I am getting SAR 5.5K here, what should I be asking from my Co. if I am expecting some increase in my current income? Pls also advise about the housing expense (single room for bachelor), food, travel expense (monthly rent-a-car), etc..

Welcome to the forum immi4u :)

I hope members from Oman will share their experiences and advise you accordingly by contributing to your discussion!

Best Regards!

what kind of company?

Thanks Yud, I hope I will have a good time here..
Its a cable company and I am in technical sales n marketing..

i think here the reply will be either you will be increase in the housing allowance or they will provide accomidation for you...i dont think u will have increase in your salary becasue you are working in saudi and then move to oman...

you can find one room here (nice one) with 100 Omani riyals (equal to 1000 saudi riyals)...

for car rent it is 8 omani riyals per day (80 saudi riyals) but i think your comopany will give you the car...

for food you will pay , let say 1.5 omani riyals(15 saudi riyals) for one meal...

you might find less than those prices but base your expectation on worst things..
so i think it is a good idea to discuss with your company to increase the allowance of housing becasue it was cheaper i guess in saudi...
whish you the best

well, I am expecting something around OR 700-800, this will include everything from housing allowance to car rent (except the petrol allowance which will be given on actual invoices). BTW, which car will I get for OR 80 per month for rent? And yes, I will be moving to Muscat, so I think whatever expenses u told must comply with.

and one more thing, how much time/money is required to get Omani driving license?? (And is Saudi license valid in Oman??)

it will take long time and too much money i guess...if you want me to ask i can ask...

do you have saudi license?

if you have then u can drive with that license...there is no issue...

i heard you can also change it if you want to..you can change your saudi license to omani license...iam pretty sure you can but i dont know whats the requirements...i heard there is no test or no anything...
but if you have saudi license then its okay i guess...

I have saudi driving license, and even if I have to apply for Omani license, my company will pay the fee. but I need to confirm if the license is valid there, cuz I will have to get the car ASAP..
Anyways, thanks a lot dude for making me aware of Cost of living and other stuff..

Yes sure you can drive with saudi license...

you are welcome..if you have anything dont hesitate ,i can help you...

Since you have been so kind in answering my posts, I have few more things to ask :) hope you won't mind..
1) What about the internet provider (USB/Wireless)?? How much does it cost per month?
2) How's life for bachelors there? Are there any good places for leisure time (pls specify cost if possible)?
3) Is the sultanate very strict like KSA that bachelors aren't even allowed to go to some malls here?
4) How is the weather in different months?
I know I am asking too many questions but actually I will be coming to Oman with none from my company, so want to prepare myself according to the new lifestyle and stuff..

no problem mate...you can ask whatever you want...

1) there are 2 main companies here..one is oman mobile and second is nawras...iam using internet from oman tell company..and they are providing ADSL..iam using that one..and the speed is good with that one...its cost me 35-40 omani riyals with 24 hrs using (i open it for 24 hrs) :) so the price will not exceed 40 riyals whatever you are using if you used ADSL(pwer net called previously)...
i heared there is an offer better than ADSL from oman tel...you can find some good offers from nawras i guess...
2) let people in oman expat answer this quetion haha...well i guess u can go to Gym if you are interested..it will cost you around 30-40 rials per month...or u can go for some offers ..it will be 120 riyals for a year...i did that one time...
you can go to cenima..it will cost you 2.5 riyals...you can go to mall...coffee shop..its standard you will not pay too much...
if you smoke shisha hhahaha you can go for it...so in these things the price i guess same as saudi...

3) no its not restrict like saudi..you will see female driving ...:) dont worry...you can go to mall alone dont worry...but in some universities or some little places, you will see only female sign haha...but no dont worry its completly different than in saudi...
4) the weather most of the time is sunny in muscat..these days the weather is little bit cold in the night...oman is hot most of the time..but these days its cold or you can say its sunny in the morning and little bit cold in the night...

yea iam pretty sure you will like living in oman...
you are welcome anytime....

Mr. Bestcoach, u have been so kind to answer my queries and give me detailed overview of things in Oman. Thanks a bunch for everything dude :)

hi bestcoach how r u. you helped this gentleman.please help me too.I am having an offer frm reputed oman company for ro 865 with all other expenses borne by company.is it good salary.worried more for driving license is it really tough to get one.pl reply

hi bestcoach,
please reply

hi,
can any one help me?????
i have recently join new contracting comp in OMAN i Have 2+year experience From mumbai in construction field, but the comp. pay me only 300 RO per month and the rest thing provided by compony, is this fine sallary.?

hi salunkhey, have you landed to oman?how is this country.

Hi,
I am new in Oman, working at the Musandam province,
my previous employeement was in saudi arabia and having saudi driving licence valued up to 2020,iuused 2010,
I have had approched ROP for convert my saudi DL to Oman DL, but ROP denied , and informed that saudi licence is not converting to omani DL since last month, it is on hold.

I have valued indian DL too.

how i can have Omani licence?

when they lift the ban on saudi licence?

what is the procedure for Oman DL, is there any procedure is there to convert saudi DL to Omani DL ??

please help