Are the English a friendly lot

Are the British a friendly lot, and could you rely on them

British in general, or just those Brits here in Brazil???

If you're talking about just those here in Brazil, yes they are but you'll probably have a hard time finding them... pretty big country and those that are here are spread all over the place.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

the Brits here

Never had a problem with any of the Brits that I've met here in my 14 years in Brazil. They're fun to be with, sure know how to party... only problem I have is not always understanding some of the dry British humor. Some things are universally funny, but others that give them cause for knee-slapping and belly laughs I just don't get, but that's because I'm a "Canuck" and our humor is different.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

The Brits are generally pretty solid , although the young ones can tend to think a foreign country is their person personal party fiefdom....although I saw that more in Asia, I guess Brazil is two expensive and far for those type of Ibzia lads holiday brits in General.
Usually they are friendly and helpful

I think, that the reason, "more" Brits don't come to brazil for holidays, is more due to distance, and not the cost, believe me the Brits don't really care! much about money,
if there was a places like Ibiza here in brazil, they would be here in the 1000's

The younger ones do.....The young Brits have been some of the cheapest travelers I've met.
One young girl wouldn't even pay the 1 pounds or so to get into theMummy room at Egyptian Museum a few years back and instead spent the whole time sulking....the British girls can be awful actually.

I was factoring distance into cost as it costs more to get here.....Believe me Thailand and Asia is far away , but full of drunken Brits because it's cheap....
The only thing British have in their favour is the Strength of the Pound which makes them royalty pretty much anywhere they choose to Roam...

and British women as well

The only Brits I've come across here in Brazil was a married couple from London on Ilha Grande. They happened to be on the same boat with me and my husband, and they were very warm and talkative -  we even ended up having dinner with them that night.   They love Brazil and come here often to vacation.

Truthfully, I was a bit surprised at how friendly these Brits were. Back in 2002, I went to London for a week for business, and at the time, I'd thought that it was one of the most "unfriendly" cities I had encountered in my life. I told myself, "I won't go back to London unless I have to..." Americans always complain about Paris and how the French are rude, but I've never felt unwelcome in Paris; the same goes for New Yorkers - despite the stereotype, I've never had a problem with rude New Yorkers. However, in my opinion, Londoners were just plain cold. This is also interesting because in all my travels, I've met and hung out with a lot of Brits, and most of them were very friendly and funny.  Maybe they weren't from London? Or maybe I should give London another shot? Hmm...

I have to say all the expats I know /knew in Fortaleza from any nationalities are polite but quite distant (and I am like that too). All expats like all Brazilians from middle-high-class are very carefull about people they meet. Outsiders are observed/analysed and it takes some time to be part of the group of "nice" people. Security issue is certainly one of the reason for this behaviour.

Most people that live in London, spend all there time worry, about "earing" there money just to live there, and tend not to talk to anyone, so yes cold and distant, and wont say Good morning
but the ones that brake out of the rut, are very different,

I think the London thing is just part of the Megacity Mentality.....São Paulo is Similar , ride the metro in São Paulo at 7:30 am and it's pretty much the same story , people can be rude , shoving , irritated.
In fact I found São very Similar to London , obviously is has it's own Brazilian quirks...

before I came back the Brazil, I was working in London for 14 mouths, traveling by train and buses, and, fill if I had not come back to brazil, then I would be dead,
I found a lot of men to be rude, and iam not just talking about the English,
I got into some pretty hairy situations, dealing with the rude people,
I can not and will not stand by and watch, I get involved

The one thing I as a South african detest about the UK are their immigration laws....
People complain about Brazil , but the UK is ridiculous , ever since countries like Poland joined the EU , the UK has been looking to cut immigration from all the other so called 'Common Wealth " Nations --(more like the "Plundered by the UK nations")
Now if you are non EU you have to be making the Equivalent of $50 000 us Dollars per year or get deported.
Some might say fine , send them back and keep the Uk British , without understanding how many nurses and health care workers from India and South Africa are in the UK earning far less than this . Workers which the UK desperately needs.
It's ridiculous foreign policy from David Cameron and I personally won't set foot in the UK again with things the way they are....this salary minimum is just one of many such ridiculous regulations to close the doors of the UK. Check out this article below
http://traveller24.news24.com/TravelPla … 0-20160121

yes I know what you mean,

Generally, yes and yes. We are a reserved bunch until we get to know you but if we say we will do something, we do it. If you say hello to me while I am walking around I might not say hello back instantly because I'll be trying to remember your name and where I know you from, so you might just get a polite smile. I'm from East Anglia but always find London alright on the friendliness level - if I've been lost someone has always helped out but as mentioned above, it is a huge city and I've found the ones I have been to are quite similar in their mentality. As a rule the further north you get in England the friendlier it gets. The new immigration criteria, as well as quite a few other things introduced by the current Conservative government, is ridiculous and I am hoping things change after the next election.

Im English and Id like to think we're are pretty friendly and helpful plus we have our crazy sense of humour kkk.   Regarding London....there are hardly any English people in London!  its a shame as its a beautiful city full of amazing things to see and do but its so ridiculously expensive to live there so its full of mega rich Arabs and Russians and of course a zillion tourists.    Last time I was in London (7 months ago) I was asking for directions and I asked 9 people before I found someone who spoke English....  he was pretty grumpy though I have to say haha.

that might of been me you were asking the way LOL

Haha maybe...  It's quite funny really.
I had a Brazilian friend come to the uk for 10 days last year & before she came she was so worried about racism, her English, grumpy English people & a few other things.  I told her she spoke better English than many people in London & after spending 3 days in London she believed me.    We went to the isle of white, Wiltshire where I live and also bath & Bristol and she loved it despite the cold & rain... She now loves the eccentric English so much she wants to come live here .... I've told her I'm happy to swap 😁

I'm English and living in Rio . Think you must have met the wrong ones I love a good pxx take. In fact that's all I do miss about the uk.

I'm English, and I can take the pxx if you like

Where are you.  In rio?

Iguaba Grande, why's that, are you coming round LOL
that would definitely be taking the piss LOL

No no Victoria, you're not wrong. Londoners are usually very cold, and many rude to a great extent. I lived and worked there for 3.5 years and I can fully sympathise with your views about them. In fact, I'd go even further to say that the English in general would be very cold towards people of other backgrounds. Very resistant in opening up and reluctant to make a bond in many ways. There is a saying there that goes as far as saying that they stick to their school friends and postcodes.  Outside of these two you won't get much friendliness as you would in other countries, not to mention the discrimination towards foreigners which increases day by day with the media talking about 24/7. Of course many on documented immigrants bring a lot to problems to the country, the pressure on the public service they put on is tremendous, but many immigrants pay taxes too, but as they say ignorance is oblivious, many decide to portray the whole group as being the lazy unskilled type who depends on the government for living. But obviously, as to every rule there is always going to be an exception, but in general they are not friendly. They would pretend to be friendly when travelling , always applying that famous politeness portrayed on tv, but that's definitely not the case in real life. Trying going there and living there, one will realise that they are not as they seem to be.

Hi there,
London is a small part of the UK, and you need to live outside the large city's for really find out what the British are really like, don't for get not meany British live in the city's
A lot of British hay died helping out other country's with there problems
being British, means that most people there are made up of different nationality over the century's

At the Cristo in Rio I was speaking to some late middle aged English tourists,and I helped them with some info , they were ok .
The one guy ended up selling me their 4 tickets for R$50-00 for the lot as the lines were way to long for them ....

They were ok in my book

so your a ticket tout then LOL
a shark in brazil

Well I bought the tickets from him ....touts generally sell the tickets....buying he tickets prevented us from standing in the que as he had enough cash to buy his at the bottom of the mountain while our group only had bank cards and had to que on top.....plus it saved about over R$100 as the tickets are R$50 each.

touts buy and sell LOL