1 hr in Quito attempted pickpocket,

My wife and I just arrived 1 hr, we were riding the Trolley bus,  2 pm. We were standing. It was not jammed full but no seats.
A man and woman got on but pretended not to be together. Woman, overweight 40's, got on cell phone and slowly worked her way between my wife and I.
The guy same age, tall and well dressed with shoulder bag worked way to me an pressed lightly against me. His hand moved from outside the bag to inside the straps and reached down to my shorts side pocket.
I saw him and pushed him away (I am a pretty big guy). He spoke to me though angry, no idea what he said but i was angry also so I put my hand into his trouser pocket to show him I knew what was going on. Immediately both he and the woman rushed to the door as the bus was just feet away from stopping at a station and they got off.

I was pickpocketed in Thailand only 3 months ago on the airport train so I am hyper sensitive.

This time had he got into the pocket then the laugh would have been on him.
Nothing was in any of my pockets but a thick wads of folded toilet paper.

Definitely NOT impressed by Quito. We are in the historic area, beautiful but for the graffiti everywhere. Why does the government have pride in the area and clean it up?

les64 wrote:

His hand moved from outside the bag to inside the straps and reached down to my shorts side pocket.
I saw him and pushed him away (I am a pretty big guy). He spoke to me though angry, no idea what he said but i was angry also so I put my hand into his trouser pocket to show him I knew what was going on. Immediately both he and the woman rushed to the door as the bus was just feet away from stopping at a station and they got off.

I was pickpocketed in Thailand only 3 months ago on the airport train so I am hyper sensitive.

What happened in Thailand is not a good enough excuse.  Your sticking a hand down a stranger's pants pocket is not a rational response.

You don't know if he's on drugs and could get crazy violent.  Or he could simply pull a knife on you.  He was apparently a criminal and your move could have escalated things out of control.  He was already angered by your shoving him.

Men do not wear shorts in Quito unless they're at a hotel swimming pool.  Wearing such may have caused unwanted attention.

You got off lucky.

cccmedia in Quito

About a year ago, I was pickpocketed twice within five weeks in Quito at the busy Galo Plaza transfer-stop on the Ecovía bus line.  Once while getting on a bus and once while getting off.

Each time, the thief ripped me off at belt-level -- a cellphone and a pair of sunglasses.

Since then I've stopped carrying bills larger than $5 in my pants pockets.  Bigger bills and my ID (a copy) and a debit card if I'm carrying one are kept in my shirt pocket.

I don't wear T-shirts.  Every shirt I wear has a pocket, which is easier to protect in crowded places and buses than pants pockets.  Often I have a rubber band to hold the money and card(s) together.

I also did away with the zippered belt-pack from which my inexpensive cellphone was taken.  I don't even carry my cellphone around town unless I expect to use it for a specific purpose.

I still hook my sunglasses over my belt sometimes, because it's convenient and I know I can replace a stolen pair for a few dollars.  I usually remember to remove them from the belt if I'm getting on a bus.

cccmedia in Quito