Work permit - How long does it take?

Hi Everyone!
I'm a newbie here from Canada looking to move to CT. I have a job lined up (I'm very lucky, I know) and they are going to assist me with the visa but I'm wondering how long I should expect it to take?
The SA embassy site says 4 weeks but I've heard it usually takes about 10-12 weeks if you go through a lawyer.
Your experiences with this would really help. I'm hoping to get it all sorted by the end of March. Is that a reasonable time frame?
Thanks in Advance :)

Welcome to the forum Yaelie :)

I hope members from Cape Town will share their experiences and advise you accordingly by contributing to your discussion!

Best Regards!

Well, if they don't lose the paperwork it can be done in one week from when you put in the documents at your consular - that's the time I had to wait in Belgium to get it done. Preparation takes a bit longer, I had to use a sworn translator to get everything translated in english (may not be a problem for you). Then there's the medical statements and so forth which you'll need to get at your hospital or doctor.

I waited for a year on the outcome of my first application though, to hear that they have no idea what's going on and I'll have to do it all over again. I guess you need a bit of luck but it can be done quite fast.

I did not use a lawyer but it helps a lot if you have a company backing you up and if they call the consular a few times to see whats happening with your file.