It's "rip off" time in Vietnam..... Yes it's TET

My friend told me she couldn't get a visa extension because it's too close to TET....Had to go to Cambodia to pay $250 for three months.... I verified it and wished her well....
I wish Vietnam would just embrace the New Year instead of using it as an excuse to raise prices and blatantly rip off everyone for everything.....  10 days of gouging and closures.

Sounds like Christmas in England.

Because Tet is best time to go vacation so everyone, include Vietnamese will like to go vacation. Yesterday I have saw on the news, the prices for tours have rising very high, even Vietnamese people have same situations like your friend!

to be fair its rip-off season in nam, 24 7 365

Yes, things  cost a lot more over the Tet period but it applies to everyone, not just ex pats. Even my VN wife complains about it. However, thats the way it is and there,s nothing to be done about it.

Not unlike Las Vegas, whenever there is a holiday, or major Convention or sports events in town. Hotel room prices (and everything else) increase by 50%...

It's simple supply and demand. During Tết the supply of companies (including government entities or those dealing with them) providing goods and/or services decreases; while simultaneously, the demand increases.

Many, many people are off of work for Tết so they are free to spend when they usually would be working. Companies,  therefor close thus enabling the few remaining companies to charge more. Furthermore, the companies which are open during Tết have fewer available employees which further increases the price.

In short, price increases and hotel shortages are the norm. Any experienced expat, traveller, backpacker, or similarily yoked personage should know this.

tsshapiro wrote:

Many, many people are off of work for Tết so they are free to spend when they usually would be working. Companies,  therefor close thus enabling the few remaining companies to charge more. Furthermore, the companies which are open during Tết have fewer available employees which further increases the price.

Strangely enough, the overall national productivity level (ONPL) actually sees a significant increase during Tet, when you'd expect the exact opposite.  The only reason that it isn't declared a perpetual holiday is the fact that doing so would
put a severe strain on national banh chung, gio cha and kumquat reserves.

It's also the only time of year that the banks are assured to have their weekly transactions tallied correctly, with $0 coming in and $0 going out across the board.

Teacher Mark wrote:

It's also the only time of year that the banks are assured to have their weekly transactions tallied correctly, with $0 coming in and $0 going out across the board.

Ha! Just like a broken clock.

I agree with what you have experienced.

I wish you become so wealthy to the extend that $USD250 is ... nothing to talk about.
And yes, I do wish the same for myself.

Even in the States (USA) Holidays were a 'rip off'.  I learned decades ago to shop at least a couple months ahead...It used to be weeks prior to Thanksgiving all my holiday shopping was complete. 
Since living in Vietnam...I never worry about 'holidays'...I don't participate in the activities or crowds and do a lot more walking instead of driving a motorbike.  Stocked up on almost everything over two weeks ago.  Planning makes for a non-rip off period.
Previously, I would leave Vietnam during the TET period and made travel arrangements months in advance...rather inexpensive with prior thinking.  I also made my visa trips to tour areas outside of Vietnam where at that time it only cost about $45.00 for a 3 month Visa..and as little as $35 to $50 for a five and a half mo. Visa.
I've also had TRC's which were great.
Have a Happy...

This is my first Tet in country. I'm in Vung Tau. Ran out of food yesterday. Nothing open except a few small mom and pops. Hungry. Rode bicycle searching for anywhere to buy some eggs and ramen noodles. Found a little mom and pop. Instead of being happy about new year, she is happy to cheat people. 12,000 Vd for each egg. Great times.