Tips on moving back to KL

Hi there,

I've been living in London for aprox 7 years now and will be moving back to KL within the next couple of months. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations/experiences with any door-to-door international removals company in the UK that they've used to ship their belongings to KL? I once used a UK based Malaysian owned company called PAL (shippingtomalaysia) a few years ago to ship 8 large boxes which on cost me £240-£300 and had all my items delivered hassle free and without damage. But having recently googled the company again, the company website does not seem to have been updated and many complaints were fairly recently left on their FB page.

Would be great to hear about your experiences and recommendations! Thanks

Hi well welcome back first!

Over the years i have known many returning Malaysians and a friends wife who went back to south korea.

The biggest issues are reverse culture shock (far worse than culture shock) and work issues.

Work is a major problem as you many i know have suffered badly. You are no longer a real Malaysian! You will act like a foreigner but not given the benefit of doubt of one. You will be pushy, hard headed and demanding. You wont "bow" to the well connected "village idiot" boss you are bound to get.

Some cope better than others eg work in western company. A few I have known went back to UK as they couldnt stand it! The south korean friend lasted 3 months in south korea as they have more face than here. And she lost the ability to respect stupidity just because someone was connected.

One I know eneded up getting death threats from colleaugues as too pushy!! A few got divorced. Happens.

Most malaysians I know who are happy here who worked abroad run their own business.

Reverse culture shock is due to thinking you should fit in to the culture but you will have changed. It is far harder to combat than culture shock.

Being forewarned helps that is why i raise it. Especially work.

In uk staff are generally respected. In malaysia in SMEs staff are often slaves. Used to fetch kids from school or do laundery runs. Sexual harassment is sadly common. I have lost count of the complaints of "no sex no promotion" being touched at work etc. Happens in west but you can complain.

The worst generally though is that rascism , corruption and employing any connected idiot as your boss does grind people down after long time in the west. Yes idiots get promoted in the west. But at least it is at random lol and far less frequent. That is why talented malaysians start own businesses. Cant blame them! Or work for a western company that still has to employ idiot sons of connected people but at least they hide them away :) like many oil and gas companies do!

So how tou find it does revolve around work a lot.