Greencard application

Hi all,

I am a Sri Lankan married to an American soldier and I plan to apply for greencard this week.
We have hired a lawyer for the same purpose.  I was just wondering if I can get information on how long it has taken to others like me.
If anyone can give me some useful tips and share their experiences it would be great!
I really hate being separated from my husband. I want to start my life with him in the USA .

Thank you!

Hello Sri,

It took normally 7 to 9 months. When the process start you need to stay in the US until you receive your  first convocation by the immigration service, after the first interview you will receive your Green Card by mail, then you have 2 years in conditional (just to be sure you're here for the right reason) and after 2 years interview again to  get  your final Green card.  If you loose your Green card it cost $500 to get a new one...
But good think to have hired an Attorney, easier...
Have a nice evening.

Lise

Hi Lise,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I appreciate it.
Hope you have a lovely week!

My pleasure and let me know if you have more questions...I will help you if I can !

Have a great week too.

Lise

There is a different process for people living abroad than people who are the spouse of a US Citizen that currently resides in the USA......As Tahiti mentioned...get an attorney if neither you or your husband can get your heads around the process.