Collector Coins, America Eagles, Canada Maple Leafs, Chinese Pandas

Hello my Fellow expats, I would like to know if anyone has had experience with bringing Numismatic coins such as American Eagles, Canadian Maple Leafs and Chinese Pandas etc. to Brazil as I have a few and they are classified as collectors coins, the coins have face value associated  with real currency as in the $1 and up to $5 and how would one declare the coins as the are legal tender the coins are minted by each respected country as official money. There is also weight of the coin yet the question is the declared face value of the coins. I hope the question is not to confusing.
thanks all replys appreciated.
Some coins are Commerative as well, the coins are also weighted in ounces of gold or silver

Hi Alascana,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but your question is far outside my personal sphere of experience. I was hoping that perhaps one of our members might be able to give you a bit of information.

Next time that I'm near the Receita Federal I'll pop in and see if I can get an answer for you about bringing in collector coins. Regarding currency, you are allowed to bring in amounts up to R$10 thousand. You should however report any amount at Customs on arrival just to be on the safe side. Over R$10 thousand in cash you can be sure you're going to be spending quite some time filling out lots of bureaucratic forms.  ;)

I strongly suspect that if the coins are of precious metals such as gold and silver that you're going to be looking at their value by weight regardless of the face value of the coin.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

From what I know, You can technically bring those coins into Brazil. You may, however, be required to prove that you own them with a bill of sale. If you are unable to do this then your coins may be confiscated, either leaving your place or origin or upon arriving in Brazil. You are also recommended to let security agents know that you are carrying gold. That would make me super nervous to have to tell a TSA agent let alone security personnel and a Brazilian airport! Not to mention just because the amount on the coin says $50, the authorities in either country may decide that they will go by the value of the actual gold, which is over $1000 for a 1oz coin marked $50. Considering 10000 BRL is now only $2500 USD, that's not many coins to bring. If it were me, I would leave my coins in a safe deposit box at home before I tried to deal with bringing a large amount of gold and silver coins into this country, and if I were moving here then I would just sell the coins at home and buy new ones once I got here if you still want them. Also, I don't know your business or anything so I have no idea why you are bringing these coins, but I will mention that in my experience, it would be hard to ever sell a .999 pure gold coin here as most gold buyers are looking for 18k gold to melt down. I have tried to sell some US buffalo's here and no one even wanted them! It was really hard for me to understand at first because in the US and most other countries gold is treated almost as currency. Not here. I sent my coins back with a family member the last time they came to visit because the gold was practically worthless here. Also, I am not advocating doing this, but, when I brought my gold here I just threw a few gold coins in with my mixed change in my carry on and found that to be easy.