GPS use in Belize

I will be in Belize January 24th and renting a car for the week. Was wondering if a GARMAN GPS will work in Belize to help me get around?

Pam from Missouri

Not a specific answer to your question, but Google maps on my phone gave me directions to where I stayed in Belize City. Garmin you may have to download C.A.?

I wouldn't depend on a Garmin GPS. You can get a good map of Belize off Amazon for cheap. Google maps does a pretty good job overall, but road signage in Belize is lacking in general, which doesn't help. The best alternative sometimes is to stop and ask somebody.

I have had Belizean give me the wrong directions versus saying the don't know.

I use a garmin and it will only really get you to the major towns, cities. even with the cenrut new update.

Didn't have  problems with my GPS. Had my own WiFi, though. Come prepared, things will work  out.

When we went last year we planned to rent a car and talked to Garmin since they don't list Belize. They were no help, have not mapped it. I should have had my own wifi - could have used my phone

We've rented a couple if times and they are very helpful. Will give you a large map and help with your specific directions.

Just got back from Belize yesterday...used google maps on my iPhone!

Crystal car rentals now seem to offer a GPS as an add on to their rentals about $9 a day US. according t their web site. Doesn't say if it is Garmin or another company.

Can you kindly tell me what you see missing so that it may be added to the Cenrut GPS maps?

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not share contact infos on the forum
LizKendrick wrote:

When we went last year we planned to rent a car and talked to Garmin since they don't list Belize. They were no help, have not mapped it. I should have had my own wifi - could have used my phone

The Garmin website actually has a link to third party maps. I bought and down loaded Belize from it last year, was about $30.  Does not have a lot of POIs, but other than that it works well. I have driven many places all over Belize using it.

The only problems were minor,  look out for it occasionally directing you onto a really poor road when trying go the shortest route. The first time I went from BZE to Corozal, it directed me onto a side road that turned out to be through sugarcane fields for several miles, vs staying on the highway. We made it, but it was an adventure. Now I know better ;)