Big move from NYC to Malaysia!!!

My name i Aisha, we're relocating to Malaysia from NYC in couple of weeks. I am not sure what is the name of the city, but I know for sure its near Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport, and the name is Saujana resort.

Anyways I would appreciate any information:

1. what to bring from USA, Something I might miss or might not find in Malaysia.

2. would like to meet new friends

3. get more info on child care

4. get insiders info on the life in Malaysia

Any input would be appreciated.

I'll meet you there, I,ll arrive shortly.

1. Twinkies or any chocolate as sucks in malaysia
2. The site i cant mention has lots of expats. I went to am american event last saturday
3. Get a maid fulltime is easier but depends on age
4 . As you an an "asian american" locals will often assume you are malaysian. Then you open your mouth and they stare with disbelief. Then not understand you as nyc accents are weird alien noises to a malaysian lol

I did a lot of "translating" for a new york lady once. No one here understood her apart from at work !

And of course american ways especially nyc culture is considered pushy and rude here so be careful! Smile dont expect things to happen quickly and be patient.

Good luck

Thanks for advices, yes I will be bringing some chocolate with me, the ones I like, but I guess I can live without it considering that I can replace it with fruits.

Yes I get that all over Asia, being an Asian it should be normal. I am ready for that.

I will actually look for babysitter/housemaid once I come there, I have a toddler boy, so any kind of help will be needed.

Thanks once again, I was wondering what in sense of clothes I should bring, that I can't find there???

Thanks you guys for comments, appreciate it.

Sounds like you're in Shah Alam or PJ, both close to all the KL shopping.

By all means go to expat type events, but I strongly suggest you try to meet locals and get used to the finer points of social life.

As for clothes, it's hot, very hot, so lots of lightweight stuff is in order.  Most local Muslims wear long sleeved tops with full length trousers or a long skirt with head scarf, non Muslims are pretty much free to wear anything they like, but slightly conservative is normal.

Watch this - it'll give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNSgpOfoPO4

Shopping is big and as modern as any western city, better than a lot of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpiLsKNYTpA

The range of foods available makes most western cities look like a small cafe.
Take your pick from top quality restaurants of many varieties, through McD and KFC, right to street food,

The latter can be amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf0aDiBR0WU

The first time you see Jalan Alor, you'll wonder how people survive eating the food.
When you finally get the nerve to try it, you'll realise why the rats love it so much.
(You'll understand that when you see it in real life)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4epfm345uY

KL has an excellent light rial system that reaches as far as PJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGV39NGwemo

Taxis are reasonable, but make sure they use the meter or you'll get ripped off. They tend to take the tourist route, so use the GPS on your phone and make sure the driver knows you have it.
The local buses are commonly not that great, but most are roughly safe..ish.

pj or subang should be ok

Thank you guys for all the posts, finally made it to Malaysia, as it seems to Shah Alam but very close to Petaling Jaya (hope I spelled both right).

Got my cell connected now waiting on
My wifi and tv services.

Right now I am stil jet lag, but already trying to find a descent school for my 3 year old, in the neighborhood! Any suggestions, and of course nanny/maid.

The first thing is a day's rest, then wander around the area finding convenience stores for basic stuff.

When you have a moment, click HERE

Hi Aishula, its been 10 days, hows the arrival so far?

Shah Alam is a little out of town and the Saujana Resort area is quite nice but a bit isolated. They have the KL Japanese School there and the Canon Service centre so I use to go there quite often. Right next to the Canon Service Centre are a couple of not bad local food places, very cheap too. The nearest malls are just about 5 minutes drive away on the main road.

Probably you already know that you can buy pretty much everything in Malaysia. Have a great stay there.

Thanks Fred for info on the schools, seems like we are to little young for school so starting a day care, hopefully soon.

Yes I agree it's a little isolated, but when you have a car all good. So far by now I seem to know local places and restaurants. But still don't know where I can buy plants for house and flowers. What is the closest bazar/ wet market, something I might find interesting.

But settling all good, even started sightseeing little by little.

have a philipina who would be interested to become baby sitter

Can you give me her contact or can she contact me, so we can see if we are the right fit

Just be careful of people pretending to be an Agent when you hire a babysitter or a maid.   
They usually ask for a fee and do not pay .  Make sure you ask for a Valid agent license .
You have to be carefully as most of them do not possess a visa\permit  and you can be caught for hiring people without it.

Thank you very much for the info, yes I know I have to hire someone with Malay IC. I think that's how it's called.

datinsri wrote:

Just be careful of people pretending to be an Agent when you hire a babysitter or a maid.   .

....Or engage in any other transaction.
Malaysia is full of agents that will sort out any service for you, but most are just opportunists, becoming an instant agent for whatever they know you want.
You can't blame them for trying to make a little cash, but a good number will try to inflate the price to whatever they think they can rip you off for.

Another warning, this time about a conversation.

Stranger - Where are you from?
You - America
Stranger - my daughter is going to study in America, and can you help her when she gets there
You - a polite answer
Stranger - By the way, do you like to play cards and my grandmother is in hospital so please give me a load of cash

The last part takes then a few extra bits of conversation, but it always comes to that.
I found the best way is to either just wish the daughter good luck and end the conversation, or lie about the country, then explain you thought they meant the last country you visited, not your home country.
That naffs up the scam, so they take a walk.

Hi scams are always obvious really. Happen everywhere in the world.

Shah Alam is really "Malay city" and is not the most exciting place for an expat but of course there is work there. Like Milton Keynes in uk or Ohio in USA best way to put it.

I agree it's a little suburban, but I like it here I still need to explore and see lots of places. And besid we always can jump in a car and drive to the city.

You could contact me on relocation services.

@nashynash

If you have a moving company that you can recommend please post the details in the business directory : https://www.expat.com/en/business/asia/malaysia/

There goes the warning about agents.
Everybody and their grandmother is an agent if there's a bit of cash in it.

As for exploring - Stick to daylight hours until you get to know the safe and not so safe places.
The vast majority of Malaysia is safe, even at night, but a few areas can be dodgy (Usually the red light districts).

I would not recommend Shah Alam. Even clothing shops have different selection, but if you want a lonely isolated life...go for it

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : advertising your services on the forum is not allowed, please register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

i am looking for a job .good cooking skills.communication interpersonal skills.malaysian age 54.

hi usha from melaka.u have kids how old are.they.cz am good in childcare.cooking in various cuisines.u can call me .was teaching in Montessori before.receptionist.in hotel.kids grownup working in k.l

Well we live here because of the airport and my husbands job, I do agree that it's a bit isolated, but I am getting used to it, trying to figure out the ways and see what we can do. Hopefully next year we will find somethings or move some other place more entertaining.

I was supposed to rent a six bedroom house in melaka but communication broke down (laptop sytem crashed so that i had to buy a new one in a rush) so i just hopped on a plane and ended somewhere else other than planned ...but they were too heavy to bring so that the large luggage bag zipper broke that i just bought ( i just swapped it for a clamp one) and that was two high rise coleman beds and two out and about sofa couches (one of each that i had used already i left in my one bedroom that costed the same as that six bedroom in melaka for my old neighbour that was moving in). These were sealed but i decided too heavy to take with and i thought i could just buy more in malaysia but such i could not find and they are much much cheaper than ordinary beds float in the pool or by the yacht club and if you want to add natural fibres just throw such over it  and know one cares it is made of plastic ...it is more comfortable and if it gets unclean you just throw it away and buy new (it is cheap enough to)