KITAB - Question on Guide of How to Do it

I have been wondering on the process of doing KITAB. Perhaps the forum goers here has more wider expertise and gone through it before. And in the long term, benefits the knowledge base of the site.
Kitab is the permanent resident visa for the right to live in Indonesia for 5 years. While Kitas is for the temporary term for 1 year.

The Facts:
- Work Permit not needed (If those who need it, it is just an additional step/cost similar to Kitas)
- Spousal Indonesian sponsor
- satisfied at least the minimum 2 years of KITAS, ongoing cumulative and extending.
- Applying  assume at Jakarta Pusat Immigration.

The Questions:
- How much is the 'real' cost if doing it by yourself.
- Or is it too much of a headache and not worth it?
I have very wide differential gaps in price quotes - some bordering on a rip-off.
Any referrals reputable agent or professional. Please kindly PM or list contacts.
- The normal agent price for Kitab and Kitas extension.
- The procedures or process.
- How much time needed usually.

Many thanks in advance.

Looking for an agency referral, it would help to know where in Indonesia you live.

mentioned before it is Jakarta Pusat Immigration.

I can't help you regarding good agents in Jakarta, but surely others will be able.

I did this myself with almost no problem.
In fact, I was one of the first KITAP holders in Indonesia under UU6/11.
A few forms and the usual supporting documents and you're there in a few weeks.
The only slight problem was the letter of residence from my local RT, but that was only because he went on holiday.

Assuming you're eligible, you can do it without an agent.
No point spending when you don't need to.

The need for a work permit is grey.
Some say you do have to have one for anything other than working in a spouse's company or casual work, others say you don't.
The immigration law is clear - you don't. (UU 6/11 Pasal 61)
The people who issue work permits disagree.

As far as I'm aware, there have been no cases where spouse sponsored KITAP holders have got into trouble for working without a permit (But I don't hear everything).

Fred, doing this (KITAP) on "your own" it might be helpful to say how much it cost.

It was about 3 million, but that was a while ago.
I'll check out today's price when I get a moment.

Perhaps more recently, I've heard prices for doing this on one's own to range 3 to 5 million.  Via an agent, I've heard around 10 million as the norm.

If we can agree that these are reasonable estimates, or "guesstimates" then at least that can serve as a general guide for those thinking of going the KITAP route, i.e. the cost of doing it by one's self should be about one half of using an agent.

To that end, I guess it all boils down to how one values their time.

Thank you Fred and Ubudian for the inputs.

It doesnt have to be Jakarta only. It could be anywhere in your experience for Indonesia is fine.

I have been quoted 20 million. That is why I said it is a ripoff.
I have heard the real costs is also between the figures you mentioned, with & without an agent.

Any agent worth recommending in Jakarta? Please kindly info.

Fred, how long the process is. And how many visits/how many places visits. Would you do it again, in hindsight?

Thanks.

The whole process was less than a month.
I paid a guy to do all the running about delivering documents for, but no agent was involved in the actual process. That was an immigration officer doing a little bit of moonlighting, but not a bribe.
As for worth it, absolutely.
Apart from the cost being cheaper than 5 KITAS applications, you only have to mess about once every five years, not once a year.
This is personal, not reality for all, but I also found a satisfaction in having the KITAP as I felt more like I was committing to Indonesia, and accepted by Indonesia.
Yep, maybe that's silly, but that's how it felt.

Thanks for the insights Fred. You are not silly at all. Having 5 years is a good thing always and removing the yearly hassle. Plus you feel and think like a local - with better insights of both worlds.

The courier guy was the immigration officer? Or another person.

I am about to do the same then and try out. I wonder if a normal guy can be the courier as well.

It was an immigration officer I got talking to.
I can't remember how much he asked for, but it wasn't much so I went with it.
I wasn't all that familiar with the area back then, so it saved me a load of hassle hunting for offices in places I didn't know.

Ok noted and thanks.

If anyone can offer more insights into the current price locally. Processes.
And agents/person referral would be great too.

My experience so far with Kitas only.

I will be applying for my KITAB this year after I've received my renewed passport from the Embassy. My KITAS cost me Rp. 8.000.000 through a 'friend' in the immigration office in Palembang, with of course a flight to Malaysia. I'm told by my spouse that my KITAB won't cost me more than Rp. 3.000.000 through the same person. I will contact our friend to see if he will take you but pm me in the meantime.