Surrender British passport and obtain Irish passport for EU permit?

Hello All,

I am a British national living in UK. I was born here. Both my parents were born in Ireland and I am therefore entitled to an Irish passport.
My husband is Albanian and living now in Albania after being caught here (UK) illegally.
We since married in Albania and are in the process of applying for a spouse visa.
However I heard that if I was to surrender my British passport and obtain an Irish passport he could be entitled to apply for an EU permit.
The EU rules are much easier and more relaxed, as in our case my husband has a criminal conviction in the UK which is enough reason to refuse entry clearance for a spouse visa.
(He was sentenced to 8 months prison for possession of an illegal/fake document/ID card)

Does anyone know more about this option?
Is it possible?

Please advise.
Thanks

Of course, make plays yout Irish passport!!! But, it's possible than the Irish Embassy discovers the sentence of your fiancé...

I don't believe you're likely to be right.
Ireland is very likely to take a dim view of false ID cards and a history of immigration offences.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Fr … 0questions

Criminal record

Q.12  I have a criminal record. May I apply for a visa?
Yes. Full details of your criminal record must be provided with your application.
However, please note that a history of serious crimes, serious breaches of immigration law or presentation of false documentation or making of false statements in support of an application can, of themselves, be reasons for refusal of a visa for which an appeal may not be allowed. This is the norm in many countries.

Hi,

It is indeed easier to bring your spouse here if you are a EU citizen, than if you are a UK citizen. You don't need to give up your British citizenship, you only get Irish as a second citizenship and then apply as a EU citizen. I have friends that have three citizenships, and they use whichever one gives them most rights when dealing with governments officials.

However, this will only help avoid the minimum income requirement - if you are a UK citizen you need to have an income of at least £18,600 in order to bring your spouse here (and extra for any children or other dependants). If you are applying as a EU citizen (even if you do actually have UK citizenship as well), that requirement does not apply.
Your husband will still need to fulfil the 'good character' requirement, and I am afraid that a criminal conviction in the UK will still bar him from obtaining a visa.
The only way around it, as far as I know, is for you to move to Ireland; then he will be able to receive an Irish visa, and eventually Irish citizenship (after a few years). After that, he will be able to join you in the UK as a EU citizen in his own right.