Cultural Issue of lack of trust in others in Ecuador

When I first arrived in Ecuador in 1980 there were lots of things I found exciting about the country. The culture was so different than where I was from in the states and I was soon to find many of those things while new and different, would soon frustrate me. I soon learned by observation and experience in how generally speaking Ecuador's culture is one of trusting others or entities. I had an early acquaintance in Ecuador who later became a good friend tell me from the onset - "DON'T TRUST ANYONE" here. And over 35 years of studying and observing the country I would opine that Ecuadorians have a low threshold of mistrust among others. Friendships or deep friendships are often something that takes a very long time to develop and are often insular in terms of family and those who one may have grown up with.

The trust factor in interpersonal relationships is a fascinating topic of Ecuadorian culture. According to the World Values Survey Ecuador ranks sixth in out of sixty studied. This article and study I believe will help many expats have a deeper understanding of Ecuador's culture and that of many parts of Latin America.

http://latinamericacurrentevents.com/ec … ers/35369/

message deleted

The OP, Crowdpub, inadvertently double-posted this thread and did not know how to rectify.

The correct method is to click on the post's Report button if Edit is no longer available.  That will open a window to request deletion by the Home Office.

The duplicated thread has now been cleared.

cccmedia in Quito

message deleted

Trust, like respect, is something that must be earned.  We have an HOA admin who has not kept a single promise in 3 years.  I have stopped paying HOA fees until he produces the accounting he has promised for 3 years.  He complained that I did not know where I was and should respect him. I told him I knew exactly where I was and I would respect him once he started being honest and actually followed through on his promises.

That was two weeks ago. He promised I would have the accounting the next day. I hired a translator to be there, but he did not show up. He promised it the following Monday. I hired a translator to be there again, and again he did not show up. He said it would be on my door the next day. That was a week ago, and still nothing.

Sorry, trust and respect must be earned...

message deleted

message deleted

I agree thoroughly with the dishonesty here in Ecuador.  We began by having things stolen from our luggage in a local hotel.  then we moved into a high rise and found out the owner was not reporting
her rent to the govt.  She was overpricing and cheating.  We then trusted a "friend" in Checa and one
of the first things they wanted was for us to be Grandparents to their two 18 and 16 yr old boys.  Sounds
great but look into what they means.  Then we moved to Carpanche and found the owner to be quite dishonest.  It was quiet.  NO   dogs, loud speakers, noise neighbors, all of the things we talked about were
not true.  No hot water.  We are now back in Checa with a landlady that pinches every penny and distrusts
everyone/  She told us the rent was 400 we said no and walked.  she then said 360 and we took it but found out the people before us was 250.  She is suiing everyone and a nut case.  Do I trust Ecuadorians.  NOOOO.

message deleted

Talking about trust. Even if is an old thread I want to say something.

In May 2015 I decided to trust in a Cuencana (who is a visa facilitator, who has a website, who has a Facebook page, she has an office in the US, she has an office in Cuenca in a high rise, she was interviewed in a Magazine that is in English and its target is the Expat community) to work on my (American) husband's visa.

We all signed a contract, we all agreed on the terms.

She has not finished the contract and her offers in it. Still, she is now suing us, claiming that we have not paid her $775 dollars. I have receipts that show we already paid her $1250 dollars. She is asking $1000 dollars on top of the $775 as interest.

She started asking for $1850 dollars after the visa was stamped on my husband's passport. I reminded her that the contract is $1550 and we already paid her $1250,  how come a professional don't even know what is the customer's balance on payments? How come she shoots first instead of checking her files first?

It seems to me that this Cuencana lady gives a dime for her clients.

How come a "professional" dares to act like this? Did she lose the receipts that she gave to us? If so, why she has not sent us an email asking please verify how much we have paid her and try to finish the job that she offered to do? And why she has not produced legal receipts (the ones that shows a tax #, business's name, address, etc)?

We did not asked her for those services, she was the one who decided to offered them. She wrote them down by hand, her own hand! But, after all this time she is not done yet. And we don't even need some of those services anymore, anyway.

How come can, she has 2 faces? Some people say that they are pleased with her service and also there are others who are very pissed for her for losing docs, no responses, taking money for services that she has not performed, etc?
Is like finding sour water and fresh water in the same river. 

People in the lowlands (wherever is not highlands) think that Highlanders (Serranos/people who lives in the highlands) are hypocrites. They would never say what they have in their minds, they would lie to you, they would project their complex on others. They probably know that they should not trust others because they know how much and how bad people lie.

I would like to know who the "she" facilitator is, even though I think I already know. It could save me in the future as we are look into retiring in Ecuador in a few years.

JJScott wrote:

I would like to know who the "she" facilitator is, even though I think I already know. It could save me in the future as we are look into retiring in Ecuador in a few years.

I do not like people getting rip off. So, I'm going to send you a PM with her name.
But, is very clear who she is.

Please people, do not pay in advance. Never! Ecuadorians don't do it, you don't do it either.

Got it, thanks !