Permit Of stay in Romania

Good day! i am Marian and i have a sensitive issue about this permit of stay. i am from romania and i am waiting for my Fiance who is a Filipina. we will plan to get married soon. but the issue is this permit of stay. i talked with embassy. with Romanian Ministry of Internal Affairs but they hardly answer. our problem is that she has a short visa not yet approved but hopelly soon. and she will have it for 90 days. without the permition of make it longer. cuz for a long permit visa she need it to be already married with me or have a kid together. i asked few lawyers on interent but they gave me hopes. cuz they said if we will get married we can apply for permit of stay right away not before that visa will expire tough. but recently i got an email ((After two Weeks)) gosh!!! from Romanian Ministry of Internal Affairs and it was like this.. long term visas is granted to first dergee relatives/wife or husband to the host. the long term visas can be extended not before they last 30 days. and can be obtained from immigration office or something like that they said.. and in the end they added that ""the short visa can't be extended"" can someone help me with this matter plss? maybe they don't know we will get married and she will have the same right and my name aswell. it has to be that hard to obtain that permit of stay?? to go back to her country and apply for a long term visa again??!!! after we waited more then 2 months to make this short visa happen??

Marian,  I believe I have already discussed this topic with you and your fiance via PM and on the forum about the process, why the confusion still? 

[edit: advice removed due to changed legislation]

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thank you soo much!! Romaniac!! ur my saivior! yess i know i asked those again.. man this embassy and immigration offices are taking me to be confused here! thank u once again. that is what we plan to do. right away after marriage apply for Permis de sedere ((temporara/temporary)) right??

Again, glad to help!

Yes, temporary is the only option.....she won't be eligible for a permanent card until 5 years.

Romaniac

okay i am bothering u with one more question. why they ask ""u need a D type visa in order to apply for permis de sedere?"" or is just me being confused here?

You know I just checked about this, and from what I see on EURAXESS(updated 7 Jan), it says now that indeed a D long-stay visa is required to apply for a permis de sedere temporara  :blink: I looked up the updated legislation OUG 194/2002 and Articol 24 seems to confirm this.

If this is indeed correct, I have been mistaken in my previous advice and I profusely apologize.  It would mean that she would have to go back "home", apply for the D visa for family reintegration, come back, then get the permis de sedere.....which is ridiculous in my opinion.

If it were me, I would still try to get to apply for the permis de sedere while she's here on the short-stay visa.  The worst that can happen is they say "nu se poate" and send you off.  I know of people that came just last year on tourist visas (short stay), got married and got the permis de sedere..... :unsure

I hope this helped also, though it might not be the news you hoped.

Romaniac

exactly! that is what i heard and read about it aswell :( well in this case what can we do right?? ofcourse i will still try to talk with them and see what happens.. to pitty is that Romania doesn't have a Fiance visa.. tough :( thank you Romaniac. i was hopping that she will stay .. but we don't give up that i know for sure. have a nice day there ^_^

Hi! The legislation has changed durring 2015. For sure you need a long stay visa in order to extend your right to remain in Romania.
Let me know if you need assistance!

well i don't need an extend cuz i am a romanian Citizen.. and i am planning to go to Philippines to get married. and what i am curious about. is how much time that long term visa needs to take? for my future wife. cuz i am thinking to apply for a 3 months visa there. and get married with all that papers. and after that if we can to come back to romania together.

Got it know. First, I recommend to get married at the Romanian Embassy there so that the marriage certificate will be automaticly recognised by the Romanian Authorities. After the marriage, your wife will apply for a long term visa having as goal the reunion of the family. When she arrives in Romania on this type of visa she will have to apply here for a stay permit. We can assist your wife in obtaining the staying permit if you wish. Let me know and "casa de piatra"!

Marian89 wrote:

well i don't need an extend cuz i am a romanian Citizen.. and i am planning to go to Philippines to get married. and what i am curious about. is how much time that long term visa needs to take? for my future wife. cuz i am thinking to apply for a 3 months visa there. and get married with all that papers. and after that if we can to come back to romania together.

Marian,

According the Romanian embassy website in Manila, visa processing takes 1-2 weeks.  To answer your fiance's question about documents that she sent me on PM yesterday, yes marriage certificates from foreign countries must be translated to Romanian, along with any supralegalization by the authorities in Phillipines.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Hi Marian,

The reason for which I advised you to get married at the Romanian Embassy is: the marriage certificate will be issued by Romanian Authorities and you will avoid a procedure that takes around three months for the transcription and recognision of the marriage certificate in Romania.
Regarding the other documents requested from your wife, these have to be supralegalized in the country these were issued. After this, in Romania, the documents have to be translated in Romanian by an authorized translator and certified by a Romanian public notary.

Hope this helps!

Raluca - Daniela wrote:

Got it know. First, I recommend to get married at the Romanian Embassy there so that the marriage certificate will be automaticly recognised by the Romanian Authorities. After the marriage, your wife will apply for a long term visa having as goal the reunion of the family. When she arrives in Romania on this type of visa she will have to apply here for a stay permit. We can assist your wife in obtaining the staying permit if you wish. Let me know and "casa de piatra"!

Welcome Raluca-Daniela

Thank you for responding.  Your advice is potentially good advice, however embassies abroad sometimes can not/will not perform marriage services for Romanian citizens unless they are resident in the foreign country, and sometimes they don't perform marriages at all. According to the embassy website in Manila, there is no evidence that they perform marriage ceremonies at all, only registering/transcription of marriages performed by Filipino authorities :)

Please, also note that offering/advertising of paid services is not permitted on the forums here.   If you are offering services, please register in the BUSINESS DIRECTORY.

Thank you Raluca

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

well thank you both of u ^_^ we are planning to do this this upcoming summer. since right now we are just planning it we know we have to do so many things.. the main issue is she can't come to romania to easily since her immigration office let her down once.. and we lost the ticket aswell :(:( but now i will not take that risk since i will go there myself and marry there instead of here. after that hopefully we will apply for long term visa ((family reunification)) and we can come here and end all of this stress by getting a permit of stay

Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more common.  It seems Romania is making it increasingly difficult for Romanians and foreigners to get married, possibly in a effort to limit convenience marriages where are people are looking for the "easy" ticket to having the right to reside, travel and work in Europe.

Romaniac

Slito wrote:

It's simple .. Get married after she arrives within a month and forward your application in for permit with not less than 30 days left on her visa .

If you followed the situation, and the recently updated laws...you'd see it is not so simple, unfortunately.  I think Marian and his fiance are agreeing...

Romaniac

its not possible to come with a short stay visa and get married here in romania. the laws have changed. maybe years back that would have been possible but now its not possible.
the best option is for you to get married in philipine in the romanian embassy and then by right you can actually come with your husband here without a visa. this someone did and was given a visa straight upon entry but with a lot of talk and all.

Hi Daniela! What kind of long stay visa would be required to remain in Romania. I'm trying to get a job there and maybe a working visa, but it's not easy... Can I request from my country a 6 months tourist visa?

Thank you!

Marcele.ssa wrote:

Hi Daniela! What kind of long stay visa would be required to remain in Romania. I'm trying to get a job there and maybe a working visa, but it's not easy... Can I request from my country a 6 months tourist visa?

Thank you!

Welcome Marcele.ssa, perhaps you could introduce yourself also?

To answer your question, the maximum length of a tourist visa is 90 days, and it cannot be extended.  In your situation, if you want a long stay visa 91+ days for the purpose of working, you'll need to find an employer in Romania willing to sponsor you and apply for the work visa, which is difficult, but not impossible.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Hello romaniac!

Im sorry, Im new to the forum. Im Brazilian, and I have a Romanian bf. I'm trying to find a job there, but the working visa is really a problem, and Im getting hopeless, although I had 2 interviews with a same company already. My bf and I want to get married but we don't want to rush things, so an extension would be a way of adapting and having time to work on all the paperwork... As from what I've seen, is not an easy process...

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Marcele.ssa wrote:

Hello romaniac!

Im sorry, Im new to the forum. Im Brazilian, and I have a Romanian bf. I'm trying to find a job there, but the working visa is really a problem, and Im getting hopeless, although I had 2 interviews with a same company already. My bf and I want to get married but we don't want to rush things, so an extension would be a way of adapting and having time to work on all the paperwork... As from what I've seen, is not an easy process...

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

No it definitely is NOT an easy process.  If you have plans to get married, that's will definitely make migrating here a little easier, though I agree you shouldn't rush into marriage before you're ready :)  With that said, as a family member (spouse) of an EU family member, you'll have the right to work and live here.  Trying to get a work visa is hard because jobs must first go to Romanians, then EU citizens, then finally third country nationals that have unique skills, and it's an investment on the companies part and a lot of bureaucracy to get a work visa approved. 

I have talked recently with some other to-be expats coming from Brazil that are planning to move here and do customer service jobs using Portuguese and English language skills.

Hope this helps!

Romaniac

Hi, I am from Colombia, but I work as a freelancer (from home) for an American Company, I make around 900 - 1000 euros per month, can I apply for a resident visa?
I really want to live for a little while on Romania, I have seen and loved a lot about the country, but I am not sure how can I migrate there with my current job.

Any ideas on what I can do? Thank you!

nbuitragog wrote:

Hi, I am from Colombia, but I work as a freelancer (from home) for an American Company, I make around 900 - 1000 euros per month, can I apply for a resident visa?
I really want to live for a little while on Romania, I have seen and loved a lot about the country, but I am not sure how can I migrate there with my current job.

Any ideas on what I can do? Thank you!

You might be able to reside in Romania, but you likely would have to open a business entity of some form.  From what I've heard, it's not terribly difficult to do, but it will cost you some money as you might need an attorney to assist you in handling all the required documents and applications, as well as hiring an accountant to file your quarterly paperwork with the finance authorities.

With an income of 900-1000 Euro, it might may or may not be enough to live comfortably, but this depends on your lifestyle and expectations. 

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

@nbuitragog:

You being a non-EU citizen will need to make substantial investment in the 6 figures (Euros) to be eligible for residency here. Plus you need to make a business plan, hire min 2 people etc etc, and your business visa is valid only for 1 year. Renewable every year, if your business goes as per the projected business plan submitted to ANAF or some other godforsaken authority in RO.
or
You need to be hired here locally (quite difficult and a monumental task)
or
Get married (quite easy to tie the know. No guarantees it will work)

Hi!

All the information your received here is correct.
However, if you find an employer, it's not so difficult to obtain the necessary documents to live in Romania. It just takes some time because of the volume of necessary papers thet need to be filed.

Have a great day!

Since the Romanian citizen doesn't have residency in that country, the Romanian embassy in Philippines is not allowed to perform this type of marriage ceremonies.  So it's better to get married there. Appostile and translate all the docs in Romanian. Get the family reunification visa D type. Come here and apply for the Permit. For permit,  If you can manage all docs process by yourself then well and good or else there are lots of agencies are available on internet so you can contact them but it's your choice only.