Baby travelling on UK passport, please read.

I'm a British woman married to a Moroccan national. We live together in the UK and our baby was born in the UK.

We plan to take baby to visit Morocco soon but I have been given conflicting information regarding passports: Some say he MUST enter Morocco on a Moroccan passport (he automatically qualifies for citizenship as his father is Moroccan, therefore obtaining a Moroccan passport should be easy).

Others say it's ok for him to enter Morocco on a UK passport (I'm British, so baby is considered British and was also born here).

Can anybody please confirm whether it's definitely ok for our baby to enter Morocco/leave Morocco on a UK passport?

Hi, just let your baby travel with his british passport. Because his father is Moroccan, baby is automaticaly also Moroccan and you can make his moroccan papers when he grows older insha ALLAH(no need to do it now, if it's just for a trip). Quiet similar case as ours, so relax and enjoy your trip  :)

Your baby is fine travelling on a british passport. If you want baby to have moroccan citezenship and passport you have to go to moroccan embassy in london. On a british pasport you can stay in morocco for three months as a visitor

Generally speaking the fact that a child "qualifies" for a secondary citizenship because his/her parent is of another nationality DOES NOT mean that he/she ACQUIRES that citizenship automatically. My Brazilian born son "qualifies" for Canadian citizenship, but I still must apply for it, it is not automatic.

The information you have is correct once the child actually has a secondary citizenship, he/she may only exit and enter the UK using the UK passport, and enter and exit Morocco on the Moroccan passport. That is NOT your child's case at the present moment.

Also, before you decide to apply for any secondary citizenship for your child, you should clearly understand all the provisions of the Nationality and Citizenship Law of both the UK and Morocco, since there are many factors and considerations involved. You should never make such a decision without ALL of the information.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hi took my son for first time at 9 months old, on his own British passport with no problems at all and was in similar position to you - husband travelling using Moroccan passport.