Where do Aussie Expats like to live in Phillipines?

Hi,
I am considering moving to Philippines and just wondering is any particular City or Island more attractive to Aussies than others.
I am not really where I want to base myself.

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

I will be in Philippines next week, 21 January 2016
Really like to know wher to meet other Aussies.

Based on the Southern Cross and and the Southern Cross shuttle bus going between Manila, Angeles and Subic, on a daily basis, I guess you will find them pretty common in those areas.

But how hidden are they ?

Thanks, I guess I will have 2 Months to find them.

Stay away from Dumaguete it is fast getting to be unlivable with shootings, drugs, and traffic.

You can not go past Davao City very safe.

tonyboost wrote:

You can not go past Davao City very safe.

Have things changed since this report:

June 29, 2014 7:41pm
Australia on Sunday advised its nationals on the heightened security in Davao City, while advising them against traveling to parts of Mindanao because of a "very high threat" of terrorist attack, kidnapping, violence and crime.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/36 … f-mindanao

Always worth looking at:
https://smartraveller.gov.au/countries/philippines

Hello,

Why dont you have a look in the island of Panay its actually an hour drive from Boracay. You can play golf, dive and swim, trek the mountains and live a simple but comfortable life.

I'm told there are many Aussies in Angeles City (never been there)
But in Naga City Bicol there are plenty of foreigners who speak English and many have a beer at a bar owned by a Brit (Pom)
In fact in 5yrs here I've only meet 3 Aussies passing through.

This is an interesting post for me, as  I am looking to move to either Dumaguete or Iloilo within 12 to 18 months. 
Is the information from first hand knowledge?  I have not found it elsewhere.  Last thing I want is to retire to a drug den!

Angeles is an acquired taste, not for me.  Have been there several times but not where I would want to retire to.

No I live 150m from that bar never seen any drugs around here

Thank you for the reply.  It may have been a rogue posting?  I have done a lot of research into the area and there has been no such suggestions.  Maybe a disgruntled customer also?
How long have you been thee, are you liking it and would you recommend it as a good retirement spot.?
Many thanks.

We moved here for my wife reles but Naga city is quite large close to million people
but its spread out and there's a lot of gated development like were I live.
house and land packages are cheap and there's plenty rentable properties.
easy enough to get around by bike or car
with plenty of jeepneys tricycles etc.
but the best thing about it is the amount of friendly foreigners who congregate for a beer and mostly yanks get together at Macca for breakfast.
nothing like talking English when you live in foreign country
I've lived here 5yrs but go home for a month every year

I stuffed up when reading the post about drugs, as I thought he meant Dumaguete.
Will do some research on Naga City.  I remember an expat telling me it is a nice place.
I am the same, go back every year Gold Coast - where are you from?

You didn`t stuff up at all...... Dumaguete is fast becoming the drug capital of the Philippines.    Ive lived here for five years and about to move to Davao this year.   
If I had my time over again the Philippines is the last place that I would move to...wish I had have listened to others who moved here and regretted it, but each to their own.
Good luck.

Thank you for your comments, no offence meant, just thought it may have been someone paying out for a personal reason.
This is an interesting comment and one that I have not heard before, despite considerable research.
I am in Thailand and have the same view of where I live - Pattaya.  I have been here for 8 years and am
well and truly over this place.  Full of corruption, a military government that has no liking for expats and  does everything it can to make life as difficult as possible, despite the financial pluses we bring to the country.
Can you  give me some insight as to why you are so 'fed up' with Phils?  I have formed some good friendships from guys who live in Dumaguete who speak highly of the place. They are sensible types and would be very interested to discuss this further, if you have the time.

Sure.......Mogo51 I will talk as I see it, and will probably upset a lot of Expats, but that will be their problem not mine.
Here goes.... Firstly why do we come to the Philippines?
I reckon that 99% of the Expats that come here (Including myself) are for the following reason`s... In order.. SEX, SEX, SEX, and more SEX.  ( Shock horror )

At first everything is good, but now we have to adapt to the country, with idiots all around you, endless noise,  foreigners always being in the wrong, crazy road warriors that will run over you and keep on going, corruption that is out of control, lots of friends, as long as the money lasts, no way of having a sensible conversation with the natives because the only things that they can talk about are facebook,  stupid shows on TV, ( that are not even funny) singing, and nothing else, and they dont even know anything about their own country (Ever seen a Filipino reading a book or keeping a promise? )
End of story.

So what I have said just proves my point as to the SEX thing..take that away and then would you come here..I dont think so. And a lot of things are dearer here than in Australia now, but still a cheap place to live.

I have been here for four years now and I would have gone back to Australia after six months if I had not severed my ties there, so I had no choice but to stay, and suffer for the next two or so years, whilst adjusting to all of the "crap"that goes on here.

After keeping my patience, and persevering I have finally got my lady friend watching the news, learning about other countries, not on her facebook every minute of the day, but reading light books instead, and now she even watches the Australian Parliament on TV. ( Buggered if I know why)   So now I have somebody who can at least be interesting. Oh! and she is also is into the AFL football and has her own team, and barracks like a crazy thing when we watch it on TV... so my perseverance has paid off, as we have a few things in common that we can talk about now, but others have not been as fortunate, they meet their mates everyday just to get away from their ladies, and regret, and always will regret coming to the Philippines to live.  ( nothing to do here but to drink everyday, is what most of them say )

OK I know that I am  going to get the other side of the coin from the Expats who have a good life here ( makes me jealous lol )  but sure as hell there are a lot more Expats that are not having their perfect life in Paradise, if only they would admit to it.

Anyway who am I to say what to do, and where to live, all I can suggest to those who are thinking about coming here is to think with the right head, and then still be wary.

Hope I have not offended too many of the Expats who read this, but it is only my opinion, and mine alone.

PS. I am starting to be at home here now, but am still moving out of Dumaguete as there was another drug bust a few days ago.

See you in Davao.

thanks for your slant on things there.  I am in Pattaya Thailand and it is no different.
Pattaya is a cess pool and it did not take me long to get over it.

Fortunately, I met an intelligent Filipino,my now S.O and we have been together 3 years.
She has a dual teaching degree, speaks very good English, does not watch soapies, does do Facebook but only so she can keep in touch with her family members.

I have a drink but at home, as I would rather stay and talk to her.  She is an amazing woman and takes great care of me.  We love each other very much, it is the best
relationship of my life.

We WILL come back to Phils in about 18 months and move to Dumaguete or Iloilo. I
do not and will not be a 'bar fly' there, as I rarely go to bars here.  It is a matter of choice.

There are things that are more expensive here than Oz, but very few and I whinge like hell at the price of Oz wine, when we allegedly have a 'free trade' agreement with Thailand but they slap 200%+  tax on it = stupid Oz Government.

But we live in a lovely apartment, eat well and go out for dinner a couple of nights a week for a 45k bht budget (60k pesos) which takes care of my pension.  But I would have no chance whatsoever of doing that in Australia.

I get the same feelings at times you have mentioned, but doubt I am as p..ssed off as you. maybe you need a change of location. 

Just because there has been a drug raid near you, does not then mean you are living in a drug den!.  From what you write, it seems your S.O is trying very hard to adopt some of your culture, maybe try to understand a bit of hers?  Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice but I can speak fluent Bisaya, and I have studied the Philippine culture and know more of it than most of the Filipino`s living here, and if you read my PS I said that I was "starting to be at home now", and I am not moving out of Dumaguete because of one drug bust, I am moving out ( as I explained in my last post ) because of the many drug related shootings, and the thuggery that has been going on here for the past two years or so.
So please dont heed my advice that you asked for just disregard everything that I have said and move here.
And my SO ( whatever that means )  is not trying at all hard to adopt to my culture, she is doing it because she wants to.
END OF STORY.

S.O is 'significant other' -  I think I have worked out your problem.

I was not attacking your personally, only having a discussion, but as you say, you make your decision, I will make mine, based on a cross section of advice from people who I believe can be objective.
Good luck in Davao, I hope you find it suitable.

Amen.

blueoakey wrote:

I'm told there are many Aussies in Angeles City (never been there)

It seems to be mainly Koreans and Americans, but a good number of Aussies too, but dwindling I think.

I ended up there for a while after visiting a friend. 
I realised I didn't fit in when I visited a bar that had great music, and I actually said that, to someone in the bar, and in an American voice, he said 'yeah, but we don't come here for the music do we...'
I thought... 'I do' ... and ended up feeling very much the odd one out.

Know exactly what you mean.  The bar scene is ok for some, but not me anymore.  I realise though that they have their usefulness.

I think that a lot of foreigners spend a time in the bars because maybe they like to talk to their own, but who knows, I might do a survey next time I am in one and report back.