Close

Moving to Annecy

Hi

We have decided to relocate to Annecy or any of the surrounding areas as we do need to be close to Annecy-le-Vieux since that is where our daughter will be going to school.
My wife is French and works from home and will be taking her job with her to France. I will be leaving my job of 17 years and will be starting again. At present my French is minimal and this is something that I will be working on.
We are looking to rent to begin with and there are plenty of properties to chose from.

My main concern is finding work. I don't expect to walk straight in to a job but would hope that after a few months I will be employed. I install computer cables at present and have all the kit to do this in France.
Can anyone share some knowledge of such a move and provide me with some insights on what to be aware of?

Thanking you in advance

I've been told that most folks seem to use head hunters, although it sounds like you could work for yourself. 

Folks who can work in Geneva earn a whole lot more than people who work in/around Annecy. 

There are near-free places to learn some French....not real structured like a class, but for the price....

You'd be fine living anywhere in Annecy because really walking or biking from where we live (edge of Annecy near Seynod) to ALV is easy.  But it is a tight market and finding a place to live can be a challenge.  (The best site is leboncoin.fr)

I'm not eligible to work here so I can't really answer more there.

Hi there,

I have just come across your post and wondered how things are going for you after 12 months living in Annecy? We have been here 6 months and feel really at home, the summer has been amazing and I'm really looking forward to getting on the slopes in the next couple of weeks.

Hope all is good.
Andrea.

Hello:

My name is Gael (short for Gabriel). A recent graduate from Regent's University London, as a Motion Graphics Designer, Graphic Designer, Animator and Filmmaker.

I currently live in London but have always planned to settle down somewhere in Annecy, and recently I have had the opportunity to do so. However I lack knowledge of city in terms of accommodation, future job vacancies, and just basic living. Therefore when I saw a few posts here on Expat including this one, I was attracted to comment in order to see if anyone would answer a few of the questions that I have about Annecy.

Thank you in advance.

Gael.

Expatriate health insurance in Haute Savoie

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Haute Savoie

Moving to Haute Savoie

Find tips from professionals about moving to Haute Savoie

Travel insurance in Haute Savoie

Enjoy stress-free travel to Haute Savoie