Close

New members of the Ecuador forum, introduce yourself here – 2016

Hi, I'm John.  I'm an Ophthalmologist living in a small town (15k) in Oregon.  I'm seriously considering permanently (10+ years) moving to Ecuador in 6 years (2022).  By that time everything here will have been paid off and I will have a decent income (easily eligible for pensioners visa) but it's not SS income because I'll be too young by 7 years or so.  But thats a small detail I can work out later. 

I've done two medical mission trips to Ecuador (many others elsewhere) so far and totally loved it (Loja/Carimanga and Guayaquil- two totally opposite situations but I loved both). Spent a couple days in Quito and Cuenca but I'm not sure I could do the city life thing (I've lived in a town of 15k for 11 years now and got used to it).  Loved both Quito and Cuenca, Guayaquil didn't push my buttons but would be acceptable on a limited basis (already have contacts there).

Wherever I go I need to be needed.

Last formal Spanish classes were in the 80's.  I've been working feverishly since I need to be fluent in 5 years, hopefully sooner.

CarloA :

Am 64, active.  Arriving on the south coast late next week (mid-August 2016).

Spent two years in EC, mostly in Cuenca, Otavalo and Vilcabamba ending late last year...

Will be in the area looking for a home to buy for awhile, then back north to clean things up for long term move....

Targeting the Salinas area for real estate.  Maybe Canoa.

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Carlos.

This thread is for intro’s only, so I’m addressing an important issue you raised, over on the thread called “Fielding Your Questions:  New Members Want to Know....”

www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=47 … =3#3327963

-- cccmedia

Hi
I am new here and I want some help in finding information about living in Ecuador  and connecting with people who can provide some advice.

I am from Damascus , Syria, I hold a bachelor's degree in English literature from the University of Damascus, and did lots of English teacher training and I have TKT (Teaching knowledge test) Practical teacher training (CELTA based practical course),  was working as Customer Services Assistant at British Council Syria,Damascus and in 2013  I traveled to Egypt, I worked with British council in Egypt for two years as IELTS exam administrator.

So we are shiny new expats in Cuenca. Shiny new to Ecuador anyway. We have been traveling around the world since 2008 and have now decided to see if Cuenca might be our new home base.

I am a chef/wine educator/writer and my wife is a photographer. Together we have written more than a half dozen books and have traveled to 135 countries (and counting).

As we have circumnavigated the world we have offered 7 course wine dinners and wine classes wherever we have gone. Chances are we will do the same here, eventually.

In the mean time we are excited to meet new people, share our adventures and hear about your's.

If you want to pop a cork sometime, let us know, we will be there!

:cool:  Peeking in and saying Hello to all you folks from my place here on the beach in Montañita...

I have been living in Ecuador on the coast for over 8 years and during that time I have also been active on Social Media as Moderator and Administrator of the largest and most active groups on Facebook and the Web dedicated to Expats in Ecuador. 

Combining my ongoing life experience, continuing updated knowledge from my social media work,  research ability from my background as an attorney with experience in international law, and my knowledge of Spanish language I have for a number of years been giving private consults to people considering making the change to live in Ecuador.

Now it is easier than ever to contact me and schedule a time to speak with me personally to discuss your questions about moving, retiring, living, working, investing, or simply traveling to Ecuador! 

I´ll be around responding to questions I can help with and if there is something you would like to ask, about Ecuador, making the choice to move, how to do it, pretty much anything, let me now!

Susan

Welcome back to expat.com’s Ecuador forum, Susan.

I have appreciated your longtime dedication as moderator and participant at the Expat E------- Ecuador online-forum .. so we welcome your contributions here, going forward. :)

cccmedia

Cool! C3

...say anyone ever mention you like ...naw...never mind  :lol:

Welcome on board Susan !

Hi. I'm Mike, sometimes better known as the Mayor of Las Colinas. A honorary title and one of distinction. I'm doing research on the country and the various parts to determine areas of interest. I'm planning a trip after the first of the year, in 2017. I'm thinking that a month to 6 weeks would be enough time to see the inland cities and beach areas in which I'm interested. I am also doing research and have interest in Nicaragua. So, I would like to hear from others who have experience in both countries. I have 40+ years of marketing and sales experience -  working mostly with entrepreneurs. I will soon start drawing my SSI monthly payments to enjoy and have a joyful life. I am 63 and healthy and want to find a place to let my dollars go further than in the states. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you online and perhaps getting together to meet you on my trip. I look forward to knowing more and reading everyone's input. I currently live in Irving, TX just outside of Dallas, TX. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Irving!  Home of the Cowboys!

I have fond memories of the D/FW metroplex fom the 80´s and also up around lake Bridgeport and Chico, TX.

I have been here in Ecuador for over 8 years now and ran hostel in the town of Anconcito, part of the Salinas municipality (aka Canton Salinas)for most of that time.  I´m now working on revamping that property and spending more time up the coast in Montañita.

Glad to hear you will be looking at the Coast as well as the Sierra ... and sounds like you are making great plans.

Hola everyone!  My name is Linda and I have been living in Cuenca for the past year and a half.  I´m not your average expat, not that any of you are average =), but I am working a couple of jobs, looking to start a business, and doing a little bit of everything.  I´m also fluent in Spanish.  Just wanted to send a warm welcome to everyone and feel free to message me if you have any questions or need some advice.  I´m always happy to help out my fellow adventurers!

HI, I came to Cuenca in early September to explore the possibility of retiring here.  I am a people person, so much of that decision depends on how easily I can make new friends here.  I have started Spanish lessons, taken a city tour, spend hours walking around and discovering the city and have attended the symphony twice.  I am planning a tour of the Inca ruins next week.  Anyone want to go?  So anyway, I must admit I am enjoying everything except being alone.  Ideas, comments, advice and friends are welcome.  Thanks, Ann

Hello everyone out there!!! My name is Jorge , 52 years old..and i was born and raised in Ecuador . My parents started sending me to the States since the age of 5, after school break from here . I didl my High School and College years in Massachusetts. And finally came back to Ecuador since 1986. Yes, i've been here for over 30 years.. ***

Moderated by Priscilla 2 months ago
Reason : no free ads please + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

My wife and I entertain regularly, and are also new to Cuenca. We will be having our first event this Saturday (October 8th). If you enjoy food and wine (and that goes for everyone reading this) I invite you to join our MeetUp group

meetu.ps/s/.0/v8zrT/c

We have had a great time meeting people all over the world this way, and I am sure you will too!

Hi, I am retiring in 1 to 2 years, and have been researching Ecuador for the past six months. I have planned a trip for next May. I will be flying into Quito and staying in that area for three nights, then I have 4 nights free before Cuenca. I am thinking of renting a car and driving to Cuenca. There will be four of us for this leg of the trip. Do we need to make reservations and if so what areas would you suggest? I think I am interested in settling in the Cuenca to Loja area.

Hi everybody
I'm Dave and will be emigrating to live in Quito and to marry my Ecuadorian partner next Autumn (Fall for our American cousins :-)) .

We are actively now looking for land and will build a new home, but until that is complete will live in San Rafael. 

I am proactively learning Spanish with a great on line Skype teacher from Quito, and its going well....... so that when I come to visit this Christmas I won't be so "left out"!!

I'm hoping that this Forum will help to generate the beginnings of a network, both ex-pat and professional,  I will be looking for occasional or temp consultancy work in project and programme leadership probably ......... but will keep my ear  to the ground for anything that may come up.

Anyway - please include me on any tips or info

hi from Vancouver, B.C.
Hope to retire there in 5 yrs or less as I want a Panama hat made in Ecuador. Heard about its affordability and great health care system.
I want to live in a country full of culture, arts and beauty.
Not sure if the bf wants to come to retire. we've travelled to Cuba, Mexico and Dominican Republic.

Hi everyone,

Kevin here, from Los Angeles. Accountant, married with 2 very young children (3 and 0 - young enough to learn new language/move around). Wife and I are into finance/real estate investment in the US. We are both originally from Indonesia (Jakarta and Malang). I just got my US citizenship this year, my wife had to wait till 2018. Looking into early retirement/financial independence to spend more time with the children. Had initially planned to move to Plano, TX, but it is still the US. Want change and looking to visit Cuenca, Ecuador on 2/8 - 2/19/2017. Depending on what we see we'll probably sell our stuffs and move around June - August 2017. Prioritize (1) Safety, (2) Education, (3) Healthcare when we chose Cuenca. We don't speak Spanish.

Why Cuenca? safer than LA, high altitude, spring-like weather, no mosquito (zika), beautiful surroundings, lots of hiking/things to do, cheap, high CDs rate, close enough to US, cultural, good public transport (upcoming light rail?), good hospital/clinics, easy immigration, friendly folks, good food, there is internet, can home-school, ...

Anyone can correct me and tell me otherwise abt Cuenca :)

I'm from Denver, CO...I'm nearing finalization of my pension visa. I lived in Guatamala for 3 years, speak rudimentary spanish. I'm 70, male,spiritual.

Expatriate health insurance in Ecuador

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ecuador

Moving to Ecuador

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ecuador

Travel insurance in Ecuador

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ecuador

Flights to Ecuador

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ecuador