New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2016

Hi all,

Newbie on the Costa Rica forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Costa Rica if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2015 continues below!

My name is Eric and Im from Florida, but have been full time here for seven years and counting. Im glad to have been steered this way by my bonsai friends. Im sure we can all share advice or whatever.  I speak spanish  very well and am happy to help with anything I can. I am into aquaponic gardening, bonsai trees and other plants. The AP system uses fish waste (caca) as fertilizer so its organic. Almost anything will grow in AP very fast and healthy. And on a bigger scale produces fish as well as organic veggies. If anyone wants to know more, Im happy to explain. Since I cant go fishin  easily at all my new love is plants and trees. I live near San Vito on the southern border in a place called la copa buena, next to agua buena. Its much cooler up here in the mountains than Pavones, where I lived before. Thanks for having me and for your time.

Dant here checking in from San Diego California by way of North Carolina. Currently in the process of getting passports for me and my wife this year I'm 29 she's 25 one kid on the way. We're not sure where we want to start our new life but were looking at Thailand Philippines Costa Rica and Panama for now. My wife is from Manila but she feels it's too congested so we're open as of now. We will be in Thailand and the Philippines this year and CR next and hopefully we can make our decision by December 2018. Medical Retirement Army

Wow supercad55, nice project !  Good luck with your choices !

Still undecided on where we will be moving as a family between Panama, CR, or Thailand. Married with one kid on the way medically retired out of the service last year. My wife is from the Philippines but she is a US citizen and US Army reserve soldier which is why we can't leave at the moment. I'm 29 she's 25 we love the beach good food and great people.

NIGHT

If your in Southern Costa Rica call me if you like. Or email. Ive been here going on 8 yrs. Im from Fl. I can help you with my experience and advice. So feel free to contact me. 8515 8910. Thanks for your service to the U.S.!

A man of my word, looking at options outside of the US starting next year.. maybe. Anyway. I have been interested in Guatemala, but, Costa Rica in many ways may be the better option. Simply, a vast number of expats seem to be there.  Its time to renew my passport anyway.

Careful about Guatamala I thnk if you xheck the dangerous p[laces list I tgink it is on their top for Central America,,and I have had many employees in the past at my restaurant in Bev Hills and THEY all say it is very dangerous even for them...

TRUE  Costa Rica is way better and safer than Guatamala  Good Luck
mssage me if questions ..I moved her 25 years ago agfter living just about ALL OVER  CR
pebs

Hello everyone! I go  by Lisa. I have been researching a destination for my fiancee and I to move to next year. After spending about 4 years researching Ecuador, we spent a month there in December. We liked it,  but I wasn't really fond of the food. I have been to Costa Rica (San Jose, Monteverde, Montezuma, Jaco and Manual Antonio) in a previous trip, and liked it very much. Now, my fiancee and I are tying the knot in August, and planning to visit CR in September. We are interested in moving there, and will be looking for real estate to purchase. My best guess is that we would like Areanal, as he insists on being near the water, and I insist on temperatures lower than the 120 degrees I experienced in Montezuma. I need to find out if I can bring my car into CR, and get some property prices, so I know how it compares to living in the Seattle area. It's way too expensive here! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You,
Lisa

I live near San Vito, about an hour and half from the beaches and Golfito. Paso Canoas is on the border and they have stuff you just wont find in CR. There on the Panamá side but shopping.is fine without passing immigration. But I live at about 1300 meters in the mountains. Its rarely very hot. Some nights blankets are needed for the chill. Overall its a nice place to live, Im in a pueblo but el campo is close. The owner of a nice lot said about 40000$. Its super close to town and the varios stores. Theres a nice supermarket and on the other side of the road is a good hardware store. Plus two liquor store, severel pulerias, another decent grocery but its further for me. There are bilingual schools here, so you might want to help the kids practicing. Over all Id reccomend it here and the area for its fresh climate, closeness to other bigger towns and the semi suburbs around my place are nice. Id be happy to help you if I can, Ive been here going on 8 years and am very fluent in Tico spanish. This area has a lot to look at and see but not tons of tourists, very few really. Lots of coffee and agriculture are everywhere. I live in la Copa Buena, next to Agua Buena if it sounds good.  Btw theres a spot close by where both costs are visible on the clearest days...feel free to pm me or call if you like. Im happy to help or give advice, share experiances or whatever.

OH well I just lost a long post telling you about the low costa of living and of the beauty of our area in Heredia Hills  (with year round Spring-like weather (averages 75/80 year round ..Has all you need from New Malls New Great hospital unlike the tremote arenal area "CLINICS are lacking ibn equipment and good doctors as most are here in the Central valley,,Compare prices a on rentals food etc ,.YOu v=[can d=save lots here and live in and Incredible are..If my longer  post  does not show up ..private message me with any questions and be SURE ti see our little known  (by Gringos  ) , because they are herded by  unlicensed "Real Estate Brokers "to high priced places like Arenal,  (rains a LOT )  and Gringo Gulches with   HIGH priced real estate and food etc....
Message me and I will gladly drive you around to check out our  fabulous  area of Concepcion de San Rafael de HEREDIA

Hi Pebs,
Wish I could have gotten back to you earlier! I don't know if it's this blog or another problem, but it was a little difficult to read your message (HTML errors). Any info you have on Areanal and the Oceanside locations would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! My fiancee must live next to the water, so that is why I've been looking at that area. Are you near any large lakes? How long does it take to get to the nearest large markets?
I hope we can talk again soon!
Thanks,
Lisa

Hello everyone,

If you have any specific questions, you should please start a new topic on the Costa Rica forum for more interactions with members on your subject.

Here the topic is for the introduction of new members.

Thank you.
Christine
Expat.com

Hello, my name is Sunny. Currently, I am in the US, Ky to be precise, but researching places to re-locate. Costa Rica is tops on my list. I want to come down to visit this year and possibly re-locate to CR. I will be looking at property as well when I come. I am a freelance photographer/artist and finishing my diploma in Reflexology. I have also studied Massage and Aromatherapy. Any information   would be wonderful! . I am thinking in the beginning stages, San Jose would be nice, but later more small townish. I do love the coasts along with the mountainous areas & the photography of CR I think is just breath-taking! I think the Lake Arenal area would be great and Pebs I really love the sound of Heredia Hills! Any information about Costa Rica at this point, I would greatly appreciate. I have quite a few things to tie up where I am now, but planning :)

I live in the South, near the border with Panamá, at 1300 meters elevation. I lived at the beach before. I recomend somewhere close to here, near San Vito. There are less tourists and its not so hectic. Anything you need is close. Further north theres more crime, more people, more noise, and less peace. San Jose is aweful, in my opinion. Ive been here 8 years and can answer most questions. You will want to start learning spanish asap. You can find english speakers but you will be more respected if you speak spanish. And you will make way more friends too. Pm me  if you want more info. I do not recomend living in tourist areas or bigger towns. San Vito is about as good as it gets down here, clean and with less beggers, thieves, and its cheaper. Also the border is great for shopping. And if you dont have residency you will want a place close so you can get a new visa every 90 days. Its easy and I can teach you the tricks to make it easier...

Thank you Eric and I agree. Updating my Spanish is top priority for now and I don't care for touristy areas. Thanks for the tips on the southern area  :)

Heyyyyyyyy :) I am g;ad you are going to check out our lovely Heredia Hulls with its awsome climate :)
P.M  me when you are ready to come for a trip and I will be happy to show you around our area :)
Good Luck...

Thanks both Eric and Pebs :)))) I do have some things to settle up regarding my home up here. But I sure will remember as I get closer to coming down to CR  :D

Con mucho gusto! I think I confirmed your request to be friends here. If not, please let me know. And if your headed to southern CR, your welcome to contact me in person. The south stays greener and gets more rain than up north. I recomend the southern zone for many reasons. Im happy to help if I can. Just drop me a line *** , my  local CR cell number. Anytime!

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Share contact infos only in private please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi all,

Bob & Beth here. We currently live in New Hampshire where the winters are 6 months long and we are sick of it. Not to mention the rat race it has become working way to many hours and dealing with way to many angry people. Sadly we are still a few years away from retiring but definitely have our eyes set on Costa Rica. We have done some homework and have made 2 trips there in the past 3 years. We are lining up Spanish classes for this summer as this seems to be one of the biggest obstacles we face while visiting. We would love to connect with someone that has lived in Costa Rica for a while just to pick your brain, and hopefully start a friendship. Looking forward to any and all responses.....Pura Vida!

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=576148

Thanks!

Closed