Social Security Number - confusing online form!

Hi guys,

Me again! :)

My partner needs to apply for an SSN and we are seriously struggling to complete the form! We've never had an issue with forms even relatively complex tax returns in Ireland, but there's just something about Maltese forms that really puzzles us... It's this one btw: https://www.gov.mt/en/Services-And-Info … umber.aspx

For starters, what should you put in under Address in Country of Residence? The explanation says The address in which the applicant habitually resides and where the habitual centre of interests is to be found. This is  normally the address on your Residence Document and is not the address in Malta if you will be in Malta on a  temporary basis for the duration of your activity.

What do they class as 'temporary basis'? Should we use the address here in Malta?

It continues with Address in Country of Stay which is explained as The address in which you will be temporarily residing and the applicant intends to return to his / her place of  residence as soon as the underlying purpose for the stay in Malta has been reached.

Is this only for short-term work? We are intending to stay for 3 years or more at least but my partner's work contract is on a fixed term of a year at first. The one after that will be permanent if they decide to keep him.

The problem is that both addresses are required so they really want to have some form of address abroad I guess. What should we put in??

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Melanie

You will be considered a resident (for tax purposes at least) if you're present in the country for 183 days or more per tax year. So your Maltese address

paulolly wrote:

You will be considered a resident (for tax purposes at least) if you're present in the country for 183 days or more per tax year. So your Maltese address

Thanks paulolly! What should we put in for the Address in Country of Stay though? I have no idea where we'll be after Malta. Can you just make up any address or will they ask for some form of proof?

You don't need to
Fill in a form - take the work contract plus passport to the local etc office and you will get a social security number

Thanks Rob, that sounds like the best plan! The office is really close to where we live :)

That's how i did mine I went to the sliema office