Crime

Does Mauritius have a problem with crime? I would presume certain areas are safer than others? What has been your experience?

Yeah as mentioned i think its just down to petty crime.  I've felt safe since i arrived and haven't had any issue in the past year.

Just do the usual common sense,  if your at the beach don't leave valuables unattended and in plain sight.   Lock your doors when you go out (even though you don't HAVE to, common sense) etc.

Thanx so much. Good news indeed.

yea, you should know which area and you should go along with confident persons only.

It seems relatively safe everywhere (in the North). You can even take walks at night, but then your concern becomes these insane dogs that loiter everywhere.

With South African paranoia about crime, I think if you tone it down by about 50%, you should be more than safe.

Always lock your car, try to find a place that has an alarm or a gated community (that is where I believe the S.Africans stay in) and not being negligent should be fine.

You are highly unlikely to get stabbed for 200 rupees (meaning the criminals are not vicious/desperate).

There has been a spate of robberies in Pereybere /Grand Baie area where people have had their bags stolen by guys on motor bikes in the past week, including a French tourist who was injured in Pereybere.

I always felt safe but in July our apartment was broken into and trashed, the safe ripped off the wall and important documents taken as well as the usual TV etc. They even took the food stock.
6 months later the case is unresolved despite us giving the police the suspects name but that's another story.

So now I have to say no I do not feel safe despite bars on the windows and doors (I hear even these are quite easy to remove by determined thieves)

The crime here in Mauritius DOES NOT compare to South Africa in any sense. My husband and myself feel very safe here and are in awe that we can take a walk at night to the garage and be safe. Of course, one still needs to be careful and not negligent, but nonetheless, for us, living here is a lot safer than where we came from.

daisymay2 wrote:

There has been a spate of robberies in Pereybere /Grand Baie area where people have had their bags stolen by guys on motor bikes in the past week, including a French tourist who was injured in Pereybere.

Wow!!! I was not aware of this.

Where can we/I find a good English daily news source (preferably online) ?

Try Le Defi, L' Express and Le Mauricien online - there is a facility to translate  :)
Not a day goes by without some crime or other being reported.
There is a weekly English language newspaper in hard copy -  which comes out on a Friday but frankly it's rubbish.