Retiring in Puerto Plata

Wow  where was that shipped from???     

Its important to understand the rules, what you can and cannot bring,  what makes sense to bring etc. Sometimes when you factor in the cost of shipping etc,  it makes better sense to sell it there and buy something else here!

Planner,

We shipped our belongings from Kentucky to Cabarete. We had three quotes and the other two were quite a bit lower in their estimates, but reading what was included and not we went with the shipper that was more expensive just because of what they offered compared to the others. Stan: We had prepared ourselves for the costs, it wasn't a huge surprise for us. We knew with what we wanted to bring it would cost about that. We just forgot to add in the cost of insurance on our container.

So that price included insurance.  Still seems high. We shipped container from Iowa to our farm in San Jose de los Llanos including insurance it was  US 6,800 -  we did have a person to clear aduanas etc and that cost us  US 600 per  container so no big deal.

Thanks for the reply. I did hear you have to own it for 2 years, but I also heard 1 year. First I heard about paying taxes on it however.

I for got to mention I was referring to importing a car into DR.

They do not consider a car household goods so you pay taxes on it and can't be more than 5 years old.

I just assumed you were talking about the DR Stan, my bad on assuming so, but we are talking about the same country :)

Planner,

How long ago was it you had your container shipped? Was it just recently? As we have both mentioned doing your homework on shippers is important and what fits your needs is important. We had a lot of insurance on our container, which accounts for our costs as well.

Planner,

The quote was $10,000 then we added the insurance, which brought it up to $13,000. The other quotes we had were around $7,000 and $8,000 (not including insurance and not including some extras). We figured it would cost about $10,000 to ship a container and had prepared in advance for this cost.

Okay,  our most recent container was in  September of 2015. 

Stan -  once you have residencia you  can bring in your personal vehicle.  You will pay Itbis on this at 18%  but no other tax or duty.  There are rules, you must own it free and clear, it must be at least 2 years old and not more then  5 years old.

Thanks Planner. In this case I assume that you must own it for 2 years. I am really not clear about this as I also heard 1 year ownership is required.

deleted

As far as I know that increase was not approved. And most here are residends not Dominicans so none of that applies Texas.

Yes anyone can buy a new  car and pay the shipping,  18% ITBIS and Duty!  yikes.

Nothing I say on this forum matters unless it from Bob or the PLANNER. this is a two person show.

Wow Texas someone pee in you   Wheaties this morning???

Bob K

When we shipped our container in 2006 the cost was about $9,000 door to door with unpacking here, full insurance and cost of shipper taking care of clearing customs.  Our total tax bill was under $400 for a 3rd TV (which we did not ship) which we accepted considering all the NEW household items and appliances that were included in the container. I a might add it was a 40 foot container and we did ship it with our residency exoneration.

I shipped a car separately later on with out the exoneration and paid above the shipping about 30% of the value of the car in taxes.   So if shipping a car that you owned for 2 but less than 5 years do it with your original container to avoid the huge tax.

Bob K

Gee Texas  whats with you?  I partially agreed with you and clarified something else.   What is your issue with that?????   

Maybe Bob and I should shut up for a week and let you run this show!!!!  Lets see how you do with that.

Sounds good to me.  Actually starting tomorrow I will not have anything but very spotty and infrequent internet access for a week.  I will be taking a few days off.

The ball is in your lap Texas :D:D:D:D:D

Bob K

Yup lets see what happens now!  I am out of here for a bit too,  tired of being criticized for helping!

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : No free ads please + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Planner and Bob, I also have to mention the G men, your contribution to this forum is priceless so don't let 1 rottin Apple spoil the basket.

Unfortunately Stan it happens all the time.  We do what we can to help because we LIKE TO HELP!   We also have a bit of a job to do making sure things stay within certain rules.

That being said -  we are VOLUNTEERS and unpaid, thus not willing to take other peoples shit whenever they don't like something!