Habits Common in Brazil That You May Find Odd

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2015-08/11/8/enhanced/webdr12/enhanced-buzz-25591-1439297039-12.jpg
Every culture on earth has its own set of norms, habits and cultural differences. Brazil is no different and we expats simply have to accept those differences. We should expect that we're going to see a lot of things done here that we find strange. More importantly, we're probably going to do a lot of things that Brazilians find stranger still, and perhaps even a bit irritating or offensive.

1.  There is no such thing as "finger food" for Brazilians - sandwiches, snacks and that morning "pão na chapa" are never picked up in the fingers of a Brazilian to be eaten. They use a paper napkin to eat such things. Foods like chicken wings, drumsticks and even pizza are eaten with a knife and fork. Hamburgers, especially large hamburgers are often cut up and eaten with a knife and fork, while it is also acceptable to pick them up with a napkin.

2.  Drinking coffee - For Brazilians large mugs of coffee like we expats do is something they find strange. First of all Brazilian generally prefer a much stronger coffee or expresso. The "cafezinho" is served in a tiny cup similar to a demitasse cup, always black or black with sugar and they'll drink it at any hour of the day or night. It is commonly offered following dinner in most restaurants. The typical "café com leite" (coffee with milk and sugar) that you'll find served in the morning at most bakeries is served in a 4 oz. glass. It is a mixture of dripped coffee and hot milk.

3.  Most Brazilians, despite the fact that dermatologists say it may be very harmful to the skin, take 3 or more showers per day; wereas most of us expats take only one per day. It's common for Brazilians to shower when they rise in the morning. If they are able to have lunch at home they'll shower then too, and at night before retiring.

4.  Brushing their teeth at work - Yes, I've been in large companies all over this country and without exception their employees brush their teeth at work after they've eaten lunch, dinner or any snack.

5.  Hand washing - Brazilians are obsessive about washing their hands. Before they eat, after they eat, after any messy jobs, before and after their bathroom needs. Many workplaces probably still have the alcohol gel dispensers that were extremely common when I arrived here years ago. People would rush off and squirt the gel on their hands and rub it in before shaking hands.

6.  Punctuality - while Brazilians are generally quite punctual in the workplace and with their business activities that for some strange reason does not carry over into the personal lives of most of them. For example if you arrange a party or a dinner engagement and set a specific time, you may find that most Brazilians will arrive an hour and sometimes even more late.

7.  Hugs and kissing on the cheeks - Not so common in the workplace, but socially Brazilians are very kissy-huggy people. Men routinely hug and while doing so pat each other on the back with both hands.  Women hug and do the traditional "air kisses" when greeting other women. Men will hug and kiss the cheeks of women when meeting. Traditionally once on each cheek. This may be a bit disconcerting for those from cultures where such intimacy and personal contact are not common.

8.  First names / Last names -  Hard to figure out when to use which. Socially, I've noticed that it is almost always the first name that gets used for everyone from friends, to celebs to the President of the Republic. In the workplace it is more often only the last name. Doesn't matter who it is either, it may be an office clerk or it may be the CEO.

9.  Sitting BESIDE one's partner in a restaurant - Most of us are much more accustomed to sitting across the table from our spouses or dates in an intimate dinner setting at restaurants. Brazilians as a rule sit beside each other in such situations.

10.  Toss or Flush - Sorry for this rather delicate issue, but here in Brazil one DOES NOT flush toliet paper. It should be disposed of in the wastebasket beside the toilet. There are few cities anywhere in Brazil that have anything beyond primary sewage treatment if they even have that. The sewer systems here are old, not well maintained and wholly incapable of handling toilet paper and the resulting problems that it causes for the systems. Also, in many small towns without any kind of treatment the paper will be going straight into the rivers. Remember if you're in the habit of flushing, one day everything that you've sent down that drain is going to come back and visit you again. Trust me you don't need that kind of experience.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hi!
Thanks Sir James,

Very nice and good traditional and cultural information have been shared. :)
Regards,
El Hasan

James,
Thank you for monitoring and writing on this site.  Keeping all informed and steering us out of trouble.
The habits of Brasilians were a surprise to me, when I first came to Rio in the early eighties.  Being from west Texas, us cowboys, would seldom touch, not even shake hands, unless closing a trade, so hugging guys was a real shock to a shy cowpoke.  Living in Sao Conrado of Rio, most beautiful place in the world, but not speaking a word of Portuguese, I was soon taking hang gliding lessons and reacting to Portuguese instructions in flight.  Taking off from Pedra Bonita as the sun rose over the ocean and landing on the beach in the afternoon, was perfect peace, spiked with adrenaline.  Hugging all the guys and kissing all the girls, became habit. 
When I returned to Texas, the guys would look startled, when I hugged them, but everyone is used to it now and everyone is the better for it.  Some of the gals are resistant to the air kisses, while others are pleasantly surprised.
I never liked coffee nor drank it before going to Brasil, but I liked the free espressos there, when I came back to Texas, I had to buy an espresso machine and ship in quality coffee beans.  Wonderful coffee aroma fills my home, and friends are always coming over for some brew.
Also learned a little etiquette, eating with my left hand and using a knife.
Those days in Rio,  I could leave the car with someone to wash it, carry a camera to the beach and it would stay where I left it, and the girls wore their gold necklaces there as well.  After Brizola the drug lord became major, drugs and crime boomed and paradise was lost.  Guess we should dig a big pit here in USA and Brasil, bury the politicians and improve the quality of life at least 80%.
Abracos e beijos,
Monte
Yes my name was a joke! Especially being two meters tall.

First night in Rio, I was taking off my boots getting ready for bed, had taken a nap earlier after the all night flight, when the phone rang,  "we will be by in an hour to go to dinner."  I thought I had slept through dinner or they forgot  they had asked  me earlier to go with them.  In typical Brasilian style, they picked us up two hours later at midnight and we went out to eat.  Of course, the restaurants were full and we dined and danced til four, in the middle of the week, and went home .
Lit in the night among the clouds, shining over the ribbon city, was the answer, the purpose for life, we all search for.  At the time, I was oblivious to the love of Y'shua and His precious Holy Spirit, now I intimately know Him.