Mail and Packages from USA

We are considering moving to Mexico. One of the questions we have pertains to getting products, mail, and packages from the US to SMA. When we visited last month we heard something about mail going to Texas and a service brings it in to Mexico. Is this true? Can one order items on the internet and have them delivered to SMA or this place in Texas?

You must be talking about places like this http://estafetausa.com/express-parcel-c … rvices.php
They ship from Laredo.

I use my daughter's address because I need a U.S. address, and she fedex's things to me. Some companies ship to Mexico, some don't. air mail can be very slow, and there is a limit to how much they can ship airmail. I always allow a month.

Fedex is pretty fast. There is a Amazon Mexico, that has many but not all of the items Amazon U.S. has. and you will find that Mexico has many of the items you want.

My problem has been some vitamins that GNC in Mexico doesn't carry so I shop for those at iherb and they ship airmail which takes at least a month.

There are also a few small mail service companies that drive to a border town a few times a week.  There's one in the Chapala area so probably SMA

Most of the Mexican convenience stores mostly located in Hispanic areas all throughout the States have or know of private individuals who make runs to mexico with cargo usually clothes etc.This is by far the cheapest way to send goods to Mexico.They charge by the pound and will deliver to your house.Its just a case of going to enquirer.This is how all my Mexican friends in the States send things home.                                                                It takes an average of six weeks for a letter from the states to reach me in Mexico.

Is there an import tax or duty on these items sent from the US to SMA?

www[dot]dutycalculator[dot].com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Mexico/

Post (mail) can take for ever.
Courier "might" avoid duties if you use a service in the US that carries the merchandise across the border into the "Border Strip" and then places it with Fedex, UPS, or a Mexican delivery service.

I have paid the cost of shipping in Mexico and a 6% or 75 fee to have the stuff carried across.   shipments have never been delayed of taxed by Customs.

Good information. Thank you.

I never pay extra fees and my daughter sends things using FEDEX which is very fast. The mail is painfully slow . If Holidays are involved it gets even slower, but I have had things sent from iherb and they do arrive in about a month to a month and a half.

travellight wrote:

I never pay extra fees and my daughter sends things using FEDEX which is very fast. The mail is painfully slow . If Holidays are involved it gets even slower, but I have had things sent from iherb and they do arrive in about a month to a month and a half.

Nice that you have a relative.  How does she describe the contents?  I checked the cost of a one kilo package from here Fedex Ground.  More than the shipment was worth to me.  It'll wait till my next trip north.

When i was moving down here i was going to be charged extra for my third suitcase,the Delta lady told me it would be cheaper just to ship it by fed ex.I had my friend ship it only for it to be returned to my home in Alabama.There is a list of things as long as your arm that you cant ship to México by fed ex or anyone for that matter.Clothes and shoes are on that list

If they don't get a chance to look...  'nuff said?

Prescription meds except what you bring in for immediate persional use in vials or tubes with your name and prescription number on original drugstore labels are also forbidden.

I paid a courier from a local Mexican store in hoover Alabama $70 he brought it straight to my door in Coatzacoalcos

stinkyboy1 wrote:

I paid a courier from a local Mexican store in hoover Alabama $70 he brought it straight to my door in Coatzacoalcos

Where there's a will, there's a way.

True indeed and no better people than Mexicans for finding that way

stinkyboy1 wrote:

True indeed and no better people than Mexicans for finding that way

True that!

I know the heading of this post is "mail from the USA" but i have been waiting on an extremely important letter sent from England on the 16th of November 2015.Thats coming up on 3 months.A letter from the UK to the USA takes 6 days.Now i dont know what route this letter has taken and We have Christmas in the equasion also.But should i give up on it or hang in There?

If it's anything like snail mail from the states, even "air mail," give it another couple od weeks.

Ok,thanks

Well it's usually part of a package including mail, so she likely describes it as documents which would be true. I send her the money to ship it by FedEx  or UPS and it's here in a week. I haven't tried big boxes , just small packages. I also shipped a small box to her when I was in Morelia. that was clothing and personal items. It was very fast and reasonable. Whats reasonable ? $30-60 depending on the importance of the items.

The larger items come slow mail from places like iherb. and they are quite reasonable. just very slow.

I'm beginning to think I picked the perfect area to live in. For the most part neither my mail or the slow boxes have to go through Texas. Not saying none of it goes through Texas ever , but it wouldn't be the fastest route. I suspect going through Texas can cause problems on occasion. I have never crossed that border, but I have heard some things about problems there.