Prachuap Khiri Khan...

GATHERING INFO ABOUT SOUTHERN BEACH COMMUNITIES....

Greetings:

My partner and I am in the process of researching beach communities and would like any advice anyone is willing to share.  We are planning to relocate to either a beach community or Chainge Mai later in the year.  We really like Prachuap Khiri Khan province and would love to hear from anyone in the area.  My partner John will most likely be working in an International school and I am not sure if there is even one in this province as we are just beginning our search.  Technically job offers will dictate where we will end up.  (We are both working towards CELTA-ESL CERTIFICATIONS.  John is currently a teacher in the states and holds a Masters, etc...)

Hua Hin in my opinion is way too touristy and I just don't think it has that much charm....

We plan on renting and would really like to have a stand alone house outside of the city.  While we prefer to be close to the beach, we dont mind a commute in.  In regard to housing, we are looking for a place large enough to have a great garden....

Looking to hear from anyone in the area to share their experiences.  We will be back in April to spend more time...

Anyone living in Nong Khon, Pran Buri, Ban Huai, ...?

Best!

Scott

I now live in Phetchabun but I lived in Prachuap for three years 2008-2011.  I lived just south of PKK city near a village call Klong Wan. Life is fairly laid back in this area and there are some great beaches-Ao Manao being one of the best in Thailand in my opinion.

Hua Hin-not my cup of tea but some folk like it, too many expats really.

International schools might be a problem in the PKK city area! There is one good Catholic school with a decent English programme, but international it ain't!

Housing-rentals can be had but expect to get out and about to look for them. There are a range of properties and rents from around 3000 baht can secure a decent place.

PKK has quite a few major shops now on the Highway but Hua Hin probably has a lot more.

PKK also has very good transport connections bus, train and mini bus.

If you can live with the smoke from burning fires, as the farmers do in Thailand, you may survive in C Mai. If you have any lung or breathing problems the south is better for you. Hua Hin has past it's prime. Many nice places in the Rayong area.

Many foreigners living in C Mai find themselves on the beaches near Rayong in the burning season in the North.

Don't know anything about P K K.  I live in Isaan North West Thailand   Nakhon Nowhere as we say here.  I live in Kalasin, last year they called it a city.

As a teacher myself, the government announced today a cap on foreign teachers salaries at 30,000 Baht per month. They have recalled 10,000 retired Thai teachers. I have been teaching 5 years in Thailand.

Wow!  Thank you so much for the feedback.

Thank you for the insight to the beach areas.

In regard to the schools, does this include the international schools?  Or public schools?  I wonder if schools will be doing any hiring at all?

Do you know why this occurred?   Will you be affected?

Unfortunately maybe we should look at Vietnam but we love Thailand!

Best!

Scott

I cannot comment on International Schools.   2 more robberies of foreign womens handbags yesterday in Phuket, both women in Hospital.

Schools are hiring Chinese and Philipinos  they pay them 10, 15,000 Baht.

I am not affected my College in Kalasin has kept my salary at 28,000 for the past 2 years, I have a degree in Education and work in the Computer Department, teaching computers from Thai books and teaching English.  I will retire end of term in February.

The government does not want to fund schools to pay foreigners.

There are many excellent English speaking Thai teachers who teach Tinglish....   Thai/English.   Alex

I have heard Vietnam pays around $25 an hour  for teachers and have heard some teachers can earn up to $60 and hour for private teaching after school hours. Vietnam in my opinion  is more of a forward thinking country and is developing fast and also welcomes westerners. In Thailand I feel there is to many problems economic wise and with a non elected government. I suggest you look at Vietnam to live and work in. If you not like it you can all ways move. I am not a teacher so you do need to check these rates out.

Prachuap Khiri Khan, and Chumphon are both nice places  and are nice places to live.  Know people in Prachuap Khiri Khan, and live near Chumphon.  Really need to spend a few days in each place, as there is a Farang population, but area is very Thai.  Prachuap Khiri Khan isn't that far from Hua Hin for shopping, and Chumphon has Tesco, Marko, and Big C so can buy most of what you need there.  Lots to do and friendly people.  Depends on you as to your enjoyment of the area.  It isn't Bangkok, or Hua Hin so much of what you do is up to you.  Just teaching in the local school system will expose you to lots of Farangs and Thai's.

Thank you for your comments.  Sounds perfect.  Small Town but close by!  We hope to be back on April!
Scott
Best!

@colbamumbai Chiang Mai is the pits during smoke season . Infact I'm done here. Heading to Prachuap Khiri khan to check it out .

Hello Takeit135,

Welcome on board !

Please note that you are participating on an old thread.

All the best

Bhavna