My expat husband is facing a legal problem

Like I said before, in many countries, ALL people have rights, but not here and not in most third world countries. The laws are just not meant to be fair, for anyone, let alone foreigners.
There are times when it it really hard not to speak up, like when a neighbor loves loud karaoke, or brings roosters home, or takes the muffler off of their motorcycle, or blasts large fire crackers all night and into the next day RIGHT next to your house.....   But always remember,  foreigners live at the whim of Filipinos. The phony congeniality the Philippines is known for last only so long. You will see how fast Filipinos will turn on you if you start to complain about anything.

Before I retired here in 2008 I read the forums and heeded one bit of advice which cropped up time and again. Never get into a fight with a Filipino because you will never win. . . .and never get into a legal battle because you won't win that either.

I know of two cases where ex pats did not heed that advice. One American has been in a court battle (on and off) for the past six years and another British ended up in jail and was deported.

Anyone thinking of settling here should understand that everything works differently from how it works at home (US/UK/AUST etc). We are guests here and need to understand their culture is different from ours and whereas we may not like some of it, we have a choice....stay and enjoy the good things here, or go home.

Well said, Jonnyboy, after the first three years went by I figured that out, it is their country and we are guests, it is easy to forget but so true.

yes..so true..we are a guest....so is that why i am working in india ...after my one year contract  we are off to thailand....my cottage in negros will be empty for awhile..

JOE CLOUGH wrote:

yes..so true..we are a guest....so is that why i am working in india ...after my one year contract  we are off to thailand....my cottage in negros will be empty for awhile..

Here are some data that relates to your current and planned future work locations:  http://www.symbianize.com/showthread.php?t=882609

Guys, we are not really guests in the Philippines. We are visitors and if we live here, we are foreigners staying at the whim of the Filipino government because we bring in money. A guest is "a person who is invited to visit the home of or take part in a function organized by another."

I believe most of us realize that we do not have any real rights here.  You can fight for what ever rights you believe you may have, but even if you think you "WIN"  usually, you lose in the end, some how, someway. 

I just came back from a trip home to the SF bay area of California. I saw Filipinos all around me and realized THEY had rights, whether they were immigrants, visitors, or native citizens, etc. That is the difference between the two countries.

Enjoy things here, but keep quiet and stay out of lawyers offices and away from any sort of confrontation with Filipinos.  In my opinion, the phony congeniality the Philippines is known for last only so long. You will see how fast Filipinos will turn on you if you start to have trouble with anything.

Sorry, don't agree. I am a permanent resident here (13a visa), and I KNOW   I have rights.

Me too Munchie - I am a permanent resident with PRA visa.

Yes spot on you will never win as the pendulum always will swing towards the Phillipana in 99% of cases, keep below the radar ! i rent and can move wherever i want ? dont want to be alarmist but heard a similar story about noise complaint and the xpat was shot dead by his neighbour two days later because he embarrassed the phillipino ? most of these locals own guns and even ive been told by the local police to arm myself even though highly illegal go figure ?

Donder31

You are spot on and your being very realistic.

There is not grey areas in your opinion.

Play the same game.  Buy the most powerful speakers you can afford and let it Rip!  Get a hotel room out of range problem solved.

tn101112 wrote:

Play the same game.  Buy the most powerful speakers you can afford and let it Rip!  Get a hotel room out of range problem solved.

That is a good way to handle the excess noise especially from the drunken vidoke parties.
Years ago I had a friend, a retired left seat captain 747 pilot with Swissair that lived in Masbate. Where he lived he built a 15 food solid fence around his place. Still, one neighbor constantly played his music loud enough that only a jet could drown in out. So, that is exactly what he did. He already had huge speakers. He put them at his back door aimed at the neighbors place. Then when needed he played an endless loop of fighter jets taking off with afterburners lit.

Well, needless to say it worked immediately as the neighbor could no longer hear his vidoke. The neighbor went to the PNP and the Brgy Police and filed a complaint. In the Brgy office my friend simply told them my neighbor likes loud rock an roll music and being a pilot, jet engines are music to my ears. Case dismissed and the neighbor learned a good lesson. To win here you just have to beat the locals at their own pitiful game.

Regards

Why does your neighbor hates his life? Sounds like he is projecting his frustration onto your husband! (And why is he drinking so heavily?)

Nothing you might do would work, JMHO.

Except perhaps having the guy beaten up when he is totally drunk ;)

Munchie. You are deluded

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : inappropriate

I used to get into loads of trouble when I was new here.  Now I use earplugs .... as far as language is concerned I learned Tagalog in the first 6 months 20 words a day.  I don't speak English outside my condo . You have to learn the language of every country you live in

100% correct

Munchie, your living in Dreamland. With your attitude your a candidate for deportation.

This is what happens when you get into a dispute with a Filipino:

https://philippineslifestyle.com/blog/2 … om-family/

Oh my!  I think the expat should create a legal group that can help the expat

First of all, ignore those who are rumor mongering or simply ignorant of how the things work here. Believe it or not, the Philippines is not a lawless land without rules. It is just that law enforcement is lax in implementing rules that are deemed minor like traffic and minor nuisances. This creates an environment that laws are not implemented here. When there is a grave threat to your well-being, they will help you.

We are not savages. We are just like every government in the world. A little inept but nothing so bad to be considered useless.

As a quick tip, ignore locals when they threaten to sue you for something minor since most of the locals are as ignorant as you regarding the law. The locals love to use power play like we know this Mayor or Police chief but everyone knows everybody here.

A random fact, someone threatened me in a minor traffic accident saying that they know our mayor and he was also posing as my father. LOL.

I know somebody who was shot in the back by an off duty cop over a 50 peso dispute here. Follow the advice of somebody who says it is safe to get involved in disputes here and you might end up in a body bag.

I agree with FortuneFavorsThe Bold just avoid any fight but if circumstances will not allow you to avoid this, do not put the law into your hands just go to the court and ask for the help of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines.  There are lawyers there who can assist you on what to do regarding lawless individuals.

Impressive work... Calif-native. 
I am visiting Philippines for 4+ months, with intention to move there. I will return to US clearing my way to make my way back to Philippines.
I was scammed by a few long distance relationships over 3 years that were costly monetary and emotionaly.
This will be my first trip and hoping it will be rewarding.
Thank you for your well written  commentary.
Sincerely, Tony Jones

Again, this is what can happen when you get into a dispute with a Filipino:

https://philippineslifestyle.com/blog/2 … om-family/

If you think you can handle a dispute like you can in a developed Country you might end up in a body bag.