Which area is best to live in and cost of living

Hello everyone

I hope someone there can help me. We are family of 4, 3 years old and 5 years old from the UK, I have been offered a job in Bahrain, salary 1,700 BD + health insurance.  My first question is the salary enough to live comfortably there.
Witch area is the best to live in? I would like to live close to the British community, and my work will be in Manama.
What is the best international school?
Is it better to buy a car or rent?
We are excited about the move but also nervous. Pic everything went to plan we should move around July.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Best regards
Sally

Sally2411 wrote:

Hello everyone

I hope someone there can help me. We are family of 4, 3 years old and 5 years old from the UK, I have been offered a job in Bahrain, salary 1,700 BD + health insurance.  My first question is the salary enough to live comfortably there.
Witch area is the best to live in? I would like to live close to the British community, and my work will be in Manama.
What is the best international school?
Is it better to buy a car or rent?
We are excited about the move but also nervous. Pic everything went to plan we should move around July.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Best regards
Sally

Hi Sally,

Salary is not bad you can survey but I feel salary should be 2000 or 2000+ so that you can easily live with your family.

There alot of international Schools i recommend St. Christopher's School : Bahrain

Bahrain is peaceful small country. Everyone is helpful in Bahrain.
I hope my answer help you.

Many thanks for your helpful reply. I appreciate your time.

Sally, that salary really isn't worth it. They should be offering you accommodation at least and kids' fees for school too.

There really is no British community. We're scattered all over the place. A lot of families would choose to live in the Saar area if they could though but that means villa accommodation unless you're happy in a two bed flat which, furnished, will set you back about BD500 a month for a decent one.

You can join the clubs to meet more of the Brits. That's around BD200 a year for family membership depending on which club you join.

Someone somewhere mentioned English teaching (ahem ;-) but that's a non-starter here for supporting a family on. The few who would pay for private lessons expect to pay a non-native speaker teacher who will work for salaries you wouldn't consider worthwhile. It's not something that is a viable money-earner like it might be in other countries.

suburbansam wrote:

Sally, that salary really isn't worth it. They should be offering you accommodation at least and kids' fees for school too.

There really is no British community. We're scattered all over the place. A lot of families would choose to live in the Saar area if they could though but that means villa accommodation unless you're happy in a two bed flat which, furnished, will set you back about BD500 a month for a decent one.

You can join the clubs to meet more of the Brits. That's around BD200 a year for family membership depending on which club you join.

Someone somewhere mentioned English teaching (ahem ;-) but that's a non-starter here for supporting a family on. The few who would pay for private lessons expect to pay a non-native speaker teacher who will work for salaries you wouldn't consider worthwhile. It's not something that is a viable money-earner like it might be in other countries.

Hello and hank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post, I appreciate your comments. I see you are in Bahrain since March, I hope you are enjoying being there.
You are right about the fact that they should pay for accommodation or kids school fees, I still haven't negotiated my final salary, but I will make sure they offer me something better. In other forums I have received many not very encouraging comments about  the salary I was offered compared to the cost of living in Bahrain with 2 small kids, which was an eye opener for me. At the moment my 2 kids are very comfortable in London, attending all sort of music and sport activities/ classes,  learning already 3 languages and I don't want to deprivate them from all of that.
It is hard for me to make my mind up, especially the move will hopefully enhance my careers which I started 5 years ago. I am nervous as I don't know the country and I don't know exactly how much things cost over there.
Again thank you very much for your reply and any more advice will be highly appreciated.
Regards
Sally

You're welcome Sally. That's what the expat community is for.

If you want your children to enjoy the same extra-curricula activities that they have in London, you are going to have to pay for it here. I have a friend who teaches piano to children. The going rate is £37 an hour. I don't know how that compares to London prices for piano lessons, but one child has ballet, horse riding, piano, swimming and violin lessons. That's going to add up.

Finding tutors for three languages might be tough here, unless you want them to be Asian languages rather than European ones.

I wonder if you are a UK passport holder. I can tell that you are not a native speaker although you are obviously at a high IELTS band for writing. Many opportunities in the Middle East depend not on your qualifications and experience but rather on your passport and skin colour. That's an unfortunate reality which many of us struggle with living here.

I first came to the Middle East when I was five and I absolutely loved the expat lifestyle. I guess part of that was that my parents both worked and were being paid well and salaries were a lot higher than expenses back then. Living abroad for most of my childhood was the best thing my parents ever did for me. I share that experience to let you know that moving overseas can be a real blessing for children... provided you help them reintegrate into their passport culture if they ever have to go back (which, incidentally, my parents failed to do!)

I've visited every Gulf state except Oman and lived in three of them. Bahrain is by far the most relaxed I've experienced and so it is a good place to start off with in the Gulf if you are going to make the leap. But if you and your family have never lived in the Gulf (or overseas) before, the area can be a tough one to settle in and you need to consider not just your career but what's best long-term for your family.

Hello  Suburbansam

Happy new year. I hope 2016 bring you everything you wish for.
Thank you for the info, it is very helpful. Is it ok to private message you?

Many thanks
Sally

of course

Hi sally..
My husband and I moved to Bahrain last July from London, so just been here 6 months.

Would it just be your salary you will get? If this is so it is not a lot considering you have children etc with schooling.
I live in adliya which is nice and convenient and close to British club but I think Saar, hamala is more for compounds with expats and amwaj..

The country is lovely and very relaxed but I must say there isn't as much to do as in London etc and like people have said you pay quite abit for activities, cost of living is higher apart from fuel.

I hope this helps and good luck

Hi,
There is a news that, government planning to increase the cost of living. Please check it before.

Hello Samantha,

Thank u very much for yr reply, yes I heard about it, this hopefully another barging point with my future employer to increase the offered salary.

Many thanks
Sally

Hello Brookes

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. The company will be paying insurance and school fees only. I can imagine that Bahrain will be completely different from London, it will be hard change for us and the kids. How are you finding the change? Do you have kids? We are excited but at the same time nervous. I'm still waiting for the start date to be confirmed.

Any advic reg state agency, place to rent a car, etc will be appreciated

Thanks

I rented a car over christmas with Budget and it was cheap ~ $99 for the week.
(It was a disgusting piece of junk - but that's another story ;) )

The trick is to change the location to Bahrain, so you're booking through their local version of the website then you get local prices.

I actually did it via the saudi version of the website, as I'm here now, but i think the same principal applies.

The middle east local rates will blow away any price they'll quote on a western (UK) website.

That's good they paying insurance and school fees, that would be a large chunk of or salary gone otherwise.
The cost of living here is more so you should defo negotiate with employer!! What about housing allowance, some employers offer this even if just small amount to help.

We don't have children so it is easier for us to live  where we are as not much to do for kids. 
I am finding it a little tough tbh, but I think cause I'm just missing family and friends.  I think it's easier when you have children to stay in a compound

Where will you be working?

Amanda

Hello,

I'll b working in Manama.

Hiya Sally, 
In comparison to London,  Bahrain is so much more laid back. The British are spread all around Manama, and friends are made easily. I came with two older kids five months ago. They have settled and do enjoy it. You do have to pay for clubs and extra activities for the kids. I do rent a car to drive around. Financially,  it depends on how much you spend on things. I do have extra at the end of the month with a salary similar to yours. However I do more home cooked meals, rather than eat out. My kids are just about starting clubs outside school.   You won't miss the stress here.
Good luck with your impending move here.

Denfree7

Denfree7 wrote:

Hiya Sally, 
In comparison to London,  Bahrain is so much more laid back. The British are spread all around Manama, and friends are made easily. I came with two older kids five months ago. They have settled and do enjoy it. You do have to pay for clubs and extra activities for the kids. I do rent a car to drive around. Financially,  it depends on how much you spend on things. I do have extra at the end of the month with a salary similar to yours. However I do more home cooked meals, rather than eat out. My kids are just about starting clubs outside school.   You won't miss the stress here.
Good luck with your impending move here.

Denfree7

Hello Denfree7

Thank u very much for your comments. It is very comforting. Which area  do you think is best for a family with kids? We are thinking of Sarr? Do you know anything about this area? In term of after school clubs, are they linked to schools or independent clubs?
We have applied for St Christopher school, & the British school for the next academic year.
Many thanks

Hello Sally,
If you haven't already you should try and negotiate a higher salary, and negotiate for pretty much anything in Bahrain as they always expect you to so will give a number to something that they know they can budge on. Saar is a family dominated area with most accommodation being villas, there is Saar shopping mall and a few coffee shop kind of places, cinema and a couple of social clubs (Dilmen Club and Rugby club-which doesn't just do rugby ;) ) Adliya and Juffair seems to be where most of the nightlife is as well as restaurants and hotels.

I would say there isn't one place, brits are scatter all around but should locate yourself somewhere which has what you need (close to schools, work, social clubs etc). No where in Bahrain is far away so it isn't really a problem.

If your planning to stay 2+ years then buying would be better but less and renting is what most say. I personally like renting as if anything goes wrong they will help you. The cheapest car rental I have found (and currently still use) is 129BD a month with Budget for a Nissan Sunny which is in good nick.