UK and US citizens with EHIC cards accessing public health care

Hi guys,

Sorry, I know this is probably possible to find on Google but we're just confused and have been receiving conflicting information.

I am British, my husband is American but has a UK right to work permit (through EEA family visa) until 2018. We both are entitled to use the NHS and have EHIC cards.

I know EHIC is meant for emergencies abroad, but I have heard from some British people living in Romania that they show their EHIC card when visiting a (public) doctor in Romania and that it's usually enough. Will this work if I want to visit doctors while in Cluj, or would I need to (as my friend tells me) register at the "insurance house" in order to access the public healthcare system? Someone on here has said that this now requires proving I am NOT insured in the UK... impossible when they have the NHS and I am not willing to someone invalidate my right to use the NHS just for what might be a 6 month stint in Romania...

As for private health insurance, unfortunately it isn't an option for my husband as he is diabetic and the private insurance doesn't cover pre-existing conditions (at least, this is what we have learnt from searching the internet).

So... would it be a case of booking a public doctor's appointment, showing the EHIC card and paying whatever "bribes" are necessary for medication... or is it going to be a more drawn-out bureaucratic affair with visits to offices and the sourcing of bits of paper that we don't have?

Any info would be greatly appreciated....

gaj86 wrote:

Any info would be greatly appreciated....

First off, you might want to refer to this NHS page that talks about the EHIC and treatment while abroad, as not all services are covered.  This one may also be of use, which talks about Romania.  From what it says there, your husband would NOT be covered with the EHIC card.

Otherwise, it should be sufficient to show the EHIC card at the doctor and receive treatment.  Whether or not costs will occur depends on what will be needed.  When scripts are written/typed in the computer, there is an area to describe the category of the insured patient, and EHIC is among those classifications.  Now it may happen that the doctor is not familiar or experienced with seeing these cards and go into "nu se poate" mode, so it may need to be explained to them.  This is especially true for the state doctors, which is what you would have to use with the EHIC card, they are typically less competent than the private doctors.

Failing that, yes you can pay cash for a consultation with a state or private doc which should be between 70-120? RON plus the costs of any medications/tests/treatment.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

I think we had the same problem, Went to ANAF( Fiscal Administration ) paid national insurance contribution  for the past 6 months 420 Ron , had a copy of my husband temporary residency , copy of our marriage certificate and copy of my id card. I registered on my name and took him as co-insured. They put us in a data base and we could register with the public health service, we went to a GP , refereed us to diabetes doctor. The EHIC card is valid in case of emergency.
This is a case of British retired with private pension and no income in Romania.
So as long as you pay your contribution to Romanian National Insurance, both of you are registered.
Good luck!
Florina