Paid 2k more rent than flat is advertised for online. What do I do?

Hi all,

My first post and in need of some advice.

I have lived in Malta for approximately 20 months, in the same apartment the whole time. The first contract was for six months, the second for a year and the most recent another six months. Each one listed on the contract 500e rent a month (6k annually).

Recently I found the apartment (it's one of six identical apartments in a block) advertised for much less than I have been paying. For long term lets the apartments are advertised for 450e peak (6 months) and 350e (off peak). (4.8k annually).

It appears that I have been well and truly ripped of and have paid between 1,800e and 2,200e more than the flat is advertised for.

What do I do? Regardless that I agreed a contract, this is false advertising. For all I know it could be tax evasion.

If anyone knows much about the ins and outs of this I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

@chucktaylor1

I don't see how it's false advertising. You got an apartment to live in, in exchange for rent, right? As you mentioned, you signed a contract; so you were aware of the price and terms...and agreed to them. 

People do the same thing every day buying new cars from dealers.  2 people can get the same exact spec car, and pay significantly different amounts.  You agreed to the price and received what was promised in return, there's no recourse.  It's not the dealers fault that you agreed to the price and terms

Chalk it up as a lesson learned, maybe a bruising to your ego, and do better research next time.

Romaniac

At least the rent has not gone up for the last 20 months!

Live with it or move on.

Terry

You agreed a price you paid it - you can't then moan beacause the price of similar places isn't the same - if you don't like it move - but do your  research so you can haggle on the rent

I can understand ...a bit frustrating but...price it' s up to landlord. If he wants can also rent for free.....or maybe it depends by the low season..
Tax evasion?  You must have the proof that he takes 1000 and in the contract is written 900...but he should have done the same with you..so i think he just put the price down...

As has been said by others - this might sure feel frustrating, but I don't think there's anything you can do, and I doubt there is anything illegal about what your landlord has done...

And personally, I guess it's actually the advertised price that is not correct. That is, I believe if anyone were to respond to the advertisement and ask for the flat for the cheaper price, there'd be some excuse why in fact, the apartment is no longer available for that price, but indeed costs 500 EUR (or even more). At least that's what has happened to us - not in Malta, but in Austria. Flats are often advertised for a cheaper price than what you'll actually pay in the end (there are many excuses: extra costs not included in the advertised price; the advertised apartment no longer available, but a similar one for a higher price; or - as was the case with our last landlady - simply "Oh, that was a mistake, I meant to write another price in the ad...")

So in the end, what can you do? If you ask me, like Rob said: be glad the rent wasn't raised for the last 20 months.

This is actually completely normal. Almost all the flats we viewed had different prices depending on where they have been advertised. For example I found Perry and Remax estate agents to quote up to €200 more rent per month for the exact same property I viewed with Belair or Steps Properties.

What I did was a Google search e.g. "2 bed apartment Birkirkara" and then searched 10-20 pages worth of ads. That way I even came across private ads on Maltapark, often considerably cheaper! Then I used the price I found on here and made the offer - which was accepted.

Sorry to say that, as annoying as it is, but it's entirely up to you how much you end up paying.

Pure contract law. You signed a contract with a specified monthly rental for a specified apartment. That's the bottom line. It makes no difference (in legal terms) what other apartments are renting for, even if they're identical, once the contract is signed. The time for that is before signing on the dotted line, during negotiations. Clearly you've learned a costly lesson about what we call "gringo gouging" here, and you'll research the rents on similar apartments before you rent again.

In legal terms the landlord has broken no laws. Certainly not the most ethical or moral practice, but completely legal, sad to say.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Honestly, it just sounds like capitalism - the landlord asked, you agreed, everyone was happy. And depending on where the flat is, the rent is determined by many more factors than just the rents of the flats around it.

It also sounds like a good bargaining position for your next renewal, if you want to stay there.

If you want to pursue false advertising or tax evasion allegations and attempt to recover money, you should see an attorney.

Speak to the owner and tell him! If you mention it to the owner they will respect you more for it, if he/she doesn't like it then leave! Because now is the time to find a new apartment and not in Summer!

Obviously dont try and argue, im sure they will understand....i mean if you have been there already 20 months - the owner would be stupid to let you leave.

Do your homework before making a decision tho - you rent sounds quite cheap! If you want to share with us what area you are living in, how many bedrooms and finish i could roughly tell you if you have a good deal or not.

Prices go up every year, even for rubbish apartments!