I married a Kenyan and moving there-scared

Hello everyone;
I'm a Canadian missionary who has travelled to kenya and married a Kenyan last year, and will be joining his once again in Feb/Mar.2011, and planning on staying for good with him and my son in MOmbasa.  I am a little bit nervous and scared, but I guess that is normal.  Looking to make new friends soon.  I also am excited to be joining my husband in 93 days of course, but going from Canada to Africa will be a huge adjustment even tho I've ben to Nairobi and Mombasa 3x already.

I also will be living with him in Mshomoroni, some little 'town' outside of Mombasa, and I will have my own money for awhile, and has anyone else married a Kenyan and stayed there with their spouse.  I would like to know more about health insurance for ex-pats.  And whats available to ex-pats even tho they are married to a local, and will I be still considered 'ex-pat' despite me marrying a local?

The shots are up to date, and I already know what to expect-pit latrines, not much privacy, etc etc, but I also am going as a full time missionary, and whatever can fit into our suitcases is all I am taking.

I love Kenya, its culture, its people, its food, and more importantly my own husband, but in some ways, I am also nervous, and good Lord I hope that is normal.  LOL.

Welcome to Expat.com africanqueen37 :)

You can also try the Kenya Expat Network page to make friends and networking.

For health insurance for expats in Kenya, you can also view this link. It might help you :)

I wish you all the best, and hope you will make lot contacts via this site. Let me seize this opportunity to wish you good luck and I sincerely hope that you will adapt in your new environment :)

Regards

(moderated: off topic.you should post under classifieds > personals. and please note that you are not on a dating site)

Hi
I was interested to read your post.  I am married to a Kenyan and moved to Kenya (Nairobi, then Thika) about 6 years ago.  I have never regretted the move.  I too was apprehensive about moving here, but these fears were unfounded.

Re: your comments about privacy and toilets...........I dont know where you visted before, but we have western style flush toilets and as much, or as little privacy as required, paved roads, electricity, shops.  In fact, my quality of life here is far superior to my life in the UK and the house we have is of a standard that would be out of reach for most britons.

I have married into a large supportive family and I have almost no contact with expats.

You are moving here at a good time, as the new constitution should soon allow dual nationality.

With regard to continuing your missionary work; be aware that all work, including voluntary is illegal without proper paperwork.

Regarding health matters, getting your own health insurance is to be recommended.  Medical care is very expensive.  This should cost about Kes 40,000 per annum and is subject to age and a medical.

Let me know if there is anything else.

Regards

Rupert

Oh and I would recommend packing a container and shipping as many clothes, white goods etc as you can, if you are moving here permanently.  My personal philosophy is that you are in a better position to help others if your own needs are taken care of!!!

dont worry you will be fine. Make sure you register with your embassy upon arrival.
Watch out for malaria and open an emergency bank account in your name only!